Gigabyte Nan-Ping Factory Tour - Creation of a motherboard [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Last week Guru3D visited Gigabyte's Nan-Ping production factory in Tawan. We followed the design and productions stages of both a motherboard and VGA card. In this article we'll take you though the...

More...

2. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Wow, that's a lot of 9800GTs :D
    It suprises me how many people are at work there.
    and how many QA tests the boards go through :p

Interesting stuff.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    very interesting

i'm thinking you could have did gigabyte a service and hid all the yellow,powder blue and pink ram+pci-e slots:).
    cool arti boss

4. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    More history between you and Gigabyte to add to the scrapbook!

Nice to see that they're willing to show what's going on.

5. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Wow and i just bought a gigabyte board, i didn't know there was that much hands on activity.

With so much room for human error, and the fact the ratio of bad boards is so low, i'm very impressed. With the skill of those ladies and the patience.

6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Very interesting article. Thanks. :)

7. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    Wow!

Ok so I must admit I have yet to own a Gigabyte Motherboard... YET. But after seeing the process here and a few other places the i7 setup i am going to build is definatly going to be i7! Great article! It would have been cool to see video of some of the machines, I can only imagine what they look like moving!

8. linson

linson Member Guru

GPU:
    PC 5850 + LG 32LH70YR
    great article....

have been to Matsu****a Electric Ind. few years ago, and this kinds of tour is very fun.

... up

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Interesting article, I would like to have more of these :)

Finnish PC magazine MikroBitti visited Gigabyte's mobo factory few years ago and told that all assembly lines compete with other lines and worst like gets fired (was it every month of week, cant remember). So, better do good job and try to push out as much working stuff as you can or whole line gets fired...

10. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I was a bit surprised at how much is done manually as well as how fast and efficient the line was even with that.

Just got a Gigabyte board recently actually. I had all the spare components sitting around for a C2D machine but was missing a motherboard. Microcenter had one of Gigabyte's P45 boards on sale for less than the P43 boards and it was a better feature set and board design than the MSI that was also on sale so I picked it up. It's worked beautifully.

And, I love these type articles on the inner workings of the tech industry. It's truly fascinating to see and learn about the manufacturing process each company employs.

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Great work Hilbert, I've truly always wanted to know more about how the manufacturing process works for computer hardware (especially since I'm in graduate school for Mechanical Engineering)! As Norvekh mentioned above I was also surprised by just how much manual labor is employed in making these components, I just assumed it was all automated? Here in New Hampshire (USA) where I live there are very few opportunities to visit manufacturing facilities like this so thanks very much for taking the time to show us with such a great article!

12. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I'm totally saving this article for work tomorrow.

Great stuff in advance Hillbert. I love your writeups.

13. shaggeyman39

shaggeyman39 Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X 4850 705Clock 1150Mem
    Wave solder is cool. I wonder how it looks precisely applying. I noticed that they are packaging amd 790x boards. I love the one I have the temps are so low and with a x2 7750 and AMD acc in hybrid mode I can overclock to 3.5ghz stable. This company is deffenatly gettin good and big.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I always wanted to see the inside of a factory, it may not be real life but it was interesting to read, thanks.

Now if Gigabyte would get some style and stop making their motherboards so fugly :wanker:
    Outside of Japan Matsush!ta has always been called Panasonic and now I think their Japanese industries have the name changed to Panasonic as well.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  15. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Great article, thanks for making it possible to take a look at what processes are taking place inside of a factory such as this one. It's actually quite interesting to see so many people involved, and as said above, I'm also amazed with it. It would be also interesting to see the lower level, i.e. how the most advanced GPUs or CPUs are made :nerd: I bet the environment there is even more sterile.

On a side note I'd like to say that I have two Gygabyte parts in my rig and totally loving them :)

16. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    Indeed, very interesting.

However why the hell is 90% of the employes are women?!? 0_o

17. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Women have more patience than men, small hands, see more details and have more babies to feed, so they can work for less salary ;)

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yeah, so we can open our case and stare at them all day.:gape:

19. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Did they say why they have such ugly color scheme or it's still a secret ?

20. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    Bah don't tell me you don't like the color sheme of that board. I really like their dark-shiny blue. It's not like the fugly brown/yellow from older Asus board or the red from MSI.