Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R works well with E8400?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by GenerationGXX, Jan 20, 2008.

1. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    I am planning to get E8400 and new upgrade soon, but since this is the new generation line of intel cpu, Would the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R works and OC well with this CPU?

if not, can you guys recomend me a good OC board with this cpu?
    thanks

2. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yes it will probably OC good. It's suppost to support 45nm processors.

3. hypnotoad24

hypnotoad24 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB
    Something caught my eye, and that's the GA-EP35-DS3R. Note the "E". If it weren't impossible to find in Canuckland, I would seriously be eyeing it. Seems like nothing but improved over the non-E, but I haven't really checked it out in depth. 8 SATA and 8 USB vs 6 and 4 sat well with me. I think they're roughly the same price too.

Oh and to answer your question, I'm pretty sure I saw it claim "45nm" support, though whether you need a BIOS update I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Probably do need a bios update when it comes out.

5. GenerationGXX

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    How do I update the bios of the mobo? I have never done it before, is it difficult to do? where can i find the updates?

thanks

6. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    It's easy. They usually have a program on the drivers cd where you can install a program that will update your bios.

7. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Get the latest BIOS from Gigabyte's website. They have a small program that allows you to install it rather than doing it the ol' fashion way (floppy).

8. GenerationGXX

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    Cool! so there won't be any problems when just installing it through a program then through the floppy disk right?
    Because I have heard about it in the past and I thought it was too troublesome!

9. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Yeah I thought the same but I've done it similarly on my laptop too (Dell has a similar program/setup).

If you overclocked anything or have something changed in the BIOS such as SpeedStep/EIST, etc. I usually revert all those settings to the default. It's not neccessary but helps prevent any issues that might occur after the update.

10. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    With the program Gigabyte gives you, you don't need a floppy.

11. VD1

VD1 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 280 SC
    Speaking of Gigabyte boards, I found the GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 on newegg's website for 289$ and it supports the new 45nm Intels. Think this board would make the E8400 scream?

12. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yes it will

13. Butcherbird17

Butcherbird17 New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92)
    Using the Gigabyte @BIOS Utility to upgrade your BIOS is very easy. It also gives you the option to backup the BIOS before you update. As for the EP35 boards it is the new Gigabyte Dynamic Energy Saver Motherboards. Here is a list of GA boards that will have this feature..

P35 Models
    GA-EP35-DS4 / GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.1)
    GA-EP35C-DS3R / GA-P35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1)
    GA-EP35-DS3P / GA-P35-DS3P (rev. 2.1)
    GA-EP35-DS3R / GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 2.1)
    GA-EP35-DS3 / GA-P35-DS3 (rev. 2.1)

X38 Models
    GA-EX38-DS4

X48 Models
    GA-X48T-DQ6
    GA-X48-DQ6
    GA-X48-DS5

14. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    Yes install @BIOS Utility from the drivers CD, download the latest BIOS from Gigabyte site, put the .BIN BIOS file on the root of any FAT-FAT32 drive or USB stick (that's not 100% necessary) and lead the @bios utility where you put the new BIOS file.
    Finally follow the prompts. Don't check any boxes on @bios tool.
    Reboot when finished. Load optimized defaults. Reboot.
    Load your personal settings. Reboot to Windows.
    Good Luck!!!

15. timriley

timriley New Member

I've got an E8400 and the same GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard on its way as well but here is my dilemma... if the motherboard needs a BIOS update before it'll support the E8400, how the heck am I supposed to install @Bios or whatever to even DO the update since I'm assuming the computer won't run without a compatible processor in it? I'm upgrading from an old Pentium3 and I don't exactly have any LGA775 processors just lying around... I'm obviously still going to try turning it on with the E8400 in and cross my fingers, but if it won't boot, would I be able to at least get into the bios and use QFlash from a floppy? Or will I have to hunt down some poor soul who will let me 'borrow' their processor??

16. Jarrstin

Jarrstin Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 CF
    I have the light version of that board, the GA-P35-DS3L, and I've been looking into this and supposedly it will POST to where you can change the bios.

17. SierraX

SierraX New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT
    It should detect the CPU as unknown and load default setting for it. Once you flash the BIOS just reset it to the correct CPU.

18. timriley

timriley New Member

Thanks Jarrstin and SierraX... that's good to know. Will give it a try when I get it all next week and let ya know...

19. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Yup that board will be fine.

20. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    check my spec, and is running beautifully, i'm getting 4k cpu score on 3dmark06. my ram are holding me back, if not i would be at 4.5ghz