Gigabyte Teams Up With Intel On Side-Channel Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'd be interested in seeing a review from someone on the performance effect of the different BIOS patches. Previous microcode/OS Spectre patches reduced CPU performance by about 3% (Skylake), I'd like to see what the performance hit is of these new upcoming patches against the 'more newly' found types of Spectre attacks.

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    On this site ill be posting a review of what I saw to be the biggest performance hit, the Optane drives. I did some quick checking a while back and 4KQ1T1 dropped 25% post patching.

I will be testing the 900P on 1709 + old BIOS and then on up to date 1803 + new BIOS. I should be doing the workstation build sometimes this week.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Good stuff, are you gonna provide a link to it in this thread? Are you talking about testing the patches for the latest Spectre vulnerabilities discussed in this article (not the old ones)? Will you be doing CPU performance tests too, that's more interesting to me personally? I know that Optane and the very fast M2 PCIe SSDs already take a big hit in performance with even the current Spectre patches.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700

I'll make a note of this thread so I can link it. The test will be very simple, OS + BIOS before any of these patches started and OS + BIOS 100% up to date.

I will see what I have time for when it comes to other testing, the disk access is the one that will be the worst hit from I have seen and there wont even be a close second.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    More like Gigabyte teaming with Intel to sell more motherboards, cuz all i see is H370, B360, Z370 and X299.

Sucks to be you Gigabyte because next round it will be ASUS for me.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have not used a Gigabyte board since my X58, that was a kick as board though.

And honestly I dont know if I will. I have gotten quite the soft spot lately for ASRock boards.
    My last board was an ASUS X79, and it was bad ass also. That thing did 125 BLCK and I pushed a i7 3820 to 5.2 ghz.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    im not sure what this team up entails, gigabyte doesn't have quality software engineers

9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Testing is up"

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/m...ormance-hit-tested-on-optane-and-vroc.421594/