Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P vs Asus ProArt B550-Creator

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Timothy Afghan, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Timothy Afghan

Timothy Afghan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Hi! I have a Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P still in the box, I was wondering if anyone could give any thoughts on the Asus ProArt B550-Creator.

I'll be loading one of these boards with a 5900X that I was lucky to snag on AMD a couple of weeks ago along with an RTX 3090 FE that I paid way too damn much for...

Both boards seem identical in most ways, however the Asus board has the standardized Thunderbolt 4.

I plan to leverage the onboard Thunderbolt with an eGPU, so I was wondering if I should wait to get the Asus and return the Vision D-P?

I can see the Gigabyte has better DIMM slots for overclocking, has a post code which I like.. I don't care about extreme memory overclocks.

Both boards have 2.5 ethernet.. Asus has 2 intel and the Vision D-P has one intel and one Realtek.. so advantage Asus.. I guess?

Would anyone be able to tell if the VRMs on the Asus are as good as the Vision D-P which from what I understand are pretty decent?

Thanks for any insight on these.'

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/ProArt/ProArt-B550-CREATOR/
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-10/sp#sp

2. Thomas Heidler

Thomas Heidler Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1060
    Hi Timothy,

seems that nobody has answered your questions yet. The point is that I'm currently contemplating about the same alternative. The difference is, that I discovered the ASUS model just yesterday. Unfortunately only few shops offer this board in Germany for now.

Since I'm not interested in real overclocking (standard XMP is sufficient for me), I don't care about the better overclocking ability of the RAM-Slots of the Gigabyte.

Regarding LAN-Ports I think the ASUS board deserves the pole position, hence Gigabyte just offers two 1GB/s Intel Ports due to the specs on the german homepage (ASUS two 2.5GB/s Intel). Both ports can be paired, which means 2GB/s at maximum for Gigabyte and 5GB/s for ASUS. But maybe the Gigabyte models delivered to the US are different.

Another negative point for Gigabyte: It hasn't got an internal USB-C header (connector). Since most cases don't provide USB-C ports, this probably isn't a big deal. Especially if you plan to connect a hub to the rear USB-C ports.

Another difference concerns the Power Supply of the CPU. While the Gigabyte provides just one traditional 8 Pin Plug due to the ATX specs, ASUS offers an additional 4 PIN Plug as the manufacturer does with the Crosshair VIII Hero. But even with the 5950 a single 8 Pin Plug should be sufficient, hence the added value of the additional plug ist not clear for me.

Overall my current favorite is the ASUS. More powerful LAN ports, internal USB 3.2 header, Thunderbolt 4 (versus 3). And last but not least the ASUS design fits better to my case, which I have already bought.

Bye Thomas

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    One has wi-fi built in the other doesn't, make sure you get what you want check out everything. Also get ram that is on the QVL for wichever board you get it takes some of the headache out of tuning the ram.

4. Thomas Heidler

Thomas Heidler Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1060
    Yeah, you're right. The ASUS has no WLAN. I forgot this point because almost every room of my house has one or two ethernet ports. I use the WLAN only with the portable devices. A PC normally isn't a portable device and I don't plan to participate LAN parties with the new PC. Hence the missing WLAN of the ASUS board isn't an issue for me.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021

5. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Gigabyte has 2 models the B550 Vision D
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10/sp#sp
    and the B550 Vision D-P
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-10/sp#sp

The D-P has two 2.5GbE LAN Intel/Realtek + front USB-C

Who is better?
    I do not know, but for dealing with Thunderbolt audio interfaces, the ASUS seems
    to be a bit better...
    https://gearspace.com/board/music-c...r-studio-pc-quot-thread-463.html#post15396309

6. Thomas Heidler

Thomas Heidler Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1060
    Hi Pictus,

thanks for this important hint. Seems that Gigabyte has been reacting to the reviews, which have been critisising these weaknesses. But I found the upgrade model only at a few shops, which indicates, that it has been introduced to the european market just a short time ago. But nevertheless I still see the ASUS board ahead regarding the LAN connectivity. You got there two identical INTEL ports in comparison with a mixture of Intel and Realtek. Is pairing still possible with the Intel/Realtek combination? I couldn't find an according hint on the Gigabyte website.

Anyway, with this upgrade, Gigabyte catched up. Unforunately also regarding the price.

7. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    I am glad to help, but I do not know about the pairing...

8. Thomas Heidler

Thomas Heidler Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1060
    Don't bother, meanwhile I purchased the Asus board. When the new build will be in operation I will report my experiences here. I got the following components.
    • MB: Asus B550 ProArt
    • CPU: Ryzen 5900X - meanwhile the price is reasonable
    • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-3600 - it's "only" the single rank version, but I think the single rank/dual rank discussion is overweighted
    • GPU: Zotac 1060 AMP! - Yeah, a little bit outdated, but I got this one already in my old PC and my son will give me his old RTX 2070i when the price for the 3070 will be acceptable.
    • SSD: WD_Black SN850 and Crucial P5 (there was a nice offer on prime day)
    • PSU: beQuiet dark power 12 750W - At first I opted for a Seasonic Prime, but they are only single rail and at last I decided to choose a multi rail due to safety reasons.
    • Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A - According to my experience Noctua builds the most solid coolers and you can use them for a very long time. This model is incredible efficient regarding it's size (I use it already in my old PC), okay and incredible expensive. But nevertheless worth the money.
    • Case: Coolermaster HB Evo - I like the cube architecture with the horizontal MB. No problems with a heavy GPU or a heavy CPU cooler. But I admit, it's not the proper outfit for that board.My excuse: I bought it already last year.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021