Godfall - an early gen game, requires 12GB of Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SerotoNiN, Nov 3, 2020.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    https://hothardware.com/news/godfall-system-requirements-revealed-4k-ultrahd-textures

Many said 10GB was enough for the 3080. There were those of us that said no. While this is ONE game, it's looking interesting that so early into this new gen cycle we have these sort of requirements already for 4k Ultra textures. One can assume requirements will only go up from here. This is Unreal Engine 4. What happens with the use of UE5?

Lazy porting? New norm? What do you think?

And yes, while this is for 4K....why would you play at a lower resolution than console?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    2017: $700 for 11 GB
    2020: $700 for 8 GB
    Seems legit.

(And please don't start with: But it's just $500 !!... Show me a place where you can actually buy it with $500)

Undying, SerotoNiN and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    10gb wasn't ever going to be enough for 4k ultra for even 2 years. Hence my decision to go with a 3090, eventhough it is hugely overpriced... so i guess nvidia's usual slimy strategies worked...

Undying, SerotoNiN and endbase like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Archvile82 and endbase like this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Will be interesting to see what the actual VRAM usage looks like at 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 alongside the full allocated amount as one's important and the other is well less so. :D

Not a fan of the tech video they make a big thing of DX12 Ultimate which isn't usable yet (D3D12_2) until the next version of Windows 10 anyway so it's just the current stuff and ray tracing with how complicated that is and how fast the 6000 GPU is at doing this ha ha plus then they make CAS look ridiculous like it's a contrast tweak (And a terrible one at that!) and de-fog effect just to highlight it over the more subtle and far better sharpening technique it can do. (Or NVIDIA really with their implement too or ReShade and the ton of variants ha ha.)

EDIT: I do fully expect "Ultimate!" to be a buzz-word though for a while until Windows 10 20H1 is out and support for this is implemented in full in current drivers for AMD and NVIDIA.

Come to think of it VRS or Variable Rate Shading is also a thing I don't know if that's possible to leverage in 12_0 or 12_1 yet interesting.
    There's the earlier shader stuff NVIDIA had for Vulkan so maybe some similar custom AMD AGS 6.0 effect extension then. Would match with the recent notes on that I believe at least.

EDIT: Guess VRF or Very Random Framerate isn't a thing, would make all those porting problem issues just go away it's a feature after all!

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its not the first or the last game that require more than 8gb vram. Nvidia screw up with 3070/3080 we all knew that.

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Apparently, not all...
    Quite the contrary, so many are praising 3000 series for their "amazing performance"...

Well, in the end, it's their money.
    Nobody is using my wallet to buy an Ampere card.

8. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Member Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    That is not correct, DX12 Ultimate has been available in drivers since March for Nvidia RTX GPUs and since the Windows 2004 update in June or so. Every PC with a RTX GPU is DX12 Ultimate ready now and AMD will follow quickly with their RDNA2 series in November.

DX12 Ultimate also has more features than VRS and DXR, like Sampler Feedback and Mesh shaders, the latter ones are game changers and will transform games completely once utilized.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Which I thought was coming out on PC for build 20241 of Windows 10 or later or the insider preview ring builds for now until general release for April or May next year. :)
    (20251 as the current latest insider preview build.)

But looking into it some features besides ray tracing did indeed land with 19041 / 20H1 like ray tracing tier 1.1 (So not just 1.0), mesh shaders, variable rate shading and sampler feedback.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-directx-12-new-ray-tracing-features

EDIT: Learned something important there, good the state of things is better than was thinking it was.

D3D12_0 and D3D12_1 as before updated with DXR 1.0 ray tracing before D3D12_2 or D3D12 Ultimate was going to add several important new features and update existing ones further.
    (Which as it turns out many of them have already landed then in the current stable Windows 10 builds.)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  10. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3080
    Until you can point me to the game, where in 3rd party independent testing it actually craps its pants on a 3080 stuttering due to lack of vram, no one cares.

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 710 2GB
    lol surprise surprise....if only people could have just been more patient. I suspect even NVIDIA will up their VRAM amount soon

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    3080 no but 3070 is having some issues in doom eternal with nightmare textures.

Tyrchlis likes this.
  13. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 710 2GB
    Right - Excluding the 3090 ofcourse

Tyrchlis likes this.
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Launch prices and street prices during shortages can be whatever. Sure if they stay at $700 for 8GB 3070 then yes, but most likely that wont be the case. So lets not embellish our claims, and lets stay with MSRP. Not least because its well defined.
    For example you could have just as well quoted 3080:

2017: $700 for 11 GB
    2020: $700 for 10 GB

Which is a powerful statement on its own and very illustrative of Nvidia's VRAM stinginess jewing (im sorry, not a native speaker, i'll edit if there is a better term). -edited-
    Re:Godfall and 12GB needed for 4K by 4K textures - I say go for it. Unlike certain AMD brothers and sisters who start crying and demanding infinite levels of optimizations every time Nvidia pushes certainly tech forward, I live in the real world where devs have finite amount of time and games run at FPS they ran at. Not at FPS I think they should run.
    And if Nvidia has exposed themselves for VRAM capacity attack, its only natural that AMD should point out their advantage. This is how we move forward - by increasing hw capabilities - not by demanding that our old hw should run new games at 60fps because "lazy devs dont know how to optimize and sht"

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Kevin Mauro and Tyrchlis like this.

16. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Well it appears it was planned at one point but I think the big issue with the shortage is due to GDDR6X actually... Not to mention 2GB modules for GDDR6X don't exist at the moment. So they'd have to go the route of the 3090 and have ram on front and back of the board. I'm sure that would have driven up the cost a bit too having double the memory and would likely been even harder to find the cards.

I'll be interested to see testing on Godfall if it's truly using that much memory though... No idea if they were looking at just the allocation or actual usage. Hell rendering RDR2 at 5120x2880 (5K Resolution) on Ultra uses 6.57GB memory and allocates about 8GB Vram. I'm glad Afterburner added the feature to monitor actual memory usage and not just allocation, gives you a lot better indication of how much memory is actually being used. Not to the game allocating all your vram just because you have it available. I've seen a few games do this where they will allocate almost 50-80% more vram than what's actually being used.

Pic with Afterburner OSD: https://i.imgur.com/wgstcGA.jpg

Tyrchlis likes this.