God of War

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    are you using the ps5/4 settings or custom?
    I mean, a 580 is the same as like a 1060/1070? The ps5 is more powerful than that so it makes sense you'd dip below 60fps.

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I obviously can, it just looks stupid with the arm being way too short.
    And i HATE blur in games... cinematic my ass, it just looks like when a near sighted person aint wearing their glasses... with all this blur the game might aswell be in 720p.

I dont get people who says this looks really really good... maybe people like the style of the game, but technically speaking, it aint very high quality. Most textures arent very high quality, most assets arent very high quality, it doesn't even use SSR for most reflections making them look super bad.

[​IMG]

I could name many better looking games. Rdr2, cyberpunk, HZD just to name a few.

Story seems ok, but there is waaaay too much combat. At least you can set it to story only, so you dont have to bother with it as much. As i knew beforehand, this isn't really my kinda game (unlike something like HZD), but at least i got a cheap key.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  3. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

the game is literally nothing but cutscenes and combat, Its God of war.
    Its also from 2018, with a lower tier dev to port it over. They touted a few minor advancements for PC but I think most are just happy that its God of war on PC.

I know RDR2 is 2018 too, its still the best looking open world IMO, but thats Rockstar. The money and man power put in there is probably triple GoW

And again DOF is preference, it should have a toggle, but its nothing to do with eyesight quality. Hold out your hand and look at it, the crap behind it is out of focus. Same effect as a lens.
    On a 2D screen the Dof is used to guide focus that whether you may like it or not, is used for cinematic direction.

to be fair though if HZD was more your thing GoW is quite the opposite game.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I hadn't played it before, so didn't know exactly what to expect. But they market as an rpg, to which i will have to say, that it's the least rpg rpg-game i've ever played. It's normally the genre im into.

Sure, it's a preference - just not one i understand anyone could ever have. In regards to focus, you are correct. However, in this game the "depth of field" is just everything more than 10 meters away always being blurred... so exactly as a near-sighted person not wearing glasses.

Party Poison likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Rdr2 did have much much much much more resources, it's true - but still, even just standard Ue4 assets / lighting would look better than this... it honestly looks like it's from 10 years ago, or more. Most indie ue4 games look better than that.

[​IMG]

You're right, but if you never try anything new, you'll never know if you like it, and the game was highly praised. But as i wrote in this thread a few days ago, i was going into this with my expectations set low, as i suspected this wouldn't be my usual cup of tea.

pedropaulo and Party Poison like this.
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I agree that DOF should be optional but it was a lifesaver on PS4 as it helped tremendously to smooth out the otherwise horrendous 30fps.

I suppose that if one follows the main story without doing any secrets, exploring or side missions then it probably is not that long but calling it extremely short...i don't know. I think I put over 30hrs in it and I didn't do everything. Main story must be at least 20hrs. Extremely short for me is CoD campaign (5-6hrs).

Honestly when the game came out on PS4 it was mind blowingly good looking for a, now last gen console game. Of course there are several PC games out there which look better but you must agree that Santa Monica did a great job in squeezing every drop of performance of the PS4 Pro (4K checkerboarding at a steady 30fps).

7. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Eish that looks terrible
    Played GOW on the PS2 love it, maybe i give this one a try.
    Also good optimization is running the game in less efficient hardware.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I know that the very aggressive DOF is a remnant from the consoles, where it was primarily used to cover up the much shorter LOD, and the motion blur used to cover up the low fps. But given that LOD's aint an issue on pc, there really aint a need for that DOF.

I didnt think that i was getting a witcher 3 kinda game contents wise - i agree with you on 30 hours not being extremely short (just for the record, not me who said it was :) )

I agree that the fact that it looks more or less the same on a console with an ancient extremely weak cpu, and a modest 4,5 TFLOPS gpu power is impressive... for the console version that is. But my gpu has nearly 10 times that, and while the res is higher, the output doesn't look all that much better, due to all the forced blur... which makes me less than impressed with the pc version. Perhaps if we get true fullscreen, so i can do 8k with dlss ultra performance, and a toggle for DoF OFF, it would go a long way to help. Oh, and add SSR reflections... then maybe we can have something like this :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Maddness likes this.
  9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, I really hope all these PS4 ports do REALLY REALLY well on PC so we might get Gran Turismo and Spiderman. Those are the 2 announcements I'm looking forward to the most.

10. rflair

rflair Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I remember playing GoW2 on PC way back in 2010 or so and thinking it wasn't that great, never played the PS4 versions of the game though.

But is this version an RPG in any sense? Skill tree? Weapons upgrades? Even if its just a hack and slash does it have the mechanics of a good RPG hack and slash?

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm with you on the DOF, I can't stand it in games like. I'd still like to play this though.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Yes, it has skill tree, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades and customization, shops. But it still mostly just feel like an action fighting game, with alot of cinematics, like @Party Poison said.

rflair likes this.
  13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Its "allowed" to be named as RPG as genre as well these days, because theres XP, so points which you can spend to upgrade your character and make him better or even go different paths (character wise, i dont think game wise) depending on which upgrades you chose (havent played much yet).

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Don't forget the Valkyries.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Still trying to figure out the best way to play it. 1080p/high settings with fsr gives around 50-60fps with occasional drops in boss fights, still playable but image could be better. Could use the original settings without scaling also gives around the same fps.

Look at that vram and ram usage after a while.
    [​IMG]

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Disable FSR and try using the upscaler option in game.
    From what the devs say it's a temporal upscaler, similar to TAAU. IF so, it will have better image quality than FSR at 1080p.

Undying likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    If it was me i would set it to original settings and no upscaling at 1080p :)

Before i stopped for tonight, the game was at 19gb vram, so it appears there is a memory leak.

Maddness, Stormyandcold and Undying like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I've noticed it slowly has been rising for both vram and ram. I also stopped but im sure it would go even higher if i continued.

Will try what @Horus-Anhur recommended but maybe the original+native would be the best way to play for me.

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    If the temporal upscaler is anywhere as good as Epic's TAAU, then you can set it to 85% at 1080p, and shouldn't notice any difference.
    I haven't bought the game yet so I can't compare. I have too many games in my backlog. On top of that, today I bought Supraland Six Feet Under and it's too good to stop.
    But this one has DLSS 2.x and TAAU :D

20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Time for that 6800xt :D:D:D

Undying likes this.