good pc build?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dragoon87, Jul 31, 2009.

1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    This system is considered overkill for gaming. I'd already call a Q9550/Phenom II 955BE + Radeon HD 4890 a hardcore rig already since that's all a gamer needs.

I'd rather get the GIGABYTE as others have said as GIGABYTE is a better brand in general and technically it runs better since it has more phases as stated.

Personally, I believe you're just throwing your money out the window for getting a Core i7 just for gaming, no gamer needs one until 3 - 4 years down the road and by that time, we might all be on hexacores.

deltatux

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You honestly don't think I stare at my screen while I mine in EVE do you? That's madness... the boredom will kill me! ;)

3. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    so EVGA < Gigabyte mobo?
    i dont have a budget right now so that i think i will wait for gtx 3xx series
    and how about my processor?
    AMD or Intel?

4. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I have always been a fan of Gigabyte. They don't cost as much as the competition but are just as good. I don't like MSI, as the three I've had just didn't perform well. I also don't like Asus, as the ones I've had have just been hype, instead of performance.

Get the Phenom II 955 BE. Unfortunately I can't help you with prices because I only know about US, EU (UK & NL) and Chinese websites and prices.

I just noticed that you haven't posted your current PC setup. Could you do that, please? It might not make that much sense to upgrade, depending on what you have. I assume it's not superb but I'm intererested in knowing what you've got.

5. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    can you give me a link for gigabyte you being said
    should i wait for new release of processor?
    coz im confuse about choosing Phenom II 955 BE & intel i7 920

6. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    It will be easier to help you if you tell us what you have.

Thanks for filling in your system specifications.

One motherboard you can look into is the GA-MA790FX-UD5P.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3032

This is DDR2, by the way.

Seems very nice, but then all these 790FX boards seem really nice. The only problem with it is that it's so new there're no reviews or nobody is interested in doing a review.

In general the 955BE's will overclock to about 4GHz, with 3.9-3.9 being the average.

Now I really want an upgrade but I can barely justify it to myself, let alone to my wife.

7. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    Videocard: ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    Processor: Intel pentium 4 proc.631+
    Mainboard: P5PE-VM
    Memory: 512 ram
    Soundcard:
    PSU: Case power supply
    this my pc right now but im planing to buy a new one

8. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    955BE overclocks.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/3.htm

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/497132-phenom-ii-955-benchmarks.html

If you look through the AMD CPU section of this board you'll see the average being 3.8 to 3.9, which is a lot more than enough. If my Q6600 lasts me over two years and is still a good CPU then this one will last at least just as long.

Once upon a time I, too, was only interested in numbers and showing off. Now I'm just interested in what will last me a while and whether it works or not. My CPU has served me well all this time but it's beginning to show its age and it won't run stable at 3.2 anymore, which I'm taking as a sign of it dying.

9. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    so what build should i get?

10. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Screen and case are up to you, it depends on what you like and want to afford. I have a Tsunami and while it's a nice case I need to get a bigger one. I recommend getting a better case than the Thermaltake one you're looking at.

I was recommended the Antec 900 or the Coolermaster 690 by some of the others on these board.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=300978&page=2

CPU: AMD 955BE
    Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3032
    Memory: Whatever, 4GB at least.
    PSU: 600W Coolermaster, Zalman, Thermaltake or other quality brand.
    Screen: up to you
    Case: Coolermaster 690 or Antec 900.
    Cooler: Thermalright.

Thermaltake make very good PSU's but their cases are average and their coolers are terrible. Also they're pretty expensive and not worth the money. When I bought mine I could only get the TT but I wouldn't buy a TT now.

Also you don't need 800W, a 600W PSU will be more than enough and save you money.

11. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    Mr. Liranan
    is that a Future proof build?
    coz i dont wanna buy or upgrade if i buy a new one

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    The core system should last a good 2-3 years. Probably longer if you decide to stick it out and don't run too many extensive programs on it.

13. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    can it run my games at smooth
    at All high options?

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i also think the amd build could be good for u as well. try and learn to build yourself..will save you money.

start with your current pc. play around with it..best way to start is as u take it apart remember where things go and make sure u have your mobo manual next to u.

it might seem daunting at first but older builds like yours will seem more complicated. modern stuff is mostly modular and much better designed easier to put together.

i think 750w psu min as if all goes according to plan and you oc etc and then say fancy running sli or xfire or even a 300 series you'll have a big enough psu to handle it. get one thats around 650w and then you see an offer for a 295 that u cant resist you'll find you dont have enough watts. better to spend a bit more intially then have to re-build buy another psu later on down the line.

15. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    i cant get what you trying to say :D

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    in a nutshell build your own pc. buy a 750w psu that will last.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152604

something like this.

17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I run my CPU at 100% (all four cores) and I have seen no need for an upgrade, yet but if you mean professional applications when you say intensive then I fully agree. But then the concept of future proof depends on us. My wife asked me when we bought her E8400 whether it would be future proof, she wouldn't have the E7200 I wanted her to get, and she has barely made use of that CPU. It's been underclocked, running at 1.5GHz most of the past year and a half. My daughter is using a three year old E6300 and I have no intentions of getting her a better CPU, nor better video card. If my CPU doesn't die I will continue to use it for another year, after which I will replace it with AMD. Can't get more future proof than that.

The only things that aren't future proof are video cards.

As long as you only play games and have no need for a super powerful system any up to date system bought now will last a few years. It's only our epeen needs that make us upgrade, that's why we're the minority of all computer users, we see our PC's as most see their cars or jewels.

18. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I have a 22" screen with a resolution of 1680x1050 and I run all games at high settings smoothly. Biggest problem is your video card, not CPU.

19. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    whats is this - professional applications - ?
    can you give example?

what should i build?
    Liranan build or biggerx build?
    i'm really - really confuse about the 2 build

& also should i wait for the price drop before i buy a new pc?

20. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    why is my card is a problem?
    what should i replace with it?