Good Folder?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by ground_zero298, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Running a plan by my boss to set up a folder for 24/7 use at the dealership.

I was wondering what would be the best setup for ppd costing around $4-5k.

Been reading up on it for the last 2 days, just confused on best cpu and video card or cards, or even running a quadro 5000 with a tesla?

Cost to run is not a issue, just the parts for best ppd.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Core i7 3930K
    GTX680

Don't believe F@H works with Tesla cards

3. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    well quadro 5000 or tesla won't be any better than there geforce counterpart the tesla do come as the gk 110 gpu the cards are call k20's but there are eye water-inly expensive so there out of the question

1) you could go down the bigadv client rout of pure cpu's i.e 4 socket systems AMD g34 12core x 4 mc or 16core x 4 these builds are not simple but will give you the best ppd/watt a little bit of reading here http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1638127

remeber with the bigadv client it is still in beta had has been since it launch over 2 year ago and it's requirements now are min of 16 core to fold with it so most people can't do it any more ( it used to be 8 cores minimum i.e a 3770k could do it with 4 core and 4 threads but now can't) and sanford has said that the requirements could change again in the future if needed

2) or you could go down the gpu rout cheap mobo and cpu with 4 pci-e slots put 4 680's in there( does not need to support 4 way SLI with folding as folding does not need sli) maybe with that budget you could get two systems.
    the big thing with gpu's is power as each kepler could pull up to 170w-180w each so total system power could be around the 900w mark for one system.
    at the moment gpu are not getting any bonus point but that is about to change soon so they could get a big points boost, my 670's are getting 37.5k ppd each so a 680 could get 40k and when the bonuses come in who know's

so question you need to ask your self to keep your boss happy

1) 4 680 or any other gpu's could make a lot of noise, so do you where you would put them

2) any system you build will pull a fear bit of power the cpu's system could be from 400w-800w and gpu could be from 500w-1000w does he understand and is he ok with the power they could pull
    (just re-read the last part of your post but this is sit a good point to think about if he doesn't under stand how much power they could pull)

if you let us know witch rout you feel more comfortable of going down we could help you out with the selection of components

any more question just ask

4. Sharky

Sharky Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'm looking into building a Folding rig, preferably a nice ppd/w system. Thinking of going with 3 650's and either an i3/i5 or the 6300.
    Any advice on which CPU may be better in the long run?
    Does the integrated graphics also fold or work with the CPU?
    Do PCIe slots (2/1) effect performance?
    Am I able to underclock the memory on the GPU's without hindering the ppd?
    Any advice on what I should do differently?

5. iancook221188

GPU:
    have you got the 650 all ready? i don't think there the best bet for folding is the rig going to be doing anything else than folding?
    it would be better to spend the money on 2 better or 1 because it will be more power efficient

a budget would help

pci-e for folding does not matter much i would say minimum x4 2.0

under clocking the memory likely won't help could slow it down in the old day it mite of help don't think it does any more

6. Sharky

Sharky Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    No not yet, I can get the rig for $500, I might spend more though and just get a 680 after comparing GFLOPS/W. Just trying to figure out what would be more cost effective, the rig will only be for folding :)

I might try the memory clocking just to check, would be able to transfer some of that power across to the shaders.

7. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    660ti works well, if you want to wait a bit the new chips come out in june for CPU's, but the keplers are going to be the 600 and 700 series graphics cards very likely.

just check it , roughly 30k a day average. and it runs cost effective.

8. iancook221188

GPU:
    have you got a rig that you would not mine putting it in, for $500 a 680 would take up most of that budget that would get a good 25-40k ppd and i think they pull a about 160-180w

9. Sharky

Sharky Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    Thanks for all the info/help, I'll just get a 680 and add some more when the new cards are out. I'm not limited to $500 just wanted to know if that would of been a good ppd machine :)

10. iancook221188

GPU:
    at the moment it hard to say with everything changing, a hole rig for $500 would be hard but adding a gpu or just using what you have 'if' you were on a tight budget

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013