Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by W@w@Y, Feb 21, 2007.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    i might upgrade to a C2D setup next week, anyway, the store where am buying at has limited mobos and this one so far is the one i like, any thoughts/experiences with this mobo?

ill be pairing it with an e6300 and 1gig of geil pc4200

what do you think of this setup gurus?

how far can i oc it?(using stock coolers, and oh, room temp where i live ranges from 25-33c)

im also keeping my current PSU (12v1 + 12v2 @ 32amps)

2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    its a good mobo,havent had any trouble out of mine yet an ive had it about a month,stable at 3.5g at the moment

edit: also added artic silver ceramique instead of the standard intel coolant gel on the stock heatsink an fan,set the fan through gigabytes easy tune to spin up to 2000 rpm if the temps go above 40c,at idle it sits about 32c fan running about 1400rpm,under load about 46c,an still runnin solid,it would be a good choice of mobo imo

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Thats the board I am getting, once newegg's horse**** shipping gets it here. Ordered everything last friday at 8:45AM and I have yet to see any of it. Dunno why they switched to UPS for their favored shipping company. They were much better when FedEx was their primary company.. But from all the reviews I've read and from what people have told me on here, that board rocks for overclocking. Dunno how well it will do with only a stock hs/f. When I get the rest of my parts and get my stuff put together, I'll let ya know how far I can get it on a Freezer 7 Pro that I picked up locally for $35.

4. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    With this board get a E4300 .. it'd be running much faster than the E6300 ..

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    unfortunately an e4300 isnt available where i live yet..:(

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great overclocker board , but you need faster ram in order to get a good overclock on that 6300 , at least DDR2 - 800 , the board its an overclockers dream. im using Zalman CNPS 9500 + artic silver 5 and i was able to go as high as 4.0 , posted for a couple of minutes and my pc crash H2O needed above 3.8, but even at 3.8 was stable prime 95 for 12 hours. As of now i run at 3.6 24/7. I never tried with stock H/F so i dont really know how it performs on that cpu the intel stock H/F. Lots of overclocking friendly features in the bios. Remember to set the fan at legacy as soon as the board boot for the first time otherwise the fan wont run on the smart fan function , also you have to do all of the windows updates before installing the sound drivers otherwise they wont install. Just to give you an idea of how good of an overclocker board it is look here my 6600 at 3.8 totally stable.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=164324

Theres a lot of things to tweak in the bios if you need help send me a private message and im willing to help you with the right settings for Voltages and timings.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ga-965p-s3.html

Good Luck and enjoy it.:thumbup:

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    i might get it in a week or two, i dont have a buyer for my current proc/mobo/memory

so if i buy the PC4300 GEIL, i cant OC?

at what OC settings do you think can i get the e6300 with a PC4300 GEIL?

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Hi Waway , exactly what memory are you planning to buy? i guess you meant PC5300 GEIL. If so can you post a link or a screenie of the kind of memory you are getting? But remember every cpu overclocks different , you might get one that overclocks good or one that wont overclock at all, but i can give you a more or less estimate of what you might expect from your configuration depending of the hardware and my past experiences with a 6300 because i used to have one.

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    well here are my choices

1GB DDR2 667 Geil Single (2-yr wty) * P5,050
    1GB DDR2 533 GeiL Single (2-yr wrty) * P4,950
    1GB DDR2 800 GeiL Single (2-yr wrty) * P5,350
    1GB DDR2 800 GeiL Dual (2-yr wrty) * P5,450

though the one readily available in the store starts with a PC2 4xxx

im thinking its the lowly GEIL 533 (533x8=4200)
    so can I oc with this memory type?

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

Go for the 1GB DDR2 800 GEIL DUAL with this one yes you will be able to overclock nicely the 6300, but forget about your other choices if you plan to overclock the 6300. Im glad to help and i hope my information is usefull for you and other gurus as well.

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    oh so with anything lower than the DDR2 800, overclocking is a no go? oh my

12. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Well, yes and no. The faster stock speeds of the ram, the less oc'ing of the ram you will have to do to get your system to be stable once you oc the cpu. At least that is how it used to be for the most part. You should definately get some DDR2 800Mhz if you really wanna get that chip screamin.

13. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    What Sharoth said.

It really depends on your memory. I bought a couple of 667 sticks and I can only get my E6600 to 3.4 without any BSOD or Windows errors. I would recommend that you get PC-6400 or higher if you want to get that CPU screaming.

I wish I could OC more on my rig cause I have very good air cooling (25 idle, 44 load). :(

Mike.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    ok thanks...say i only want to get that e6300 to e660 (stock) levels?

how much OC is needed and (if the DDR2 800 isnt available) will the lower end RAM suffice?

15. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    shouldnt take too much overclock to reach the stock 2.4ghz of the e6600,an you may still have some overclocking room to go

16. blar

blar Active Member

sorry to hijack your thread but i am also thinking about getting this board

but i am new to intel so i am wondering if anyone know if it is better to get a nforce board instead of this???

i plan on getting a e6600 what type of ram should i get as well?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As the title on this thread said.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ga-965p-s3.html
    We wont talk about any other board on this thread , its Waways thread so have some respect.

18. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Yaaay! i sold my Proc, mobo and ram to my friend for P12,000 ($250) and ordered the gigabyte board, and e6300 and 1stick of geil DDR2 800 :D

so ill only add P10,000 (around $200) so i guess its a good deal considering the performance diff between my current rig and the new one :D

but the deal wont be completed till he returns from an out of town trip by the end of the month..( i have placed the order though for the new parts though :D)

Im so excited!

19. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Nice, I'm waiting here like an overexcited dog waiting for the UPS guy to pull up with the rest of my parts then I can actually build that system in my sig. lol

I'm sure you'll love that new system, as a friend of mine pretty much built the same system I'm waiting on and he's loving it.

20. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    so (i hope this wont jinx it) can you guys please share your BIOS settings to me..oh an i want to reach an OC of around2.5-2.8Ghz on the stock cooler

do note that i only have a 480W PSU with 32A on the 12vrail... but i was told at the PSU thread that the Core2duo consumes less power than my Venice so if im ok with my Venice OC,, my PSU can pretty much handle the Core2duo