Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3x

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by spidermind79, Nov 7, 2014.

1. spidermind79

spidermind79 Member

GPU:
    aorus extreme 1080ti
    Hey guys, i'm making a whole new pc, but here in italy i cannot find the 970 g1 gaming , and for at least 7 days more there is no chance, instead there is Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3x arriving in stock monday, i saw that has minus mhz boost on core and lacking backplate, someone tell that has 2 heatpipe minus the g1 gaming so 4-6 degree more hotter will be the windforce, what u tell me? buy windforce or wait for g1? otherwise what 970 is best : http://www.e-key.it/cat-geforce-900-3274.htm :confused:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    They both oke just dont go sli yet maxwellls have to many problems atm, dont ask me why.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-series-owner-return-your-card-major-issues-/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/155/geforce-900-series/

I like the 900 sieres allot, but after yesterday, i readed allot of problems with the maxwell, u could just have a good card and have no problems, but dont expect miracles.

3. spidermind79

spidermind79 Member

GPU:
    aorus extreme 1080ti
    I just want one for now so are all ok? Can i go to windforce model? Btw i saw gigabyte 290x oc pretty close to 970..

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34

I don't think getting a decent 970 would be a "miracle"..

And I don't know why you have this agenda to spread misinformation on these boards..

The 970s are young still but people like myself have zero problems with them in SLI. The issue is not the hardware it's the profiles and drivers, as usual.

OP: the main problems with the windforce are lack of backplate as you mentioned.. stock clocks are lower, but I'm pretty much 100% sure you could clock them to reach the stock clocks of the G1.

For overlooking the G1 and MSI are the best from my readings. If you're going single card, either one of those would serve you well, but if you can't wait I'm sure the x3 would be very good too.

5. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Well lets just hope for the best then, cause i am also in a situation atm to order 2 of them in sli, for full HD en 2560x1440p, but what brand i really dont know yet, like u pm me before that they can be pretty looud under load, thats a bit of a letdown for me.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    With computer hardware you are always hoping for the best. Even new out of the box could be DOA right?

Any of these 970 could get loud under full load.. what video card doesn't with stock cooling?

Plus you are looking to go SLI.. 2 cards with fans cranking at full load? That's going to be noisy regardless. There are only 3 ways I could see that you could SLI and have it be very quiet..

1) You have great air flow and a cooler room temperature, so your cards get very cool air incoming. Then, you can set your Fan profiles on the cards to be very aggressive. You may cook your cards a bit doing this, but they will stay much quieter overall.

2) You replace the stock coolers with aftermarket cooling from Arctic Cooling for example. this will keep your cards just as cool as the stock coolers but with much less noise overall. In some cases, you don't even need to turn the fans up on them and they are whisper quiet.

3) You put them under water.

Those are your options. If you're planning on sticking with stock cooling, using for example 2 Strix, 2 G1, 2 EVGA ACX, you're going to hear them at full load. No way around that.. so if you have some magic trick to make them not be loud, I'd love to hear it! :)

And again, when I mentioned my SLI being noisier, keep in mind that I have ZERO fans bringing cool air into my case. Currently I have my two 970 (6 fans total) and 2 120mm fans exhausting out the top of my case through the h100 cooler.
    That's it. I'm sure if I added more inbound cool air, my temps would be WAY better on the cards, and they would then spin up less at load.. but I personally prefer how quiet my system is at idle, and when I game I use headphones, so the noise of the fans at load doesn't even effect me.

Also, what is noisy? Its totally subjective.. what's noisy for me may not be noisy to someone else. I'm VERY sensitive to noise so I may say "well that's very noisy" and someone else would hear it and laugh and say "that's not noisy at all".

The only way to know for sure is to get a card and try it out. If you're unhappy, just exchange it!

7. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

if u can, put them under water.

currently i have MSI GTX 770 Lightning in SLI under water. When i had the normal air coolers on it, it would easily reach temps of 80c on both. Right now under water, around 40c - 45c temp range.

I have already bought 2 water blocks and 2 nickel back plates from EKWB got GTX 980.

Got one card, waiting to get me other before i start. should be real soon. :D

8. 3dfan

3dfan Member

GPU:
    gigabyte WINDFORCE 3X 970

i got the exact model you are are refering to, the gv-n970wf3oc-4gd, gigabyte gtx 970

i can tell you this is a great 970 card and also has a nice overlocking potential, i was able to easily overclock by 190 mhz core clock with afterburner without rising voltage or memory using automatic fan speeds, and so far it has been stable at that speed, also temps arounds the 70s C on load without fans spining at full speed.

i havent tried to push this card even further with overvoltages or memory OC only tried 200mhz core clock but started to behave unstable.

however im happy with this overclock, according to the following benchmarks, in which test they used very closed hardware to mine, with this oc speed i have reached the stock 980 speeds since i also got 66 fps in the 1080p test and 89fps in the 900p test, using same settings as them:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/19.html

those are my current stable settings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014