1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good and bad with max prerender frames 1 vs 8 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alexander1986, Apr 20, 2018.

1. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 SH EK X 8Gb
    I certainly see a small performance difference in GPU-bound situations with Frotbite3 games. It's almost negligible now but used to be worse with my old PC (2500K + 290X and 1080p60 display + Win8.x --- which provided comparable framerates in that 1/4 lower resolution in this [now oldish] game).

[​IMG]

2. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Master Guru

GPU:
    Only if the CPU can't keep up.

Mda400 and Smough like this.
  3. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    ive always felt with prerendered frames set to 1 i miss so many easy shots. i dont even think its placebo. i stick with default now

4. EerieEgg

EerieEgg Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    @CaptaPraelium So is it fair to say that setting the MPRF / Flip Queue value to 1 will only result in lower framerates / more hitching if you're CPU bound?

My understanding going off your comment above is that setting MPRF to 1 should have no adverse effects provided that your CPU is able to keep up with the demand of the GPU/provided the CPU is not the bottleneck.

In my own tests, it does seem that a value of 3 (the default) results in smoother camera motion for example (in Hunt Showdown w/ uncapped fps), but it's also true that the input lag is discernible at even respectable framerates like 70+.

I read your write-up on the setting on the battlefieldV subreddit and it seems you recommend a value of 3 (the default) when in doubt.

Is that what you use personally? I currently have an 8700K + 1080 Ti at stock clocks and I guess I'm simply unsure whether or not setting MPRF to 3 is worth it from a pro/con standpoint -- there's just too much information that I don't have to determine a "best" setting, but it seems to me that 1 would be not recommended since it disables render ahead completely which could mean idleing of either cpu or gpu (lower hardware utilization), so perhaps 2 if input lag is an issue and 3 if you don't notice/just want the default/recommended ro provide what the professionals deemed to be the overall "best" setting with respect to balancing input lag with smoothness/image quality/hardware utilization?

Thanks,

Smough likes this.

5. Smough

Smough Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I believe 3 is the default setting for the drivers anyway, so I don't think you are achieving any difference there.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    default is "use application setting'.

7. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    As far as I've seen someone say, 3 pre-rendered frames is the default setting for DirectX applications at least.

This may be what they meant, but may not have known it is API (and possibly engine?) specific.