1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God of War 4

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    I don't own a PS4 at the moment (long story) so I can't buy it. But for the people who have bought it, how do you think the fourth compares to the series?

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I just saw the video of the fight against the stranger and that stuff is awful!!! They are trying so hard for the game to be cinematic that the fight is scripted as hell! And the parts that aren´t scripted are simple button mashing like many games, including the original GoW. The difference is that in the past games the main weapon was amazing like the bosses instead of this game were he use a lame axe...

I really hope the rest of the game is much better than this otherwise this is even worse than i feared...

3. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Played about 7 hours during the weekend, so here are my two cents – the game may not be the greatest game ever made, but it is better than almost all of the other triple AAA crap out there. The story is fine, graphics and sound are amazing, and that single shot camera work is just a superb idea and execution. I like the combat, but I need to get deeper into it, before I can come to a conclusion. Hating on it without even playing it is just stupid. We should give credit to the devs that have clearly busted their asses to make such a polished experience. A single player experience at that, something that trend chasing publishers are forgetting about. And to add to all that – no seasonal pass, day one DLC, pre-order bonuses, microtransactions, loot boxes and all the crap that’s been poisoning gaming for so long. So even if it is not your cup of tea, it should be celebrated IMO.

Ghosty and anxious_f0x like this.
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have played around 12 - 15 hours of this sublime and wonderfully entertaining game over the weekend. I've died lots of time (on Normal/Medium difficulty, only switching down a notch briefly to defeat one annoying boss!) so in many ways this game reminds me a lot of Dark Souls; it even feels like Dark Souls in terms of the way the world is built around a central hub area: the Lake of Nines.

There is just so much to enjoy in this game and almost everything is polished to perfection (the game has amazingly had three patches since it launched including two over the weekend, the latest adding a much needed option to scale the all-too-small menu text that I found hard to read comfortably on my 40" Sony 1080p TV). There are still some bugs, most notably one where the QTE finishing animations get "stuck" if you execute them near walls and Atreus has a habit of shooting his arrows through solid walls, including at one point even stabbing THROUGH Kratos! They're minor and I only noticed them because the rest of the game is so polished.

While the game is not open world, there is plenty of different paths you can take if you choose to just pick a direction and go with it, which is basically what I did for about 6 hours of the game when I decided to focus solely on side-quests and exploration. The game is constantly rewarding, which makes it all the more addictive to play. There's so much to find, much of it hidden away, and almost all of it is useful, allowing Kratos and Atreus to be upgraded.

Combat is constantly fun and is perfectly balanced against the exploration and cutscenes. The more skills and enchantments, etc, you unlock the more exciting the combat becomes. Atreus is also very useful at distracting enemies initially then later on actually helping to kill them, and not once have I had to rush step in to save him. In fact, he is there to assist Kratos from dying when needed! I also noticed that there were two areas where I did not have to fight the mini-bosses there at all and could just run past them, to return to them later (they are marked on the map, I believe).

This game might not ooze originality and in many ways it follows the template of other PS4 exclusives such as The Last of Us, Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn. However, all of those are great games with strong narratives, interesting characters, great gameplay and good stories. Unless you hate those kind of games then it is hard to imagine anyone being disappointed with this game. It is arguably one of the best "reboots" to date.

My only complaint is that I would have liked Kratos to have any access to more weapons than just the Leviathan axe and shield, even though the upgrades/enchantments do add a lot of variety to the combat. I would liked to have had a whip, a bow and sword for example. I can understand leaving out the bow (Atreus uses that and maybe the developers wanted to separate God of War from Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn?) but why wouldn't Kratos have other weapons? Even two or three different ones would have been perfect, allowing for more different tactics in the game. That said, the axe is tremendously useful, allowing for both close up *and* ranged combat.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Ghosty and anxious_f0x like this.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. The puzzles in this game are fantastic, usually requiring you to unlock a chest with three symbols on them and not one single moved crate among them. Not only do they add variety to the gameplay but these are well-worth doing as they increase the Rage and Health bars. Some of them are really tricky, requiring you to really carefully look around the area, which in turn usually leads you to finding a hidden room somewhere or one of Odin's ravens.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, I am trying to avoid using "best game ever" while talking about this game as it easy to gush praise on a new game of this quality and proclaim it the best thing ever! I suspect, however, that this will be one of my favourite games of 2018, and only toppled by Red Dead Redemption 2, which, let's face it, is going to incredible for sure.

7. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Sounds great, might just pick it up today. Can you touch on the "atmosphere". What I mean is, does the game feel epic? The scenery with the sound and music, do they combine to produce a spine tingling experience? What's the enemy variety like? Boss fights? Take Uncharted 2 for example, it was so expansive, how does this feel compared to U2?

I love the fact it's not open world, thank god for that. At least we are lead through the game the way it was intended, instead of running around empty world.

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I’m about 4 hours in and pretty much agree with everything you’ve pointed out, this game feels like a real journey with actual progression both in the story and the abilities of the main characters.

Combat is way more than just button mashing, infact you wont get anywhere in the game with the mindset of “I can just mash buttons and beat these enemies” different combat strategies really are needed for a lot of enemy types and timing Atreus’s attacks is key a lot of the time.

