Going from 1366 to 1155 (Ivy) , worth it?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Vimm, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Vimm

Vimm Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Hiya folks.

I'm pondering about an upgrade for my system. My i7 runs a little too hot, its noticeable on the power bill and I just got rid of my water cooling stuff. Feeling that my current mobo and casing is too much now when I've decided to give up on WC.

What I'm looking at for an upgrade is the i5 3570K with a Z77 mobo. Looking at the price tag (only paying the difference from selling my old stuff) it feels very satisfying buying these parts. But what I'm asking is if its worth it? The 1366 feels dated for me (and hot) and I feel like tinkering with some new toys. As always I want to reckon for opinions in an upgrade.

Appreciate thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    IMHO, no, not enough of an improvement to warrant the money.

A good 1366 chip is still a serious bit of kit.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm gunna have to agree with grunger on this. I'm still using X58 and it's more than powerful enough. If your chip is running hot turn HT off, as very few games use it and you can save a few watts that way, probable be able to clock upto 4 GHz on a cheapo heatpipe cooler and keep pace with newer CPUs. Hell, Hilbert even uses an X58 rig for all the GFX testing.

4. Vimm

Vimm Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Thanks for your replies.

How future proof is the 1366 then? (no one can tell but I'm asking anyway).
    Its over 2 years old now and since I will be paying close to nothing in the difference from the sale, I feel like going to a newer generation (lower power consumption, Uefi, PCI 3.0) is a good choice even though what you're saying is completely true. New tech is always fun. Gives a freshness to the computer experience as an example. Though choice!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    LGA1366 is a dead socket and honestly, we can't say how much longer systems built on it will be viable (though I'd expect it to be for at least another generation). However, LGA1155 is also a dead end socket as Haswell will use LGA1150. My advice, based on known facts, would be to hold off on upgrading your mobo/proc until Haswell launches. This will bring you into a new platform with an upgrade path, should you choose to take it.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    IB 1155 also runs hot, keep what you have until haswell.

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    This.

I've just updated to the Z77 from my X58, mostly because I wanted knew toys to play with, and the performance difference is small! Everyday general usage is no different, and why would it be, everyday general usage is not taxing for a chip like Nehalem. Gaming, well I haven't done much yet, but what I have done can't say I've seen much of a difference. Hilbert already did a review of CPU scaling and it showed at High Res the CPU matters far less compared to the GPUs.

Only reason for you to upgrade is if you had a more Workstation need, and then I'd recommend going X79, but then really its only worth it if time = money to you.

Hope this helps ya.

8. goodald

goodald Member Guru

GPU:
    580 Asus DCII
    1366 is at the end of it's life but there isn't really a reason to upgrade. Memory bandwidth is great and the cpu can keep up with most graphics card setups.

The newer mobos get some new things like:
    - PCIE 3.0, which isn't needed unless you have one of the newest graphics cards (and even then performance differences are negligible).
    - Native USB 3.0. If you have any devices that might use, ok.. but you can always get a 20 dollar add in card.
    - Sata 3.. which is great for benchmarks if you have an ssd but the difference isn't going to be massive.

But really.. is that worth 400+ USD? (if you go quad channel you'd need to buy new ram too).

Personally:
    I'm keeping my main desktop (i7 920 @ 4) until at least (if) we see a new revision of ivy bridge with less heat than we see currently OR till Haswell is released (early 2013).

I understand having the "bug" and wanting to upgrade, I just think coming from a 960 it's going to be a bit of a disappointment unless you will be using that system/parts in some other capacity.

I'd say if you don't already have:
    - over 4 gigs ram
    - one or more ssds
    - a top end video card (or sli/crossfire though I don't really recommend that either as they can be a hassle)

I recommend holding off unless you come across a compelling reason to pull the trigger.

By the way,
    I bought a 1155 board/chip ivy for my htpc. It's fast and low power, though I'm sure a primary reason for most of my savings is that I'm using the onboard intel hd graphics. If you're using dedicated graphics you'll probably find the power usage and performance differences to be less pronounced.

