Goodbye Catalyst Control Center :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Nov 2, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Point taken. Still, even by using policies that might be frowned upon (although used from the most popular PC gaming software out there, including ReShade), they have to close the parity gap. If using turbos is frowned up, but you win the race, then use the damn things.

Oh, I agree. I didn't ask for DX12. What I said is that it's a travesty for one card from that era to get DX12, while the other one doesn't even get driver support.

2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I believe a read somewhere that the Terascale shaders arent advanced enough to handle the lowest feature level

something about grouping IIRC.

3. Clocknut

Clocknut Member

GPU:
    Palit 750Ti StormX Dual
    if u read carefully, I merely ask for Radeon Software to be GCN only. A clean sheet/reset, not bloated with HD5000/6000 support.

Support for HD5000/6000 can be done with continuing CCC. It is not like HD5000/6000 drivers need monthly updates anyway, AMD hasnt touch 5000/6000 a while. So maintaining CCC isnt gonna cost a lot of resources, but at least with this direction, it allows ccc to be more tuned for VLIW, Radeon software to be more GCN specific, free from legacy support.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sounds like a good idea to me.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AMD seems comitted to GCN so I don't see any problems with them doing that as long as they keep updating CCC. It's too early to know if the new software is just aesthetically changed (in the preview the person says "and some performance improvements", which is a bit of a disappointment).

6. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Ti
  7. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
  8. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    From what I understand the big core change happened after the Omega 14.4 drivers.

The Omega drivers were the big "last version" before the big kernel code change integration at AMD.

Every drivers that followed after were improving on this new kernel... fixing bugs .. performance etc.

It is believable when they say that only "some performance" improvements will be seen. The kernel will get bugfixes and optimisations but I doubt many expect the new CCC replacement to have a giant effect on performance. That is not what CCC can do.

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Well considering the tested Crimson driver is 15.11 in those details that got released earlier in the week. It was obvious that AMD was aiming for a November release.

I believe personally that, it'll come out around the time TH2 for Windows 10 is released (that has been signed off by Microsoft last night). Just like 15.7 WHQL with the release of Windows 10.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    That would be the best scenario. DWM will change quite a lot for TH2, and I believe that there would have been a lot of breakage if the driver didn't change.

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    That's a good point, btw even the way Windows will handle RAM management has changed with TH2 (expecting performance improvements, not sure about gaming, but across the board). Could very well be even bundled with the Upgrade for everyone. And could very well support HD4000 and HD5000.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I hope the new ISOs created with the Microsoft tool, are TH2 ones. As for memory management, they are finally doing what Linux has been doing for ages (zram), and what OSX has been doing for more than two years now. Depending on your system, Windows will prefer to compress RAM contents instead of writing to the pagefile. I smell stutter improvements :D :nerd:

13. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    compression is pretty CPU heavy, im not sure it would improve anything if you are using an SSD.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    That really depends on the algorithm used. In most cases, for anything more modern than a P4, it should be faster to compress with a light algorithm, than use the pagefile and all of the I/O mess included into that. Even the fastest SSD's are tens of times slower than RAM (especially if you consider the whole I/O bottleneck, because the data has to pass through controllers, the chipset-CPU interconnect etc).

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    What about adding REAL RAM vs compressing?

A lot of ppl say SSD is the best upgrade for a PC.

I think it comes in second place to add more RAM to a gaming rig.

No matter how fast is the SSD, it will (normally) only help performance in games in the launch process and reducing loading times between phases.
    If a game need constant access to disk to read data like textures because there is no place to have them always in RAM more RAM is more important than SSD.

Some game devs are very lazy in regard to memory management optimization in PC: in consoles (One/PS4) they only have 8 GB of shared RAM for GPU and CPU and in XBOX 360 only 512 mega!

I.E. in PC GTA V need to commit 16 GB of ram or ram+pagefile to run in some cases (settings in high).

Batman and Windows 10 could be another example with his minimum of 12 GB of ram to somewhat run normally but i don't really consider it a finished game in PC. :3eyes:

Of course more ram and the use of an SSD disk partition for games folders it's the best scenario.

:D

16. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Ah I guess I misunderstood you then. If you read back to my first post I mentioned splitting the driver, not dropping support altogether. That means a new legacy driver and a GCN only driver. This would allow them to isolate and fix some of the long standing bugs for those cards without worrying about the impact on the newer cards. Hell they could even make the driver work all the way back to the 2000 series cards since they are the same base architecture and give some of the old hardware new life in Win 10. I know I am dreaming here though.

Yeah unless your CPU is 100% maxed out on a task, memory compression should be faster than paging even on an SSD.

The issue with that is if what you're playing doesn't need more RAM, then adding more gets you nothing. An SSD is ALWAYS going to give a performance boost if you are coming from spinning disk. I would not trade my SSD for more RAM.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Of course if you don't need more ram, more ram is useless.

I have 32 GB of ram and the pagefile is disabled, the time needed to access the pagefile that i don't have and don't need in my SSD is greatly improved:

Now it's equal to ZERO ms. :D

The performance of an SSD disk over a normal HDD will only appear during gameplay if the disk need to be accessed constantly to read the pagefile (virtual ram).

I don't consider gameplay time the game launch and the time spent loading next phase.

If the game only need to access the disk at game starts and between phases because you have enough RAM there is no gameplay advantage to have an SSD compared to a normal HDD.

An SSD is only an advantage for gaming when you need constant access to disk WHILE playing because you need to access pagefile and you don't have enough real ram to avoid it.

Obviously the time needed to read the pagefile from an SSD is very short compared to a normal HDD but it's several magnitudes higher than access real RAM.

18. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    15.11 WHQL is coming & Windows 10 TH build 10586 update very soon. 15.11 WHQL is going to have Fallout 4 as well as Black Ops 3 from the beta.

also keep in mind that the 15.11 beta is not the same as the 15.11 WHQL because that driver has Shader Cache while this one does not.

19. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    source of WHQL info?

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    There is a whole concept of virtual memory addressing in Windows, which is not as simple as the notion of a pagefile. You need that no !matter the ram you have. Not having a pagefile can be a source of trouble or weird behavior, as the working set of an app, is sometimes very different than the amount of memory it seems to be using. That's a huge discussion.

While I believe too that a separate driver for GCN and the rest, would be for the best, I don't trust AMD at all in maintaining it. Most likely it would transform to the driver GPUs use when they die.