Good, supported sound card for Win 10?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by meimeiriver, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I am looking for some advice on a good sound card. I thought finding one would be easy, but, to my great dismay, there are severe issues with almost cards I'm interested in. I'm on Windows 10, 64-bit, btw. Here is what I gathered so far:

1) The 'Asus Xonar Essence STX II 7.1' was my first choice. Then, upon some googling, I found out ASUS only offers crappy 8.1.11.5 beta (!) drivers for Win 10 64-bit. And they have pretty much ababdoned this card (last beta update was from November last year). How they get away with this is beyond me.

2) So, I figured a 'STRIX RAID DLX 7.1' it is then. Same issue, though: only silly beta drivers available (and a firmware update, which is also beta, LOL).

3) A trusted 'Creative Sound Blaster Zx(R)' then? A bit of googling quickly revealed that these cards constantly 'fall away' in your Device Manager, and act as if it's completely absent.

Seriously, my irritation level is pretty high, right now. LOL, no seriously. I mean, I have like 200-300 Euros to spend on a good audio card, and the ones I find either have hardware issues, or are as good as completely unsupported (beta crap drivers, no longer being updated).

So, I'm looking for a bit of advice on getting a good card. I'd say I lean towards 'audiophile' over 'gamer,' and I'd like a strong (hi-fi) head-phones out on my card, that will support at least 5.1 sound playback.

Thank you for staying with me this far. :)

2. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    Get the Essence STX II 7.1 and download the UNi Xonar Drivers problem solved.

The whole Strix lineup is just way overpriced "gaming" garbage if you ask me.

3. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Member

GPU:
    GTX 980

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, Strix audio is crap. :)

I heard about the UNi Xonar Drivers, and saw it support the STX II series, but I think it requires you to turn off the signed-drivers requirement (for all drivers, everywhere); and I haven't read about someone actually using the Essence STX II 7 itself. It appears my only solution, though, I think.

4. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    I have used the Essence STX II (without daughter board) with UNI Xonar drivers for over a year on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Never had a single problem with the card or the UNi drivers. I'm not really a "power" user though. Used it to connect my stereo monitors and stereo headphones. So stereo usage only without any upmixing/downmixing or that virtual 5.1/7.1 speaker crap.

I never had to turn off signed-drivers requirement to install the UNi drivers.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    STX II is the best pc sound card you can get AFAIK. Just get the non-7.1 edition, unless you need 5.1 or 7.1 for speakers. I'm using the Asus drivers at the moment on Win 10 64bit, work perfectly. Went for the Uni Xonar drivers first up but the Asus audio control panel wouldn't work, I read the c-media one does but just gave up on them for now. Might try them again at some point, but Asus drivers work no probs for me.

6. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Yeah, not really into "any upmixing/downmixing or that virtual 5.1/7.1 speaker crap" either. :) And I play CD audio simply as stereo. I do like to play a game, occassionally, and then 5.1 (not upmix) really adds to realism.

This us interesting to hear. :) Thx.

7. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Each one you talked about will work fine. Asus always uses the word "beta"

For me..when it comes to sound.. nice to hear what others are using yet.. most likely will NOT be the same for others. Buy it..make sure you can return it.. your self.