1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good registry cleaner

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Messerschmitt, Jan 12, 2009.

1. blowdart

blowdart Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 [216] 896MB
    I don't use registry cleaners.
    Little benefit and high risk.
    There's nothing wrong with my registry, and even if some keys need to be removed, I do it manually. After making a backup of the registry ofcourse.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'll give them a try cheers:D

***EDIT***

CRC just found 1007 errors on my rig! lol ffs:bang::3eyes:

I'm liking PerfectDisk. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
  4. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I would recommend bein very carefull with many registry cleaners they can sometimes make your OS unbootable dependings on circumstance. And I know some of you have no problems with that but either way be careful I have had to work on enough computers where registry cleaners Hosed the OS

5. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream

+1 to that!!!

i`m still grieving over the fact that RegCure found a Gazillion errors so i fixed them, then spent 3 days trying to get my computer back before reinstalling windows, it made a right hash of it!!!

6. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    No problemo. Time to go play some more Fallout 3.

7. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

Free: CCleaner
    Not Free: TuneUp Utilities

I have used both for quite some time now with no ill-effect.

8. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Quick question. Are these suppose to be used in Safe Mode or Normal?

Also, would you use TuneUp Defragmentation, or is it better to use the Windows one?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    You yourself are the best registry cleaner. Yeah, it's very (very, very) time consuming to do the whole thing, it is by far the best way. I use CCleaner for automated cleaning, but once every couple of months, I'll sit down and weed through the garbage it may have missed.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I don't use any anymore. A registry cleaner really is quite useless. It does absolutely nothing other than make you feel that your system is cleaner. In reality windows manages the registry just fine by itself, you don't need to help it along.

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
  12. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Beware guys/gals , of any Registry correcting or Tampering. I know it's a flawed system and Microsoft doesn't include a Registry Fixer but I bought a legitimate Registry Correction Program or Utility for 2009 and Microsoft made me reinstall my Activation Key or Windows XP Pro Edition Serial Number (which is legit and not pirated) over the internet and because that was disabled my Microsoft, I then had to phone a 1-800 number and was then told, over the phone, the correct set of numbers to retype. I am now back on my computer and did have Administrative Privileges but now have Limited User rights and NO Add/Remove Program capability in Control Panel (The icon and associated reference to it are deleted by the Microsoft Corporation).
    So be careful and aware of the Microsoft License Agreement that you agreed to. Microsoft has the right, according to the Agreement, to Disable all or part of the Microsoft OS (at any time, without NOTICE) , as they see fit, and you can't do anything about it. So be careful. Do I have proof of this, yes. It is fully documented with my camera because I couldn't believe that Microsoft had that much power.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I've been using various reg cleaners for the last God knows how many years and I never had a serious issue like that. I think you were seriously unlucky to have such an issue! Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but I did like to use JV16 but haven't had a copy for a while now!

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    The hole story (OS thread) just sounds made up.

But i didn't want to wast my time and thought it better to just ignore. Which i think i will.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I use CCleaner...

I haven't read the thread yet that Animatrix is referring to, but I will say to Doomster that your above post doesn't add up.

You see, all Windows XP installations create an Administrator account which can be accessed via Safe Mode.
    If no other account is created then the Administrator account becomes the default user account, so your story doesn't really hold together very well does it....

EDIT: Ok I just read the other thread, and yeah.......there seems to be a few holes in there alright.... that's all I'm going to say..bye.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009

16. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    +1 to CCleaner because it does everything else cleaning related too.

17. BaneComes

BaneComes Banned

GPU:
    580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC
    http://www.download.com/WinASO-Registry-Optimizer/3000-2094_4-10260558.html along with ccleaner does a great job for me also cleans out the leftover nvidia driver entries as well as phyx entries that driver sweeper misses

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  18. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Another one here for Tuneup 2009 - have used their product for about 3 years now with no probs. I also use CCleaner too.

I did use to use Reg Organizer which is offers fairly advanced functions if you look deep enough but as I've just moved to Vista-64 bit and RO doesn't support that yet I haven't installed it on my new rig. I did hear from them though and they're planning on releasing a 64-bit version in the next few months or so.

19. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
  20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I use Registry Mechanic (now 64-bit Windows friendly) and, more recently, CCleaner. I've never had any problems with either and I've been using the former for about five years now across various versions of Windows. Both programs allow you to make backups of the registry prior to removing entries and Registry Mechanic creates a restore point too.