Where the axe is concerned I think the reason they have you sticking with it is largely down to it being given to Kratos by his now deceased wife.

Overall I’m really enjoying it, it probably has one of the best implementations of HDR I’ve encountered, really brings the lighting to life.

9. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    How are the environments? Are they varied enough? I hope it's not all same snowy mountains, although I do love that, but I hope there's some variety. Sorry, I know I could check some youtube videos but I don't want to spoil it.

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    The environments are varied so far, it’s actually far more varied than I initially thought it would be.

11. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    You guys are making me want to give it another try, like i say in my previous comment that particular boss fight for me was lame but i was enjoying it up to that point.

I find it sad that the older i get the more less impressed i am with games. If this was released years ago im sure id be with everyone else saying how great it is.

Id say the only recent games that really got me staying up overnight were the dark souls games. I kinda enjoyed the latest tomb raider games and last of us but even those had sections where i just rolled eyes and thought why did they add this crap in.

All i can say is enjoy these games while you can lol, maybe gaming for 30 years has given me fatigue. Sorry if i bored anyone with this post, i just wanted to give you some background that might make you understand where i am coming from :)

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I so want this bad, but i will wait until it is discounted. I have been playing/watching at a friend and it has everything of a memorable game of a generation.

13. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I’d say give it another shot, I try not to judge games so quickly these days, especially games of this scale, a lot of the early game stuff is just stage setting really, getting you used to the controls, introducing new game mechanics, menu systems and characters.

Actually one thing I did do was switch to the classic control scheme, didn’t get on very well using R1/R2 for light/heavy attacks, using Square and Triangle for those feels far more natural.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The game is absolutely dripping in atmosphere, thanks to excellent art design, great cutscenes and a sparse but terrific musical score that plays during them. The atmosphere and world is comparable to, say, Dark Souls IMO. This is a world full of history (fleshed out through cutscenes and journal entries by Atreus) and while it is mostly devoid of intelligent life bar a few key characters you meet on the way (again, like Dark Souls), it is still manages to feel epic, thanks to the locations and set-pieces. There is one involving a create that starts with a d and ends with an n that is absolutely phenomenal. The first time you see it, the sense of scales blows you away but then later on it returns and there's a brilliant (if not exactly difficult) boss battle that absolutely feels epic in every way.

If the word 'epic' was invented for anything then it is to describe this game!!! :D

And, no, the game is not open world in the Ubisoft or GTA V sense but structured more like Dark Souls where the locations are spread around a central hub area where the initial long trek there is reduced by convenient shortcuts (chains down cliffs, portals, and so on). The game isn't that huge, although the amazing sense of scale you get from some of the environments would suggest otherwise, but there is something that you find a few hours in then (don't want to spoil anything here...) that makes it seem even bigger. There are no loading times once the game has started, even the fast travel portals cleverly disguise the loading times and there are places where you travel down a tunnel in a boat or on foot where the game loads data. It is all really well done IMO.

What is also impressive about this game is that enemies rarely respawn (at least as far as I've noticed) but yet the world never feels empty or a chore to traverse, usually because there's always something to see or find or a puzzle to solve.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm 51 years old and have been playing games since the Commodore 64 which was my first gaming "machine".

Of course, games have become much more immersive and graphically spectacular but I admit that, despite playing a lot of games across multiple platforms (Switch, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and PC), that I find my interest in most of them usually wanes long before I've completed them. I know a game is special if I am compelled to play it from start to finish and feel sad when I have finished it. Games like God of War excite me because these are exactly the kind of single player narrative driven games that I adore.

Sadly, these are rare these days (thought thankfully the PS4 has the lions share) but maybe that's a good thing because that's what makes them so special? If every game was like God of War then it would become the "norm" and no-one would get excited about playing them, let alone remember them once they've finished playing them.

Netherwind and AsiJu like this.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    No, I made up my mind long before that. Please stop knowing what I do better than me.
    (PS: chose the bundle with GoW on purpose. Had I not liked it, I'd still get the console and could just trade in the game).

Anyhow really like new combat mechanics, much better than previous games imo. As in less about blind button mashing.
    Story seems well written and interesting from what little I've gotten to play so far (just past Stranger boss fight).

Every time I have time to play there's a tough choice: play God of War or play Bloodborne...

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I´m the same. Although i´m still young, 35, i´ve been playing games for more than 20 years so it´s really hard to be impressed by new releases. And like you, Souls games are the only ones that feel exciting and magic like some older games. In fact Dark Souls restored my faith in gaming and it´s one of my four all time favorite games!

I´m not that excited by the game but i´m also gonna wait for the price to drop to around 30€. This way even if the game is not anything special i won´t mind.

@Darren Hodgson please stop saying/comparing this game to Dark Souls! That´s a cheap blow... You´re making me want the game just because of that... Not cool and not fair... You know how sensitive i´m regarding Souls games...

18. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Just completed a puzzle very new and unique to this brilliant franchise the story is great and fresh loving it, 5 year old console knocking it out the park.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    This game is long I guess. Very long.

20. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Game is more like bloodbourne than a souls game imo