Gigabyte AORUS RAID SSD 2TB Sets the Standard for PCIe 3.0 - Deliver 6.2GB/s Read/Write Speeds

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    One would mistake it for a graphics card.

Loophole35 likes this.
  3. These are pretty cool. i can't wait to see them in pcie 4.0

4. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    Raid-0 with four drives , LoL. You take x4 chances of hardware failure this way. Good for a gaming PC, but for gaming you dont need that kind of speed. For Pro workloads, this is very risky.
    Not to be speak about the load this will likely put on the CPU, I guess it's software driven. If you need that kind of speed you should consider professional raid Adapters with x8 interface from LSI or alike that are hardware accelerated.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The risk is practically insignificant. RAID0 is only particularly risky with HDDs or with firmware/software based RAID. Most SSDs are basically in RAID0 anyway - you have a central controller writing to multiple NANDs simultaneously. The only difference is a SSD controller can keep track of which cells to write to, whereas a RAID controller will evenly split the data between each drive.

6. Michael Lang

Michael Lang Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim Liquid x4090
    MSI has a product similar for years the M.2 xpander aero that uses up to 4 M.2's for 12000MBs. They also just updated it to PCI-e 4 included with the new creator x299 board. It also looks like a mid range graphics card.

7. maxtraxv3

maxtraxv3 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8G
    geez i hope no one looks up the speed of sata 3 in 2014. (its 6GB/s)

8. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Hey, do we wait for the AIB models with custom cooling now?
    Because, you know, 98% or so of us here spent extra time to go wait for AIB video boards, spent extra money on them (sometimes), so we can have a quiet fan(s) on them, and good temps.
    Now we're supposed to run out and buy what we're missing, so we can then buy Gigabyte earmuffs, for the noise the drum fan will make, right?
    Okay okay, sarcasm mode off... but it's still a nice-looking product that could prove useful for some. I'd like four fast drives for-sure, but an x8 card with 4x drives in Raid 1 would be more appealing for the content creation I do here. Not that I'd need a whole lot over my existing house-brand no-name NVME drive, to begin with.
    So they narrowed their market with that Raid 0 stuff.
    To be clear from someone who's gone through this. The chance you take of when the power goes out and you don't have a UPS system (if you don't), is more likely the chance of your drive corrupting the file allocation table bitmap. Similar things can happen and your drive can 'forget' it's part of a RAID array. Had both things happen due to power loss on drives that were supposed to be 'power loss protected' fail-safe drives, in a Raid 10.

No thanks. Just stick to ONE drive and back it up with incremental images.

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Everything you just said makes no sense.... Hardware failure happens at any level whether raid is involved or not. And what you're speaking of is exactly the same thing just with an additional controller/hardware. Raid 0 is worth it when performance is in question. I've been using it on my solid state drives since before trim support and windows 7.

Either way this is about speed and not redundancy....

10. dcGColts

dcGColts New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 GamOC
    Wouldn't this cause gpu to run in 8x mode so how would it be good for gaming PC? And if you think 8x is no biggie remember the faster the memory on the gpu the more significant the difference(reminds me of people still thinking single channel memory is ok when the faster the memory the big the difference so ddr2/3 basically no diff but ddr4 huge difference especially 4000mhz+) so like a 2080ti would lose quite a bit of performance running in 8x. People often stuck in the past on such things.

11. Memphist0

Memphist0 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 ti
    SATA is 6 Gbs or gigabits. This is 6 gigabytes. 8 times faster. It's the difference between little b or big B

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its 6Gb/s, x8 difference.
    post above got there first.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends on the motherboard whether it has enough PCIe x8 or x16 slots, most gaming mobos yes it will put the gfx card at x8.

PCIe speed doesnt cause gfx memory performance to retard.
    It only affects how fast data can get from disk or system ram to gfx ram.
    Game load times might be a little slower.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    and if you use a 5500 xt .... it is already running on either 8x PCIe 3 or 8xPCIe 4 .....so say in a X570 or b450 chipset ... you literally loose nothing combining it with such card ... now how well the 5500xt run on pcie 3 .... comparing to 4....and why someone with such video card will opt for such ssd ... thats a whole other matter :p