GF4 and cs probs (the meeting place)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Penfold, Feb 5, 2003.

1. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    Albatron Ti4200-P Turbo (305/700MHz)
    Sure, why not? I mean we have a lot of people with this problem and I am thinking it must be the hardware. If you do get the chance to contact Nvidia, be sure to show them this forum. See if they have time to read all 94 pages! :p

EDIT: ...95 pages! :p

2. alebaba

alebaba Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 gt with t240hd 24
    um hf = 99 fps, you cant go any higher due to the hf engine

with developer 1, it just show you how high your fps can be

For example if u get 400 fps with developer 1 , your not actually getting 400 in cs

3. Suren27

Suren27 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce4 Ti4400
    developer 1 slows you down anyways ;-/

4. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    Developer 1 slows you down? How is that?

I recently turned on Developer 1 and set fps_max to 300. The highest I've gotten was 203.7. With developer 1, i rarely dip under 100. But then I read that developer 1 shows how high your fps can go and not what it actually is. :(

But, I think I will keep developer 1 because first of all, it makes my computer look cool! Over 100FPS on an old computer! And also because I feel no difference between developer 1 and 0. If I can't notice anything, why not just put it on to make me happier!

Any of you have anything to say about developer 1?

5. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    developer 1 is indeed slowing you down ,it is not meant to be used in competitive gameplay,but its for testing maps for developers ,map makers ,a person who has fps_max 100 will run FASTER than you do ,although everything feels smoother.

6. MaLeVoLeNT

MaLeVoLeNT Guest

i cant believe this thread is still going, wow
    i fixed it but i have upgraded to a GF FX 5950 ultra but my old computer is used in my second house about a couple months a year and its a Ti 4400 which does give decent fps
    but i must say for a 5950 ultra this thing gives **** frame rates, ill try developer off but i mean we are talking like dropping from 125 constant(vsync on) to 60-70, the only solution i see is to dropped my much beloved nvidia and go for RADEON from now on.

7. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    wow

set the renderer to OpenGL

then in the console type fps_max 800

in the drivers turn off verticle snyc

and your set

I have seen people get 300+ fps in CS so yes you can pull off over 100

8. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    darknight, I am already doing what you suggested. In the main menu of CS, I can achieve about 450-500 fps (fps_max is 500). Won't go over 500 though. In the game, it goes 85-200. But really it would be 85-100.

Even though it slows me down, I still keep developer 1 on because it is cool. I can't notice a slowdown with it, so might as well keep it.

9. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    people counter-strike is 5 years old find a new game..sorry dont mean to flame but come on the cs days are over move on

10. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    [Mudd],
    I have a present for you: :finger:

Lol, just kidding. I started to play CS a year ago. I mean the people working for steam try to update CS to be a modern game. But really, they are making it worse (with their bad updates). I agree with you in a way. I just play CS for fun though, I hate those people who take it seriously! Like a few days ago, I found these two guys fighting over the mic about a kill that was stolen. I mean what can they do argue for like 2 hours? What's done is done.

Hmmm.... New games, well don't expect me to play modern games on my 4 year old computer. Will be turning 5 next February! Don't worry though, my brother who lives in the same house as me has a modern computer!

One modern game I expect to play is "The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth".

11. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    if you like cs alot a good modern that is a mmo is a game called planet-side

12. MaLeVoLeNT

MaLeVoLeNT Guest

we shouldnt be forced to "go to another game because its old" these graphics cards should be able to cut cs in half but these ****ty frame rates
    im telling you its nvidia in general, they can suck a fat cock, im going with radeon next card.

13. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    Well, my brother was deciding between a FX5900XT and a 9800 Pro. We both decided 9800 Pro would be better. But I told him not to betray nVidia! I guess he will wait for the next price drop on the 6800GT.

14. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    Whats the point of 500fps cmon!!! I doubt anybody in the world has a monitor that is capable of 500hz refresh rate.... and besides, the game runs fine and at 100fps on a geforce 2 mx 200 pci hitting 500 fps is nothing on newer cards

15. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC

my old g4 ti 4600 cuts cs in half.,and coming from a guy that has owend both ati and nvidia you will be making a big mistake going to ati trust me

16. Lothelatram

Lothelatram Guest

100 FPS

ok ppl.
    This is my computer:
    Athlon XP 2000+
    512 DDRAM/266 Mhz
    GF4 TI 4200 128 MB Ram
    Asus A7V8X (VIA KT400)
    Windows XP Prof SP1
    44.03 Drivers

