Global Warming - The Hidden Truth

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by SharpyMerc, Mar 14, 2007.

?

Global Warming - do you Believe?

1. Yes, it's the worst threat mankind has faced.

28 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Yes, But they've hyped it up!

30 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Yes, But it's a natual cycle we're going through.

34 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. I don't give a damn, I'm not giving up my car.

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. I don't care , it's all about raising taxes.

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. No, it's total bull!

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. No, But it's a natual cycle we're going through.

10 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. No, But they've hyped it up!

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I prefer the way South Park painted him. LOL.

2. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    ManBearPig. :)
    I missed most of that episode unfortunately but it's going to be on again on Friday.

I think the Daisy commercial illustrates his political strategy well though.

Daisy Commercial
    Problem: Destruction of mankind through nuclear holocaust.
    Strategy: Show powerful images of poor little girl getting her atoms split.
    Solution: Vote Johnson and he'll make it go away.

Inconvenient Truth (basically a 2hr campaign ad)
    Problem: Destruction of mankind through global warming
    Strategy: Show powerful images of hurricane victims getting blown away.
    Solution: Vote Gore and he'll make it go away.

I'm pretty certain at this point that Gore does not personally believe what he's saying, nor does he intend to do anything other than a few token environmental laws is he gets into power.
    I hear Gore is releasing another movie. It's called a Convenient Lie: How I Became President. It will be premiered to the public November 2008.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  3. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    With his 12000+ Sq foot home, fleet of SUV's, limousines and a private jet. Yeah I feel better already.

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    America, meet your new president! :p
    It's like trading a Pinto for a Geo.

The primary reason Gore lost the 2000 election was due to his lack of charisma. Say what you want about Bush, but he's good at presenting himself to the public, and was easier for voters to relate to.
    What better way to boost your charisma than to make a hit documentary, win an Oscar, and get treated like a rock star wherever you go. When Gore was in Toronto recently, tickets to see him speak were sold out in minutes!

In a year's time, you won't even know who Clinton and Obama are.

What I'm getting at here is that global warming is 90% junk science, 10% actual science, and 100% politics.

5. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    It's a natural cycle, just like the ice age. Mankind just accelerates the cycle with our byproducts. You could say using the bathroom causes global warming because of all the nitrogen and methane. Please. I'm just sick of breathing in all the smog and cigarette smoke.

6. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Exactly. I could not have said it better myself.

7. snowolves

snowolves Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATi Radeon 9550 128M
    US should sign the Kyoto Protocol.

8. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    but the trouble with gore is he is not turning any deniers into believers. it is the believers that are going to see him.

he reminds me of barbra striesand, she live in a huge mega million dollar house, has a fleet of cars, flies in private jets, but asks the little people to cut back on their driving and turn their heat back in the winter and A/C up in the summer while she lives the life of a fat liberal do gooder.

9. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Have faith young Padawan. Remember the Jedi mind trick only works on the weak minded.

10. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Gun4hire can you show me some references to these scientists "coming out" as you stated earlier. I'd like to see the sources.

As for Al Gore, of course there is hypocrisy in stating a message and then not living by it directly. Last time I checked though, he is not the "official spokesman" for climate change (why I lolled in my previous post), an accredited scientist, nor the originator of the "theory".

Lets keep this thread about climate change, and not about a self appointed spokesman. Science doesn't like being politicised.

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=c6a32614-f906-4597-993d-f181196a6d71

Really? I've been closely following politics for years and analyzing it for the past four. Science and politics are like white and bread. Scientists rely heavily on government grants for their research. Scientific institutions spend a huge amount of time and effort lobbying and cajoling politicians.

12. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    tell that to al gore.

his face is the face of global warming.

plus check out the drudgereport. there are several articles on there about scientist that are under pressure for disagreeing with the doomsayers about Global warming

13. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Not really a fan of the options so here is my opinion

(1) Global warming exists, evidence has confirmed this 100%.

Are humans increasing the natural warming cycle?

(2) Yes, temperatures have risen quicker in the last 150 years then the Earth has ever done before the industrial revolution.

(3) Is it the most serious threat to mankind? Nope I can think of a lot worse things. Lets see... an asteroid hitting Earth, the world deciding to launch an all out nuclear war, the sun expanding (granted it wont be for another 3 billion years), etc. Is it a "threat"... well that all depends on where you live and what you consider a threat. If change is a threat to you... then yes this is a serious threat.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  14. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Orenda, science being politicised goes against its true ideology, the fact that science is politicised isn't what I meant. Thnx for the links though m8.

15. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970

16. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    When politics forces its way into science then it is no longer science. Politics wants Yes/No answers... science doesn't supply that. Science by its ideology requires lots of skepticism. There are many "laws" and "theories" that are accepted as truth, but technically speaking there is no "scientific fact". A scientist will normally say "scientific fact" is a theory that hasn't been disproved yet. Many thought Newton's Laws of Motion were as the name puts it, laws... but Newton's Laws of Motion do not work everywhere.

17. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    pmanipole, from your second link:

"Scientists threatened for 'climate denial'

By Tom Harper, Sunday Telegraph
    Last Updated: 12:24am GMT 11/03/2007

Scientists who questioned mankind's impact on climate change have received death threats and claim to have been shunned by the scientific community.

They say the debate on global warming has been "hijacked" by a powerful alliance of politicians, scientists and environmentalists who have stifled all questioning about the true environmental impact of carbon dioxide emissions."

This is what I mean't by science and politics. Its pretty obvious that most western governments lately have been using the "fear" tactic to inflate (in our minds) their importance. With the waning of terrorism as the number one fear tactic, it seems climate change is the new thing "they" need to save us from.

Climate change is real, although our true impact on it is far from verified. The fact that pollies are now using it to promote their own cause is sad, but due to the nature of politics, inevitable.

18. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    One other thing, its funny to see the debate come full circle. The original proponents of climate change were stifled by big business and governments, not wanting to effect the financial bottom line. Now its a viable election platform. Lol.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well a lot of evidence points towards natural happenings. But at the same time I dont think we are helping. I just dont think we are the "cause" of it. I really dont believe mankind is going to raise earths temps 100 degrees on their own.

20. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire

Actually there isn't any evidence to suggest that climate change is a natural variability. The primary argument against climate change is that the Earth's climate has changed in the past, independant of mankind's actions. As for 100 degrees, would that be 3 degrees C +/- 97?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.