Global Warming

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Steven Hone, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I read that and it was very interesting however I can see a couple of possible problems with the data being gathered. I will have to do more research.

Edit: If that's you in your avatar r3claim3r you look exactly like my buddy Mike.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra

Just making sure, not that I believe we can do much about it.

3. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    -_-
    i know its the calculation of multiple areas. The point was that comparing the dynamic climate temperatures with an airless satellite isn't even science.

Droptards? That isn't a word. There is your sum of logic and intelligence.

They use the changes per year and compaison over decades and then over longer periods of time.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    lol, me too.

And if the sea levels rise just a little bit more, I will own waterfront property!

5. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    You have to be joking right?

6. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    You're right. Working out atmospheric temperature effect with a non-atmospheric satellite of the same geospatial distance as a baseline isn't scientific at all.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  7. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    As a baseline yeah, but solar radiation variances are already known. For the measurement we need to compare the effects of it to our neighbors, venus and mars and how the cloud composition affects the reflection of heat back into space. Remember, less cloud cover more the variance in temperature.

Science is an ongoing process and quick fixes don't exist.I should say that debunking without prolonged study is unscientific. Science has decades and some extent centuries of data to return to for verification, but claims have word of mouth.

8. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Wow still going. I wasn't talking about solar radiation variance, but the thermal effect of Earth's atmosphere. The baseline is therefore a mass equidistant to the sun without atmosphere - thus the moon.

It can be argued that a proportion of global warming may be due to solar radiation variation, but even if that is the case, it does not preclude the human effect.

Over the last 30 years, Earth's average temperature has increased 0.6C. That is 2% of the atmospheric differential between the Earth and it's moon. 2 PERCENT. IN 30 YEARS.

I could go on and on but I'm tired, so I'll leave it to others to duke it out.

9. Theres soo much talk about global warming. And i whole heartedly agree that every single breathing human has controbuted to this problem. Wars have come and gone, plauges have come and gone...but never before has mankind faced such a task.

The world needs to unite with one course in mind, healing mother nature or helping her to do it that little bit faster. Until this happens, and happens on a global scale we will not be able to halt this stem of change. In australia we are facing the worst drought for over a decade, we have a dry climate but not like this. The o-zone hole is above us, and it started to heal itself about 3 yrs ago, but that was stoped and rewinded the process because of the increase to global emissions.

Theres no " one way " ticket to stop this. On country of even 20 countrys cannot stop this problem. Even though we personally try to reduce or anual out put of emissions, someone else is increasing there. Im tired of this agrument on pointing fingures..." its the US" ..." its chine " face the facts! its you and I who have coursed this. We need to wake up! take action and stop this! Mother nature can do 99% of the work, shes proved it many times before. Give ehr some time, and a little push and things will start reparing alot faster then what scinetists say.

Think about this, how can people speculate on the time we have left, if this is the first time in history this has happened? How can they say doing this and doing that will help? Just do whats right, we all know whats wrong and right for the planet, its thats simple. We have created a " throw away life-style " , which i admit wont help, but by reducing usage day by day, GLOBALLY! that will save us.

Thats all i gotta say, peace out all! I love these forums, everyone ( well most ) are awesome, keep the posts comming, i love to read.

10. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Sad part about it is that people really fail to realize how dependent they are on nature. To do anything different or to improve the outlook of the environment means they will have to actually do work. Its not the science that they worry about, its the fact they could be wrong and have to admit it.

For all those who state how much control they have on the earth, look at any natural disaster. See how slow the authorities are to respond. Of course the US make a huge amount of money prolonging the problem, so why would they bother to try to help?

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    I'm going to be dead for eternity before Global Warming really has a big effect, so I have no reason to care. :(

12. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Yeah, it's called a sense of humor - maybe you should get one.

The fact you can't even post on any subject in these forums without bashing the USA is quite pathetic IMO.

13. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    lol, the sarcasm didn't follow very well, that why I asked.

And the US policy leads to crap so its bash worthy.

14. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I am pretty skeptical about the whole man did it global warming/ climate change issue to begin with and I'm definitely not an Earth worshiper like some of these people however I must say that your statement is just a skosh selfish and shortsighted in nature.

We all have a responsibility to be good stewards of our environment so that we can pass it on to the next generation.

I am definitely not for wrecking the economy or any other crazy plan put forth by the environmentalist whack jobs. I am however all for each person doing what they can at an individual and family level to make sure that they leave as little a foot print as possible in their everyday lives. Turn lights out, walk sometimes instead of driving, and don’t throw waste oil or old batteries in the local Denny's dumpster.

I for one don't like going to a beach and having to worry about getting sick because some yahoo dumped poison in the water.

Lastly the US bashing should stop period. It serves no purpose what so ever and it only detracts from the discussion at hand. If you want to bash a country about pollution, war mongering, human rights, environmental issues etc. there are a whole host of countries on Earth with a far worse track record in those areas then the US so pick one of them for a change. It gets real old after a while.

15. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    lol, well put gun. since you actually proposed advice on the situation, I'll lay off the bashing.
    ^_^

16. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1228270320070612?feedType=RSS&rpc=22

This is what I'm talking about. You mean to tell me that the US military did not think to test the drinking water being given to soldiers and their families before 1987?

I remember when I went to boot camp in Great Lakes IL in 1989. All the drinking fountains on base had signs on them that stated that the water had a high level of lead and that you should not drink the water. The only problem was that was the only water available to drink, bathe in or cook in.

You would think that the US Government would take better care of its soldiers, marines, aviator, sailors and their combined families.

This is my example of constructive US bashing. :grin:

17. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    So much emotion.

The very first thing everyone needs to realize that there is a dramatic stifling of skepticism on this subject and that is bad no matter what you think. Science itself is severely suffering from the global warming issue. Scientists are losing jobs over the very idea they question any little part of the data! Both the head climatologists for Washington and Oregon have been fired for coming out saying that cascade glacier melting has been intentionally and severely exaggerated. They didn't say global warming wasn't man-made. They just questioned one piece of data..and they lost their jobs over it.

That isn't science. That is politics.

So anyone who keeps saying the science is all that matters on this issue IS blind to the reality of what is going on.

No one is saying we should maintain the status quo. No one is saying we should not develop non-fossil fuel based energy sources. NO ONE is saying we should do nothing as so many people in this thread assume.

Global warming is destroying science. That is the problem with it.

18. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I agree, politics is clouding the issue to the point where there is no more real truth in it. No one is allowed to have a dissenting opinion or they pay with their heads.

The man caused global warming debate sounds eerily similar to the raging debate about is there a god?

To some science has become almost a religion of sorts. The religion of 'no god'.

To others the Earth has become their god.

Lastly others have begun to worship money and power which is their god.

All these groups call each other heretics and fanatics when they have a disagreement.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  19. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    my final word on this is, most scientist would hope the predictions are wrong because if its not its very, very bad. Prevention is better than cure, and if you correct the problem now, you don't have to spend a lifetime fixing it. Its the only rock we have and is it really a smart thing to play chance?

20. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure however you don't want to treat someone for cancer when they have appendicitis.

We need to set aside all the panic and political posturing and take the time to find out if there really is a problem and if so what is causing it. Then we can use accurate thinking to plan and prepare at least that’s what I have taught my kids – make decisions through facts not what you think is going on or through feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.