And no 100 fps =(

My friend have a worser computer as me and he's got 100 fps.
    hes got a amd athlon xp 1500+ and gf2 ti and 256 mb ddram 266 mhz and epox 8kha+ with via kt 266.

everything on his computer is worser than at my computer and i haven't got 100 fps.

ive tried anything !
    cfg settings.
    other dll's in /gldrv (opengl32.dll,3dfxgl.dll,nvoglnt.dll)(think the opengl32.dll is the best because its smoother,but 3dfxgl.dll for more fps but only a few)
    different OS (Tried Win XP Prof,WIN2k3 Enterprise Ed.)
    Different Drivers (44.03,45.23,52.14,52.16,53.03,56.72,60.72,61.11,61.12,61.71,OMEGA 14403,14523a,15303 [ a lot or not?!])
    to overclock my GPU and CPU
    Different BIOS settings and GPU settings.
    and a lot of OS settings !

ive got a 17° monitor with 85 khz.and i think the Khz hasent to do something with the CS fps because a friend got a 15° monitor with 60 khz and he has got 100 fps !(hes got win2k prof,amd athlon xp 2500+ [barton] 512 ddram @ 266 mhz i think,gf2 ti,asus a7v8x with via kt400 [same as me])

do u think it's because Win XP (because win2k3 enterpirse ed. is the server version of xp) that ive got not 100 fps ?
    my friend with the worser coumputer than me got win2k too !
    i dont know what drivers they got =/

What AGP Szie should i set in BIOS ? now ive got 32 mb in bios.should i set it higher ?

i think the 44.03 has the best performance and i can play it very smoothly ! and u dont feel more than 100 fps in counter strike so its whether if u got more than 100 !.

so what do u think ?

should i install WIN2k and ask my friends which drivers they use ?
    Thanks a lot 4 ur help and excause me for my very bad english !

17. MaLeVoLeNT

MaLeVoLeNT Guest

im making a mistake by switching? my mom got a new comp, 3.4 + 9800 pro. with developer on i can pull upwards of 400-500 even in fights the thing has 200 fps, never below. so i can fps_max 200 and booyah im 200 fps constant. now take nvidias same lets call it generation of card, the generation now being the best 5950 ultra and the 9800 pro and the next generation being the 6800GT and the X800. so with THIS generation my 5950 ultra vs my moms 9800 pro, ati wins, 200fps constant > 125 fps dropping to 70-80 GG!

18. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    Lothelatram,
    Did you turn V-sync off? I also agree on the 44.03, I also think they are the best. AGP Aperture size should be less than 256. What sizes can you get? If you can, get 256. If there is no 256, get lower. I don't know what else to say. Sorry I can't be much help.

PS~ Your english is fine. Don't worry. ;)

19. Lothelatram

Lothelatram Guest

100 FPS

yeah i turned V-sync off.
    I will set the AGP Size to 256 if i can.
    Thx a lot for your help :)
    I will install now Windows 2000 will see if it better !
    And i'm going to update my BIOS now.
    I hope it will be better =/
    I will post my resualts

=)

20. vwR32

vwR32 Member Guru

GPU:
    Lothelatram,
    Check this out for better results:

http://www.csbanana.com/csb_page.banana?page=158#intro

First page is all you need (the rest don't improve graphics, just sound, mic, etc.). Also check out page 6 for Connection Tweaks.

I did the best performance tweakings and got about 5 more fps. It was a stupid waste of time in my opinion. At first, I did everything to the lowest (for absolute best performance) and got trouble. This statement will save you hours of hard work! Don't use these settings:

gl_picmip 4 (use gl_picmip 2)
    gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_nearest (use gl_texturemode gl_linear_mipmap_nearest)
    gl_maxsize 8-256 (use gl_maxsize 256 or 512)

I did every performance tweak and when I loaded up CS, it crashed! I HAD TO GO BACK TO TEST EVERY COMMAND!! Reinstall CS, test, test, crash, reinstall, test, test, test, crash, etc. Hours and hours just for a 5 fps increase. In the end, I just used the default settings to stay away from trouble.

Those commands above I had trouble with. If you want, you can go through the whole list (and avoid the ones I mentioned).

Also, what resolution size do you use? How many bits? I use 640x480 at 16Bit. You will have to get used to low resolution. Use 16Bit rather than 32Bit, you will not notice anything.

Here are the 3 top resolutions:
    1024x768 - Average Performance, Great Graphics
    800x600 - Good Performance, Good Graphics, Very excellent choice for many (I'd recommend this for you)
    640x480 - Great Performance, Average Graphics, Better Recoil (in my opinion), Harder to see far away

Hmmm..... that's all I can think of now. Hope this helps a bit.