Good Nvidia card for Core I5 650?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by treed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
  2. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    directx 10? why not 11?

n i am using a gtx470 with a core i3... so u should be able to use a 480 of if u wait a bit a 580 as well

u can get a 470 for around 260 or even cheaper now... but sime sites have hinted that the prices will go up again.. so if u want u shud buy now.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  3. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, guess I should just get a DX11 card. I upgraded from win xp pro to win 7 64bit, so I'm not quite used to that change yet lol. I won't be using the system for gaming much, I use my PS3 for that. Mainly for image/video editing. I just checked prices on Newegg, and those prices are not bad at all considering how good of cards those are.

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    what programs are you using for video editing? check if they support nvidia cuda or ati stream/amd accelerated processing

if youre using adobe photoshop/premiere or any product in their cs5 range, it supports ati stream so you can offload the processing onto an ati/amd graphics card (could get a 6850 or 6870 if gaming isnt your main thing, or even a 5770).

but if youre using a program that supports nvidia cuda, youre better off getting an nvidia card, maybe a gtx460 or gtx470.

first thing you should do though is crack open that case and measure how much room you have for a graphics card. the amd 6870 is around 10.5inches long, and i think the nvidia gtx470 is around the same length.

5. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    I'm using After Effects CS3, Photoshop CS5, and Lightroom 3. I don't think I have a lot of room, its a mid size tower case. I'll measure and see how much room there is. But honestly, I think a GTX 460 would do just fine. For $170, that's sick deal. Also had a question if 192bit cards vs 256bit and 768mb vs 1gb will be that much difference. I seems to be around $30 more for the 1gb 256bit version.

6. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    there is a big difference between the 768mb and 1gb models, I would def stump up the extra for the 1gb model as the performance vs price increase is exceptional value for money

7. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    I am using a gtx 470 with a core i3 540 @4.5ghz and my games run fantastic. I also only paid 229.99 at newegg for the gtx 470 so that was sweet :] receritfied ofcourse but still they can be had brand new for 249.99 I believe from sparkle on newegg.

8. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    oh I just saw you wont be gaming much....in that case just get a gtx 460 1gb if you want nvidia or a radeon 6850 if you want ati

9. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    I ended up getting the GTX 460 768mb, and I couldn't be happier. Wow, what an upgrade from my 7900 GT. Just for the hell of it, I installed Crysis and was able to put it at 1680x1050, 2x AA, and everything on very high, and the game ran very smooth. To me that is damn impressive. Thanks for help guys.