Ghetto loud speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by {LSK} Otacon, Aug 15, 2005.

1. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

Well, it was the best adaptor i had, and it seems to be powering it very well. Considering my speakers can only a 150watt load max, i dont really need most of the amps power anyway. And havin the volume set at 3% seems very loud.

2. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    I dont know about all that stuff The new logitech THX Zs kick ass. Clear and sharp sound all the way around the volume dial and no overpowering bass to make it sound crappy.

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i have to agree with the other guy/guys in saying..... yeah. if your system is all subs and tweeters/horns, then it probably sounds like crap. i have a set of the lower end Logitech 5.1 surround speakers that probably sound a lot better than those setups do. midrange is what makes up what your listening to. subs and tweeters/horns only add emphasis to the sound that the Midrange is putting out. our Bose surround sound setup would probably beat the hell out of that. and i don't know about you, but it appears that you'd be quite a few speakers short. and say you do have all those speakers that you say are in the setup.... what's the point of having 30 speakers and 6 subs? at that point it wouldn't even sound like Surround Sound, because all the speakers would drown out every other one, and it's sound like you're sitting in one big speaker. just idiotic if you truely have all that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Alright, I'm going to clear up this mess, hopefully. Speakers in those floor tower speakers are not subwoofers, but they are woofers. They are designed to cover midrange and some bass frequencies. The proper thing to do is to make your cutoff between your woofer and your subwoofer at the right level. When you have good floor speakers, you can make that cuttoff very low and not force your subwoofer to reach up and play frequencies that it really shouldn't be playing. This is something that all computer speakers do, having their woofer play frequencies that a good midrange should handle. That is why with decent sound setups, you get midrange drivers that are larger than the 3" that you typically see with computer speakers.

Also, the best computer speaker set can't hold a candle to a good home theater set. It is hard for people who don't have a good home theater set to realize this, but the sound experience (sound stage) is completely different.

Hopefully I cleared up a bit of confusion.

5. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    I just have to add, I know what u mean that ure leds are not flickering but that doesn't mean that u have enough power :D , at first if I would give you some song with ultra low frequence, ur Led would turn off, and ur dc adaptor would probably burn if there is no protection on it for short circuits.

Also I'm not sure but I think car amplifiers don't have a good SNR, like maybe between 60db or 75db, so a logitech Zseries speakerset with 99db SNR, totaly outmatches the quality.
    Also freq. response on car amps are like lot more focused in the 500HZ range. But dunno I haven't checked for any new car amps and their specs. But I think it would be even easier and lot cheaper to buy like a logitech z speaker set, and modify it and install it in a car. Like the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX Speakers (TM) has lot of power, and so cheap, u can't even buy a single good speaker for the car in that price range, and this set comes with good amp and all, so basicly u just need to convert the power so it's compatible for ur car, and also u won't need expensif Gauge speaker cables since it will run on higher voltage.

6. Allegiance

Allegiance Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Infact the typical cut off frequency from mid to low range is 80Hz. Also they are not called 'woofers' they are called midrange drivers. And a subwoofer will only do what it is designed to do. If the subwoofer manufactures think that its fine going up to 120Hz (Which is the typical value) then the subwoofer will do fine at up to 120Hz and most recievers only let you set the cut off up to the frequency anyway. So its limited. A midrange driver will not cover the 80Hz and below range nearly as well as a subwoofer. A good subwoofer that is.

7. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I suppose we can get nit picky and such. To me, 120Hz is still a directional frequency, so at that level you can definately tell where the sound is coming from, comapred to frequencies such as 60 or 80Hz. Defitnion wise, this is what i'm talking about by a woofer:

Woofer is the term for a loudspeaker driver that is designed to produce low frequency sounds. Typically from around 40 Hertz up to a few hundred Hertz. Nowadays one can find woofers which can pick up sounds as low as 20 Hz (the human ear has a range of 20Hz to 20,000 Hz). Some woofers produce frequencies up to around 1000-2000 Hertz and are usually called mid-woofers.

So yes, I think we've got about everything covered. Hmm, mid-woofer. That is an interesting term. A sylable less than "midrange driver." I think I'll start using it :p

8. hitman475

hitman475 Guest

from now on ill call u DUB Edition

9. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Who are you talking to??? If me, why "DUB Edition?"

10. Allegiance

Allegiance Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Definitive Technology have subwoofers that will go down to 11Hz. http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/subwoofers/subwoofers.html#scuberef

:D

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    1800 Watts?

lol thats a lot of power

The reason subs like that go so low is i think just so you can tell there is something there - even though you can feel it

There's a company called Peerless who make a set up that has a resonant frequency of 10 hz. Thats a driver and a passive radiator

[​IMG]

IMO though, having such a hugely powerful bass end to your system could overwhelme it (unless it was very carefully set up/matched)

12. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

Those are nice speakers there. So you guys know, i know you think my system is all bass. Its not. My amp is also running those 2 Klipsch surround speakers and that one 12 inch sub. I have the amp set so that it gives out full power, not just bass. And actully, my bass isnt loud compared to the screaming rock that blows through my speakers. But if i want it to my bass can get pretty loud, enough to shake my house then some. But also, i do not have anything else to use, this is the best i have. Some updated pics...........[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  13. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    cool - nice looking system

i kinda want a sub but i also kinda dont lol

I use Mordaunt Short 902 Signatures and a Cambridge Audio A5 but i odnt wanna spend the money for a sub then find it ruins the balance of it all.

Also my parents would be telling me to turn it down all the time anyway ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    SUbs that go down that low would produce audible signals. MEaning you wouldn't be able to hear them..but you would probably feel them. Use whatever works for you. If it sound good then great. Good bass is awsome but if it's not in proportion and drowns out the rest of the frequency response then it's no good. Looks pretty cool though. My sub isn't very big..but I never turn it over 2..in the apt. But it sounds pretty good. Then again I dial in the system pretty good though.

15. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    hey, nice NFSU2 poster... :) :D

16. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

Thanks, got it out of the stratigy guide

17. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    U bought the strategy guide?

18. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    No he went to a local store and ripped it out.

19. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

lol, no, actually it was my mom who got it without me knowing. It really isnt very helpfull anyway