Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 9, 2010.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Uninstalling 1.2 and re-installing the new one won't work, old 1.2 file updated several shaders which naturally get removed if you uninstall that patch thus breaking the game if those aren't available, this new patch only alters the simple.bin shader file by reverting it to the version from 1.1 (From what I could tell at least.) but does not include the shader files so they're not touched.
    (It does include all other files from patch 1.2 though but updated further.)

(I posted the 1.1 shader files earlier since 1.2 downgraded the visual quality of several of them a bit in order to increase performance.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Damn, and there was me thinking (hoping) it was related to certain setups.

Will probably leave it a few months as I never play games when they are first out anyway, god knows why I waste money buying them on release day, something I need to stop doing.

As for Ubisoft, the difference between then and now is that back then it was Ubisoft Montreal who did most of the stuff, while nowadays a lot of their less important IP’s are off loaded to the smaller Eastern European divisions in Romania or Ukraine.

These guys are also assigned the job of porting most stuff to the PC as well, but thankfully Montreal look to be doing the PC work for AC3 and FC3 instead.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I think there's some kind of conflict myself as v1.2 of the game appears to work OK with 1920x1200 visuals and movement on both the keyboard and controller but only if I use my Guest account. I don't recall getting the constant name prompts either on the main menu so it may work because the profile settings are being saved correctly. The game is broken under my Admin account though but since both accounts use the exact same drivers and version of Windows, it follows that something is conflicting with the game that is running on my Admin but not Guest account.

I'm going to disable all my system tray apps tonight and see if I can isolate what it is that is causing it. It could be something like Xpadder (I use it for Mass Effect 3), D3DOverrider or one of the other things that I didn't see running on my Guest account. This might explain why Ubisoft missed it during their testing as they would have undoubtedly ran the game on a fresh or vanilla Windows install.

Will post my findings here later.

4. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    Game looks like a freaking PS2 title at times (plain textures, no normal mapping, no dynamic lighting)

[​IMG]
    (screenshot on middle settings without AO and AA)

Also, is Parallax Mapping a DX11 option? I don't see any big difference with it on/off (my card is DX10 only)

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    According to displacement.shader they use tessellation for it, for the old 1.2 update (Now removed.) it was lowered from 30 samples to 10 but I don't quite know what a sample is, normally tessellation is 64x or some such isn't it?

6. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    So they nerfed the graphics with the updates?

7. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Great vid
    But does the PC version require an XBOX controller??

(I have not ordered the game yet)

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The old 1.2 patch altered around 17 shader files, sometimes smaller tweaks lik separating instructions int multiple passes and other times by removing instructions entirely or in a few rare cases like with displacement it also scaled back the settings lowering quality for performance.

The 1.1 update just to mention it added some new shader techniques and what those might do and this new 1.2 (June 26th) patch does not contain the "nerfed" shaders and instead only alters simple.bin which seems like a record over which shaders to use.
    (I can't see the DX11 shader cache files or what those do but they've been updated a bit as well and some core files likely fixing some of the issues the old 1.2 patch introduced and possibly also unsolved issues after the 1.1 update.)

The problem is that uninstalling patch 1.1 or 1.2 will remove several files that reinstalling 1.1 and new 1.2 will only partially replace thus why unless you prefer to manually back up and extract files a reinstall is preferred so you know everything patched properly and is working as intended.
    (1.1 in order not to be a few GB in size contains patch info which updates some of the larger block archives containing game assets thus why it can take a few minutes to properly install, 1.2 and 1.2 new only patch one single file - simple.bin for some reason - and instead replaces the others with updated variants.)

From what I can tell at least.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I closed down all the system tray apps that weren't running on my Guest account and stopped all non-Microsoft services and this game still does not work with my Admin account - I still cannot move with the keyboard or controller and the graphics look like Wii standard crap. How can the game work with the Guest but not the Admin account when the drivers, etc., are identical? I just don't understand it at all. :3eyes:

I'm going to uninstall then reinstall the game then cancel any patches it attempts to download to see if I can get it to work with v1.0. It crashed the one and only time I started the Campaign in v1.0 but maybe that was just a one-off glitch?

Wish me luck... with this game I think I'll need it!

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The unpatched (v1.0) of the game repeatedly crashes when I start the Campaign or Guerrilla modes so I'm unable to test the controls or even play it. However, I was able to take some screenshots showing the difference in image quality when using the same resolution.

This is what the game looked like straight after I set the resolution and maxed the graphics settings and pressed on the Back button (the screen went black to indicate the resolution had changed):

[​IMG]

As you can see the text looks very blurry and the version number in the top-left corner is virtually unreadable.

This is what the game looks like after I went onto to change *only* the resolution to 1920x1080:

[​IMG]

Apart from looking a little squashed, it still doesn't look as sharp as it should do in the next picture...

