Gigabyte Releases AORUS Gen4 SSD NVMe SSDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gigabyte outs a PCIe gen 4 compatoble SSD series, the AORUS Gen4 SSD NVMe SSDs. Available i 500GB, 1TB and 2TB these SSDs look like OEM kits that you've seen already in the form of Phison based prod...

Gigabyte Releases AORUS Gen4 SSD NVMe SSDs

2. Just grabbed one of these, finally figured I should try a Gen 4 nvme out... they look really nice

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
  4. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    You do a lot of copying files between local drives? Because that's the only real world thing these are faster at, and even then you'll only really see the benefit if you have two of them to copy between.

I am really hoping that now that the new consoles can actually make use of faster drives that it will trickle over to the PC side, but until it does, these are mostly a waste of money.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Adata sx8200pro pci-e 3.0 is still way cheaper and faster in everything but pure seq read and write.

Overpriced gigabutt m.2 ssd.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Huh that's interesting although perhaps not too unsurprising to hear.

Suppose SSD's will be offset by having this new PCI Gen4 controller but the cost is reduced by usage of quad and penta layer cells on the flash memory itself and how this is handled or done through caching.
    Would be interesting with a dual or triple layer SSD and what can be done for the controller itself as more PCI Gen4 compatible ones are made though then it might just be the OS itself for Windows PC at least and the cluster size and file system structure potentially.

Fancy 1 - 2 TB dual or triple layer SSD PCI Gen4 would probably have a pretty hefty price premium too, probably one reason why even some of the reputed high-end models like the recent Samsung one is as I recall at least quad layer based now.
    Will be interesting to see what happens, hexa layer, whatever seven is and octa layer there has to be a limit too for diminishing returns and overall expected lifetime or durability or how to call it and speeds although if storage capacity is all consumers see maybe there isn't one?

EDIT: What's Microsoft doing anyway, Direct Storage something. Probably different but kinda seems like something similar to RAM drive or just caching into RAM although loading of data and for the consoles and gaming there would be IO and transitions to and from the GPU also.

Hmm well there has to be situations outside of enterprise or server too where this can see advantages but so far just going from any mechanical HDD even if it's SATA connected that's about the biggest difference and then there's various additional top speed advantages and situational performance gains from moving to PCI or M.2 formats and such.

RAID's a thing too with multiple disks although I recall RAID0 at least having some disadvantages in terms of reliability but for less important data and where speed is concerned that'd be a thing too I suppose.

What do I know, will have a lot of reading up on advancements to the file system, OS and later SSD tech in addition to any possible gains from PCI Express 4.0 here (Just max speeds?) and PCI Express 5.0 later on. (More than just top speeds?)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020