Goodbye Catalyst Control Center :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Nov 2, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i have 16gb.

Everytime i disable it it casues havoc, so i dont bother anymore.

2. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    my pagefile is just set to 4gigs.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    16GB here. What kind of havoc?

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    random system halts, games chugging, monitoring programs returning wacky results, etc...

just random bizzare behavior...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's weird as that happens when I have it enabled.

6. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    No problem here disabling Pagefile, over 4 years and running. Win7/8/8.1 and now 10.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    WH40k: DoW2 - Retribution will not even start (at least it did not few years back) with message that you have insufficient memory.

8. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Hey you guys might be interested to know that Crimson is launching on November 24th.

I can't reveal my source, sorry. I can only assure you that this is the most accurate launch date information as of today. That's all I know.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's just a check they added, it doesn't mean much. You can disable the check using this parameter -disablepagefilecheck

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I have very similar issuesn when it's disabled. I'm really waiting for TH2 to see how compressed ram wll work in the Windows world. Everywhere else I used it (mainly Linux), it has been a very nice experience. As it seems, I won't have the time to apply Blackfyre's advice about double the size of RAM for pagefile (on the SSD), since my PSU hopefully arrives on the 19th.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It has been well known for many years that not having a page file can cause problems. It is also known that setting a fixed size for the file and not letting Windows manage it itself improves performance. With a fixed size pagefile (min and max values the same), it does not get fragmented which is the main reason for the better performance.

Long ago, it was recommended to have a page file 1.5 times the size of the installed RAM. In today's world, with many computers having 4-8 GB of RAM or more, this is no longer needed. Setting a fixed pagefile size of 1 GB or even only 512 MB is almost always sufficient. I run with 1 GB myself.

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    cant tell if joking..

weve know this for a couple days.

13. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I did lower the pagefile size to 1GB and guess what, ANNO 2205 didn't like it. Right after i loaded the map, my system froze and my screen went black.

The system memory usage was only at 5Gb, but because the game still wanted to make a bigger cache than 1GB, it moved the cache to the memory.
    As soon as my system reached the 8,4 GB (5GB use + cache files) my system crashed immediately.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The key is the committed bytes (committed RAM).

Because for whatever reason the game needs to commit (reserve/lock for him) more ram (real or real+page file) than the total amount of your RAM and pagefile.

Even if there a lot of ram showed as "free" the committed memory reserved by a process can only be used by this process.

You can have 8 GB showed as free ram and have 16 GB committed from a process and run out of usable memory.

When i had only 16 GB or RAM i had to left the page file enabled while playing GTA V because it committed even more than this amount of ram despite the ram reported as used was only 6 GB.

When i upgraded to 32 GB of RAM i was able to disable the page file and play the game without any memory problem because it can now commit all the ram it want from real ram.

I still don't know why a game needs to lock for him such HUGE amount of RAM.

:3eyes:

15. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    The only problem I encountered with no pagefile is, Star Wars Force Unleashed doesn't want to run and shows an obscure error message.

16. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    EDIT:"Let's just forgot about everything i just wrote here. I just know to little about this whole pagefile thing. Fact is that a pagefile of 1GB isn't enough to play Anno 2205.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Try adding the -disablepagefilecheck theoneofgod said before to the game .exe shortcut.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    What's the benifit of running a game without a pagefile? Does it really improve performance much?

19. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    I'm not too concerned with AMD spending some time on a reskin. It's low-hanging fruit. Of course I'm expecting more and I would be disappointed if we don't get an improvement to overhead.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its not a reskin.

It redone from the ground up in QT.

CCC was done in .net.