Giving up smoking for good this time!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by nateluthje, Sep 3, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    G'day all.

I have been a smoker since my mid-teens (i'm now 34, almost 35). I have tried to quit at least 20-25 times. The longest I went without a smoke was 3 months. Anyway, the price of smokes in Australia is ridiculous, because of the tax the Australian government implements.

It has just gone up $5 a pack (25's) to over $26. I used to sell teenagers smokes for a $1 each around 15 years ago. (when a pack of ciggies cost me like $5).

Not paying $26 for a pack of smokes, so I've decided to quit for good this time. By the middle of 2017, a pack of 25's will be over $40 (that's one of the election promises of the current government).

Anyone else thinking of giving up, I'd like to hear from you.

Cheers,

Nate.

2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Im quiting too! 5 months cold turkey. Check this thread i created not long ago:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=409572

It is a difficult task but with the right mindset and perseverance i believe its doable.

Best of luck mate :)

3. machete

machete Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080/G12
    26$ for a pack of smokes???? holy moly. use vaporizer and make your own juice.. i buy all the ingredients i need for $30 and it last me about 4-5 months, where as i use to smoke half pack a day.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Good for you!

I still find I enjoy a butt here and there, so I dont know that I'll ever fully *quit*. What I have done, however, is quit buying packs.

If I have buds provide me one once in a while yeh, I'll still go for it :)

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Nothing but benafits to quit man, I wish you luck! I have been smoking for a long time also since 15, I am almost 40 now. If you dont die from cancer at least use the monsy you saved for something good. Nick

6. Salem13

Salem13 Guest

Tonight at 11:25 marks 5 years smoke free.

1st, set a date.

Do a twice daily reaffirmation, once when you wake up once before bed.

"On September 30th I will quit cigarettes"

"September 29th will be my last day as a smoker"

At least two weeks work.

Do not have, a last pack, smoke, no pomp and circumstance, just smoke as normal...

...well, nothing financially detrimental. Don't buy a carton on Wednesday and quit Thursday morning.

On the day you want to quit have yourself crazy busy.

Just get up, got to work and don't smoke.

I cleaned a lot on our work property that had been neglected for three years.

Obviously I quit in September so it was shoulder high weeds. It took two full 8 hour days.

I did also use some prescription drugs, all day both days I ate Valium like salted nuts. OK, not that bad but I was less than sober. Just me, the weeds and the work, and the power of Roche Pharmaceutical.

Now obviously, no doctor in there right mind prescribes anyone more than a few days worth of such drugs and the revelation to me was on the third day my first thought was, I'm almost out of Valium, *%&$^ the doc will never give me more.

(I used a weeks worth)

My second thought was hey, I quit smoking now lets not get hooked on Valium!

I have not had a Valium or tobacco product since.

So many turned down blunts, sigh, but you can not cheat.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  7. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Good luck bro:) Switched to vaping here after 30 years and slowly reducing the nicotine level its been about 4 months on the vape and i can say I don,t miss the cigarettes, its crazy the price of smokes here a cheap pack of 20 is $20..also my wife loves the fact my clothes and breath don,t stink of smoke and the extra cash haha

8. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Step one is to decide to quit.
    Step two is to hop a ride to the local hospital, and ask to take a walk through the respiratory wing and see why you should quit up close and personal.
    Trust me it works.

9. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Not sure this will help lol.. my dad smoked for over 30y. Stopped in one day. He was marine.. was tough and mean. So.. yeah.. When others said you cant after so long.. you cant brake it just like that.. what ever.. up to you.

10. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I've quit the fags again for the upteenth time. Am trying again using a vape.
    My wife still smokes, and after a day or so quit, smocking smells discusting. :puke2:
    I am 41, 20.5st. So I think its time I did something about it. Hopefully walking up stairs will get easyer.
    One day at a time. That's all I can do.:)
    (Started when I was 13yrs.)

11. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Oh and I have so much respect for those who quit.

12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    smoking fags huh? Lol.my wifes grandma was a hardcore smoker as well as my mother they both attended some kind of seminar where they hitmitize you to quit the fags lol.... It worked for my wifes side but my mom came out saying what a bunch of bs , haha! One thing i didnt like when i was in the hospital i had a nurse who freakin smoked,, she would come in smelling like a chimney from a mile away! At that point asked myself well dont you relize you smell the same way as her ?! Its a nasty habit i applaude anyone who quits for real.

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Never smoked so never had to quit so not even going to pretend to give advice all I will say is good luck!