Gigabyte 6600GT - Passive or not

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by redmanc, Mar 14, 2006.

1. redmanc

redmanc Member

GPU:
    MSI 512mb 7900GTO
    I'm finally throwing my FX5200 in the bin and looking at getting a 6600GT card (best for the budget)

I like the look of the Gigabyte 128mb 6600GT, which had good reviews, but i can get the fan or passive card for the same money.

Which is best??

2. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    active always provides, even if marginal, better cooling, but passive is right for you if the current drone of your computer is a bit much. If you've got 3 or more case fans putting out a lot of noise, the passive should be alright. just make sure it fits. Myself, I would never get a passively cooled card in this day and age. 6600GT's run pretty hot to.

Temps down = fan
    Less noise = passive

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd go for the passive one. They come with a huge heatsink (compared to those of fanned ones from gigabyte). And if the temps go up, u can always stick a fan onto that heatsink.

The Gigabyte 6600gt is a really great card. I used to have one, with Zalman VF700cu fitted on it, and oced it to 603/1150 and scored 9803 in 3dmark03 with it. Trully great, possibly the best 6600gt out there and one of my favourite cards of all time!

4. redmanc

redmanc Member

GPU:
    MSI 512mb 7900GTO
    I'm no expert on this , but does this need an extra cooler, i have no plans at this time to overclock, so would the fan or passive be sufficient.

If i do need a fan, i only have one power cable free in my box, is it powered by a normal 4 pin power lead or is there one on the motherboard. Which leads me on does the Graphics card itself need to be powered.

Thanks in advance , all help is much appreciated.

5. -=Fallscrim=-

-=Fallscrim=- Member Guru

GPU:
    3D Fuzion 7600GT@610/1620
    Is your Mobo AGP or PCI-e?

The AGP card from Gigabyte is entirely passively cooled, and as far as i know, requires an extra power (molex) connector.

The PCI-e version doesn't need any extra power connectors, and comes with a totally silent fan that attaches to a bracket underneath the card. I have one of these and it works incredibly well as part of my SLi setup.

Both come overclocked from the factory, and will take a bit more gentle OCing without need for forced cooling (i.e. fan)

Essentially, the passive cards are just as effective as their forced cousins (if not more cos they come with quite a significant OC over standard) and will perform just as well right up until the point when you try some serious OCing.

In short, they would be perfect for your needs from what you say.

One thing though, make sure your case is well cooled in order to shift the extra heat a passive card creates in your case. I would recommend at least two case fans at the rear to see the best from your card.

6. TheGamer

TheGamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 @
    pect that remains to be seen is the ambience temp of your case ...... if it is a bit towards the high then i'd strongly recommend one with a fan ..... because 6600gts generally tend to run hotter .... don't worry about noise because the fan is very silent and quite efficient .....

7. redmanc

redmanc Member

GPU:
    MSI 512mb 7900GTO
    My card is AGP. I don't have any other fans etc on the board, and my case temp is 25oC. I'm leaning towards the passive as its faster by 110mhz. Like i say, just worried of it overheating.

8. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I would recommend against the passive cooling unless you are REALLY concerned about noise. The 6600's run pretty hot! :)

Also the passive cooler will require some type of air flow in the case to keep the temps in check. If you don't have any fans moving air inside the case, you will probably experience over-heating issues. - Just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  9. redmanc

redmanc Member

GPU:
    MSI 512mb 7900GTO
    Thanks for that advice, from that i may well go for the fan version, although eclap's recommendation for a Zalman fan with a passive card, would that not work or would i still need to get case fans as well as a VGA fan.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  10. Scythe224

Scythe224 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY xLr8 470 stock
    hey i am selling my EVGA 6600 GT if you are interested

11. redmanc

redmanc Member

GPU:
    MSI 512mb 7900GTO
    Thanks for the offer, but i'd rather buy new. I sort of know what its done then !

12. Rama72

Rama72 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP
    I've got the AGP passive version, and overheating has never been a problem here. Not even when I overclocked. Great little card!

13. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    I had a gigbyte 6600GT PCI-E. A really great card, but the dang thing ran hotter then ****! If you get one, make sure you also get a Vf700-CU cooler for the thing! My temps with hte stock cooler on the 66GT were 60C idel and 80C load! With the VF700-Cu cooler idel temps knocked down to 55C and load to 60C, in mid summer.

I sold my old 66GT for a very very good bargin price to a friend of mine and he is currently really enjoying it.

14. shravan

shravan Master Guru

GPU:
    BIG 6600GT@580/1200 on 29" TV
    Get the passive card as it has an enhanced memory clock right out of the box. As for fears of overheating, u can always buy an 80mm case fan for a pittance & fix it over the heatsink.

15. Ayune

Ayune Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT 256mb (AGP)
    Active cooling always more trusty for me.

16. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I have a Gigabyte 6800 128MB with passive cooling. I add a case fan to the card, it helped to drop the temps about 5c. Idle i get around 43-45c, after 1h playing i get 57-59c. It's overclocked 385/900 and fully unlocked 16x6.

17. shravan

shravan Master Guru

GPU:
    BIG 6600GT@580/1200 on 29" TV
    I guess u have a Leadtek or Albatron card??? Anyways, that's a kick ass memory overclock u have mate!!! How much do u get in 3DMark05 & 06?

18. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    Mind that 6800's don't run as hot as 6600's.
    I'd still go for the passive cooling though, as your case temp seems to be fine, if there is good airflow there's nothing to worry about.

19. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Nop, it's a Gigabyte http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...w.aspx?ProductID=1198&ProductName=GV-N68128DH
    3D Mark 2005 gives me around 4400, i think.. im at work now, but later at home i can tell you. 3D Mark 2006.. not tried yet. ahh 3D Mark 2003 gives me around 11900.

20. Shaman391

Shaman391 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 66GT 128mb@600/1320 1.6ns
    Passive is the way to go... (my giga has passive cooling)
    All u have to do is to mount a 80mm or 120mm fan on this HUGE heatsink and you'll get great temps and higher oc.