Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming photo Surfaces

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    So, this Gigabyte GTX 1070ti only has one 8 pin connector - that's 150W + the 75W that comes from the PCIe slot - so in total only 225W maximum! I don't think that's enough for a card so close to a GTX 1080. My overclocked GTX 1070 can pull over 220W (my card has x2 8pin), so I hope that the fact that with this GTX 1070ti only having one 8pin connector - I hope this doesn't substantiate some of the rumours going around that GTX 1070ti won't even be software manually overclockable! I mean I can't believe that would be the case, but I don't think one 8 pin connector is enough otherwise. Thoughts?

EDIT: from reading around PCIe slot can support 75W-150W, but I think I also remember reading you don't want the PCIe slot pulling too much. If it's safe for PCIe slot to pull 150W, then combined with 8pin connector this gives 300W of potential to the GTX 1070ti pictured here. 300W is enough, but I remember hearing it's bad practice to have the card pulling a lot of Watts through the PCIe slot.

Thoughts on all of this? Still concerned that single 8 pin on this card could substantiate rumours that GTX 1070ti is not overclockable.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

You do know 150w is just a PCIe spec and not an actual limitation of it right?

A single 8pin, provided wire gauge is sufficient, can supply 200-300w

A 1080 uses about 165w under load, i figure a 1070ti will be 5% less than that.

So even at 225w tdp limit, it should be fine.
    Pascal is especially good when undervolted, which reduces power consumption.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    There was a whole hoo-hah when AMD cards exceeded PCIe slot specs, can't remember if this was 75W or 150W. Makes me conclude that it's not good practice to allow it to exceed that. Info I found for 8 pin was 150W, do you have any links you can show me that support that it's ok for 8 pin to supply 200-300W?

Reference GTX 1080 uses 184W under load according to guru3d (http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,8.html), not the 165W you mentioned. But, like I said in my EDIT in my previous post: 150W+150W (PCIe slot + 8pin) = 300W, which should be enough for GTX 1070ti. Factory Overclocked aftermarket GTX 1080 using about 224W according to guru3d (http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_1080_strix_oc_11_gbps_review,8.html), and if you were to raise power limit of that in software by up to 20%, then this would be 270W possible ceiling - that's still within the 300W limit that I showed earlier - so looks like we'll be alright with single 8 pin on GTX 1070ti after deliberations, as long as PCIe slot is ok to supply 150W!

Well you found the same information as me initially. A further google and I found in a guru3d graphics card review where it stated something along the lines of PCIe being able to supply 75W-150W.

EDIT: I'm still not convinced that PCIe slot should draw more than 75W, I did some more googling just now on the hoo-hah created by AMD cards drawing more power than they were supposed to from the PCIe slot, it was the RX480 (https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...ion-Concerns-Fixed-1671-Driver/Power-Testing-). And in this case it was only drawing slightly over 75W (80W+) which AMD then fixed by releasing newer drivers that reduced the amount of power being taken from the PCIe slot. This makes me think that 150W from the PCIe slot is really not advisable. This would mean this GTX 1070ti has 75W + 150W (from 8pin) = 225W, which is not enough for good overclocking of GTX 1070ti. @Agent-A01 said 8pin can pull well over 150W safely, but would be good to see some evidence/links for this. Otherwise I think this card needs another connector.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I know that post wasn't in answer to me - but easy tiger, don't need that much aggression no!

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I didn’t say pcie slot I said the PCIe 8pin.

If you want evidence look up how much amperage a 16 gauge or 18 ga wire will handle and multiply that by 12v. Times that by 3(6pin and 8pin have 3 12v wires) and you’ll get total wattage that’s possible.

It’s basic electrical engineering, you don’t need some random dude online for “evidence”

As for pcie slot. No you do not want to see more than 75w.

Most boards are not designed to supply more than that and are limited by the small traces(basically very thin wires). Small ga wires have less amperage support.
    Draw more than the wire supports will cause significantly more heat through those traces which is why that amd debacle started

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ~250W (7A x 3 x 12V)

Depending on the implementation specifics (type of core insulation, heat dissipation, ambient temp)

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Of course there are other things to consider like conductors etc, but 3 wires on 18ga each can theoretically supply 10amps each, times 12v.
    That would be a theoretical limit of 360watts for both 6pin and 8pin(both have same amount of 12v wires,)

For 16ga wires, that amperage is increased to 13amps. 13x3x12.
    That's a theoretical limit of 468w.

Depending on amount of current carrying conductors it could be less, but at least here, the worry about a single 8pin not supplying enough current is non issue.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah 10A, my bad...Still, there is a reason why PCI-E standard sets 75/150W limit for add in boards power connectors.
    I forgot it, and I don't feel like reading boring PDF again. Heat proly and then some safety margin.
    Come to think of it, nah... not heat over wires... I dunno/

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    They do that for 2 reasons.
    Cheap power supplies have cheap components.

You also have to look at GPUs themselves.
    GPUs that have cheap circuitry as well.

Not all are built to the same quality obviously.

I ran a titan kepler on h20 highly overclocked, utilised 600w under full load.
    8pin and a 6pin.

Never had any issues.

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sounds like when you start going significantly over the 150W spec for the 8pin then you have to be certain that you have a quality power supply as well as confidence in the power circuitry of your GPU, and when companies design GPUs they'd want to over-engineer them so that issues like PSU problems you mentioned wouldn't occur (ie using more 8 pin power connectors for instance). The main reason why I piped up about the single 8pin power connector on this GTX 1070ti is that I was concerned that it was indicative of rumours saying 1070ti might not be overclockable - I'm less concerned about that now after listening to you & a few others, but it does seem to have less power connectors than most aftermarket cards in this performance category which continues to seed doubt in my mind.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  12. alchemist83

alchemist83 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hmm, so this discussion got turned into some sort of electrical convention? If you're looking for a g card with higher power draw (seems like you'd prefer more power draw for some reason??) then go buy a 1080ti. Maybe NVIDIA has perfected the power draw on this card.. We wont know till release. Just think its funny how you lot bitch back and forth. My balls are bigger. And BS called to simply wanting to know if the rumors are true on the overclock lock down. You could have declared that long ago. Perhaps at the start...

Personally I'm doubtful of the overclock lock down. Its a ti. Shouldn't that mean it has extra poke?

Noisiv likes this.