Good time to jump to DDR5?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Radical_53, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I was wondering if this could be a good time to make the jump to DDR5?

I'm currently running a Z690 DDR4 board and my RAM has been with my for the better part of 5 years.
    The latest benchmarks I saw showed better performance for DDR5, am I correct? The initial reviews were more of a draw between the two and DDR5 was extremely pricey at that time.
    As my board started giving me trouble again, I was thinking about an up-/sidegrade to get around this.
    I always like to run high-performance memory but I don't really overclock the CPU anymore (well not by much at least).

Any input is welcome! :)

2. BingoBob

BingoBob Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FT
    I doubt it's a good time to jump on. Still very early. I on the other hand have no choice.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU

What kind of DDR4 RAM do you have that is losing to DDR5? You can upgrade to faster DDR4 if you need it for a better price than DDR5, not even counting a new MB.

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    32GB Samsung B-Die (G.Skill), but an early and lower bin. They’re fine for 3600C16 or 3800C18.

It’s been out for at least a year now and the current kits look much better than they did, both price-wise and performance-wise.
    Prices now look roughly the same for both & DDR4 still has a resale value.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    depends how much you're willing to spend.

Why_Me likes this.
  6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Nothing :D No, the idea is this: It should be possible to switch the board around for a DDR5 model for a small to no surcharge. At least I think that should be possible? Haven't checked yet.
    RAM would cost more, but I'd still get money for my old kit.
    So the idea would end up with something like the same board (TUF Z690), DDR5 instead of DDR4, and a fast kit. 32GB 6000MHz perhaps? For the games & apps that benefit from memory, I'd think this could mean a good increase in performance.

So much for my idea at least. Most numbers are almost a year old...

7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Is that even possible ?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    12700k would definitely perform better with ddr5. If you can switch the motherboards sell your old ram and buy a 6000 cl32.

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks guys.

I'd need to check, to be honest. Prices for good DDR4 kits are still as high as they used to be & I'd guess there'd be someone interested in my lower-tier, yet still B-Die 32GB kit. It's still a faster setup than loose timings DDR4000, as far as I remember (for gaming at least).
    To be honest I only started looking into this when my current board started to give me trouble after the latest update & when I read the news about DDR5 prices dropping.

10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I think bdie is pretty much eol at this point, like micron e-die. I happen to have a pretty decent bin I got for 95eur two years ago that im either going to use w. a 12 gen build now or sell once they are scarce and expensive on second hand market. Since 13th gen was announced 12th gen has not dropped on price,but z690 ddr4 boards have become substantially cheaper than z690 D5.Im very tempted to try a 12700f+ z690 ddr4 build but it's going to be a little wasteful until I can get at least 3080 12g class GPU at the very least

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Prices may have dropped, but then last year Asus for example (others also possibly) had all sorts of cashback going on. Even if I had to pay something for using it the first year it'd be fine ;)
    It's not that I'd need the performance right now but I think I'd lose more money if I swapped my stuff later on.