Also...
    If your 960 runs hot, do you have HT disabled? I find my cores run 6-10 degrees cooler with it off and for gaming (only thing I use my desktop for) the performance is equal and sometimes slightly better.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dont bother,stick with what you have until Haswell architecture.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    passing from 1366 to 1155 isn't a good idea there will be few difference and in some case even step back.

upgrading to 2011 is better but i would wait to haswell too if i were you.

11. Vimm

Vimm Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Thanks for convincing me to hold off :)

12. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I went from a 920 @4.1 to 3570k @4.6. It's noticeably more peppy, and I don't regret it one bit! Totally worth it to me. But that's just me, and my opinion/experience.

I will probably upgrade again to Haswell, shortly after its release. Interested in seeing some real numbers on performance increase over IB.

13. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    I jumped from x58 to z68 mainly due to hardware failure but the biggest bonus I got from doing it was much better energy efficiency and average room temps! My 920 would run at full speed / volts 24/7 meaning loads of heat , shortening the CPUs life span in the process. The new chips downclock when not in use keeping power draw and temps nice and low. Having something that can clock to 5GHz is nice too :p

14. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    1366 and 1156 are dead. Waiting to see if 2011 will suffer same fate.

15. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC
    i was thinking about upgrading my cpu 1366 \ 920 to ? but i think i might gain more by upgrading my gpu maybe to a 660ti.

however i play my games at good fps so i might just save up as i spent a bit on some new WC parts this week :), & see what comes out in the new year.... that is if there is anything worth upgrading too.

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    or maybe you could try going for a more modern 1366 Chip like a 6 Core for fun and lower temps :)

Those 900 series chips do run pretty hot

Maybe you can find one for a good price somewhere. I use mine for folding@home + all the usual. My Xeon 5650 @ 3.6GHz gets about 24k points per day using SMP 10 -> leaves free CPU time for other stuff including feeding my AMD GPU folding info

(using less than Max core means active use of the PC has less impact on your PPD and 12 or 10 Cores give about the same PPD anyways due to Hyperthreaded Cores sharing Floating Point registers with the Physical Cores)

am still tinkering with my chips OC when I have time so hoping for 4 - 4.4GHz later

At Stock vcore and all mobo voltages also at stock folding@home with 3.6GHz on my Noctua NH-D14 runs with only 54c going up to 65c on a hot day

Draws the same power at the plug at this speed as my old Q6600 @ 3.3GHz did.

Am enjoying the tinkering with this new upgrade from that old chip I must say :D

17. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    Yea I dunno I would consider 3570k a side grade at best...and maybe even a downgrade I don't feel like checking benchmarks though.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Only if your not happy with your X58, or want the features of the Z77 chip-set and ivy. Also if your able to sell your cpu and mobo to pay for most of it, as well having a microcenter near you to take advance of the Ivy + mobo discount deals.

Most people will tell you no and to wait for haswell, The thing is if your not happy with what you have any more. Then there's no reason to keep it and force your self to use it. Right now you can still get alot of money from selling the components. When Haswell comes out that valve could have lowered by then. Then you could get less for your stuff. So its all up to you, only you can make the choice in the end.

When I did it , I sold my stuff to a friend that needed the upgrade badly. So now hes happy since it was affordable to buy my X58 and cpu from me instead of trying to buy it new. Hes happy and so Am I. Sure I could had waited for Hawsell my self but I was having major issues with my config that was do to compatibility issues with my gpu and the X58 mobo I had. That all went away when I went to Ivy. I haven't had those major problems since.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  19. Gorki

Gorki Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1800XL 256Mb
    I've been in same boat and I'm still resisting it. I also have great mbo and cpu 920 clocked @ 4.5 under water. It's really enough for all my need and there is nothing that can't run smooth. I got myself nice Intel 520 series ssd and that was HUGE change!
    In short words. WAIT for haswell and then jump if you need to. It's not worth spending big cash on small gains. I'm still surprised how bloomfield handles everything you throw at it.

I would rather bump to some nice hexcore but I haven't find good one.
    So if anyone is selling nice 980X or 990X -> PM me