This is what the game looked like when I set it back to 1920x1200:

[​IMG]

Now look how crisp and sharp everything looks - the text is not blurred and the version number is completely readable.

Unfortunately, even when the game is patched to v1.1 and v1.2 I still get those results. With the patches I can play the game but the ingame visuals only look as crisp as in the third picture if I use the Guest account (even then it's random and sometimes drops to what looks like 1280x720). With the Admin account the graphics look blurry and upscaled like in the first picture using the settings shown, every time.

Just to be clear... the game loads up looking like image 1 and I have to change the resolution twice in order for it to look like image 3 even though the resolution is the same in image 1 and 3. Image 1 looks as if it is actually 1280x720 or 1280x800 as it looks so blurry and that carries over into the actual game as well.

Exiting to the main menu prompts me to enter my name again so it seems that the profile/settings are not being saved properly. I've tried everything, including uninstalling and reinstalling the game again, but I just cannot get it to work on my Admin account.

It *does* work partially on my Guest account though in that I can use my Xbox 360 controller to move around and actually play it but the graphics resolution still gets messed up. Interestingly though I am NOT prompted to keep entering my name on returning to the main menu with my Guest account.

What the f is happening I do not know but it's annoying to not be able to play the game properly. :(

(Sorry for the image sizes but if anyone objects then I can change them to links instead)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

11. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    In my eyes Ubisoft games are always a case of piss around with them for a week before you get to even play. And even then don't expect to be playing the game you had always hoped for.

Nothing new to see here really.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, unfortunately that is too true, as per earlier i would like to see each game branded with the exact studio responsible, rather than the publisher but that will never happen.

I get the feeling this game was passed to these guys as they are good with next gen PC features, but they probably didn't get the funding or time to make sure everything was good for release.

Ubisoft clearly don't want to spend too much on the PC version and i can't blame them when i look at things from a business stance, but as unpopular as delaying games makes them, they really should delay it until its done, as this is just unacceptable and in any other field people would be legally entitled to a refund.

13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Big time fail boat... just compare the SS to what Ubisoft claims below... I swear I wanted to give them my money but I guess it will goto something now. ARMA 3 looking better and ARMA2 Ghost Recon mod

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I'll reach that area eventually and will try to do a screenshot in the approximately same location, said user has a 4870 and thus the DX11 effects are disabled and overall quality is also scaled down to around a medium settings preset but still I don't imagine my image will look much better, game really does look rather poor in certain areas depending on lighting and other effects. :)

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Very ture, some parts of the game are just stunning maxed out with some great use of effects etc, but other parts are just terrible and look like a poor console game (let alone a poor console port).

Graphically the game is very inconsistent.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I believe the game engine is called Yeti and was part of the Advanced Warfighter console games whereas the PC version from GRIN was done on their own Diesel engine, in any way I'm not sure what Ubisoft has done to the engine but it probably had it's limitations and shortcomings and ehm "slapping on" DX11 and using higher resolution textures and similar probably doesn't fully solve these.

No doubt the team behind this PC version is capable but as above it feels a bit rushed despite the delay (Which probably wasn't just to polish up the PC version but what do I know about these types of things.) still it's not all bad or any such, just a bit buggy and as above inconsistent in how it can look. :)

Gameplay and such is OK, nothing groundbreaking and the AI can be a bit poor but it works although it doesn't quite match up to the earlier Ghost Recon (PC) titles.

17. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Originally Posted by aquanaut -overclock.net

For SLI: Make a profile with the Future Soldier executable in Nvidia Inspector and set 0x000000F5 in SLI compatibility bits (DX1x). Works perfect with my GTX570's.

18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Currently playing through the second mission on veteran and I have to say the game is actually slowly starting to click for me. Something I honestly was not expecting.

http://youtu.be/K85GdRA7-8E

19. Nismo GTR

Nismo GTR Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX690
    It's quite frustrating as what i have played so far has been really good, i really like it. Really like the MP, it feels a bit like Rainbow. Animations and cover system are slick as hell. But performance is horrid for me. I really do hope Ubi get this sorted quickly as i feel the MP could be quite fun but if it's left too long it could die quickly. SP feels very cinematic aswell.

Please UBI get this fixed ASAP

20. OldSnake

OldSnake Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Titan Black SLI
    I can confirm that the game is running perfectly fine at 60 fps if you don´t apply any patches - what is striking me though - my card is getting insanely hot while playing the game.

I am playing Tera and Max Payne 3 at the moment and the card isn´t going any higher than 70C - Ghost Recon is pushing it up to 83C - okay, it is ridiculously hot here atm, so I guess it will be going down to 80C the next days, but still this seems weird somehow.

Are your cards getting so much hotter compared to other games, too ??