go fx 60?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by bossmonkey, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    Hello everyone! hm.. looking for my last 939 upgrade till the g80 comes out and wondering what cpu should i get?
    i was really wanting the fx 60 since its the last fx dual core from amd for socked 939 does that sound like the right thing to do? also money isn't really an issue.
    thanks for reading=)

2. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I'm new to the dual core scene but I have been extremely happy with my Opteron 165. Stock it is only at 1.8GHz but at 1.21v which is well below stock voltage (stock is 1.3 - 1.35v) it will run at 2.6GHz stable running 2 x Prime95 for 24hrs. I have it running at 2.8GHz right now at 1.4v +/-. It will go to 3GHz at 1.5v with the same stability. I paid about $235.00 new for it on Ebay and it was listed as a good stepping CCB1E. A new FX60 costs about $811.00 at Newegg today so you do the math. Read up on it and see what you think. http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=218379 I know you said money is no option but I can't see spending almost a grand for what will be outdated in 18 months when you can do the same thing for $2-300.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  3. Azjo

Azjo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-TI Tw.Fr.2GB
    FX-60 is a complete waste unless you are going to super overclock it and that requires geek skills, or alot of patience ;)
    Most importantly watercooling or asetek cooling would be best for good results.
    you can easily clock a 4200+ to run like a FX-60 for example, so why waste money, regardless of ur richness. (give it to me! ;))

If you want a new killer system, go for Intel Conroe, it kicks FX-60's arse easily ;)

4. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    oh yes for sure im getting water cooling and ugh i don't want to go for the intel beacuse thats replacing to much stuff i just resently bought soo aahh yeaahh and im planning to supercloak it=) reson being why im getting water cooling=) ahh i think im gonna stick to the 60 though.. is droping i believe the duo come out today? don't they?

5. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    if money is no object then go for conroe...

6. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    id go for the fastest dual core opteron and overclock it , or the 4800+

7. Azjo

Azjo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-TI Tw.Fr.2GB
    Why not get an asetek like the one guru3d has just reviewed?? then the fx-60 would certainly be able to kick some ass ;)

8. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    true... hehe