GF100 Rocket Sled Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Dictator93, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Ok how's this as your game?

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/10851816/Farming-Simulator-2009/Product.html

For me it comes down 2 the price diff over fps increase. If it beats the 5870 by a good 10-20fps and costs a 100 quid more I will be tempted otherwise perhaps not...

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I would be very surprised if it didn't beat the 5870. I think everyone would be surprised. If that actual happens, nVidia will be screwed.

The actual issue is that it is terribly late, likely to cost an arm and a leg, and without any performance numbers, it seems likely that it is not performing as fast as they would hope. Probably still faster than a 5870, but not enough to warrant the ridiculous wait and the undoubtedly higher price (compared to a 5870). It's going to come down to the 5 Series being much better value I expect.

And while I did find the complexity of the demo rather impressive, I don't give a **** what it can do in terms of PhysX and number crunching. First and foremost, I want a graphics card, not another CPU. And if they can't deliver there (which is likely, since they have been throwing so much weight behind everything except graphics), then it will be failure.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I don't need to sim farming, it's in my blood lol. Anyway, yes, if fps difference is big enough it will be worth it. I'll probably need a new power-supply so I have factored that in. I didn't intend to be an early adopter though, so depends how new games perform.

4. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well there ya go, the demo was only running 1 fermi card, not 3. And it looks like it's running at a pretty high FPS when it's not displaying wireframe and all that other crap.

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Ii think most people feel it will be faster then the 5870, but no clue how much, and no clue how much more it will cost.
    Given NV track record they do charge way to much vs the gains you get.
    GTX260 vs 280 price gap was huge for 5-10fps alot of times.

The good thing with it finaly comming out is ATI will drop there price, and then NV will have to as well at some point.
    This will be a win win for both camps consumers, and thats what makes me happy.
    If one card can run tripple screan , then I am sold, I will try and hold off on the refresh if at all posible, the only DX11 game I realy want to play is AVP, so I would like to have a card for when I buy the game.

7. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    ^atm you need SLI to run 3 screens, looks like its something Nvidia have just included in their drivers to counter Eyefinity. Good bit tho is 200 series cards will be about to run 3 screens in SLI as well.

EDIT:- Heres the bit I read

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    It looks more convincing now, i guess.

9. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    hahaha call me a fanboy but after watching the demo with no crash at the end, I gotta say... I want that game to ship with the card xD

Also feels good to have guessed right about the SLi thing :)

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    :rolleyes:
    what a noob fanboy you turnout to be :p

and if it has a higher price tag than 400€ its a fail from the start..

i never want to spend more than 300€ on a gpu, i made a mistake when i bought my 8800gts 320mb for 320€, not again..

11. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    Could someone who speaks French take a look at the original text of this and see if it's translated correctly.

Doesn't look too promising if it is.

12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I don't want to translate it all, but the last couple of lines say that the GF100 is on par with the performance of the 5870 and not the 5970. It also says that it operates at the PCI-E specs of 300 watts and to outperform the 5870 would have to be overcloked and therefore exceed the PCI-E specs.

The SLI part refers to special cases with special ducting to cool down SLI fermi configurations.

13. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    That's pretty much what the google translation managed to convey. If it's true this is gonna be one big disappointment.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

So what if fermi isn't more powerful than 5970? This freaking card is 700$ CND lol.

15. exzeth

exzeth Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    Who'd think the GF100 would be faster then the 5970 anyway?? It's a dual GPU last I checked, right? Also wasn't the first card ATI released on this architecture.

As long as the GF100 is around $400-500, I'll get one.

Spent nearly $700 on my 8800GTX 5 years ago...

When's the last time anyone ever did that? :)

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    That article says its no more powerful then a 5870.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I read in french the link provided by Era and it pretty much says that SLI will only be possible in special certified cases, capable of dissipating a lot of heat, because of the fact that Fermi has a maximum consumption of 300W!!! The source was an engineer of Cooler Master. It also says that in terms of performance it will be on par with the 5870 because of low clocks in order to comply with the maximum power provided by an PCI 2.0.
    I find hard to believe in this story because so far most sites reported that the high end Fermi would consume an maximum of 225W and in terms of performance, everybody is talking about 20 to 40% of higher performance in relation to the 5870. Even the guys at ATI are expecting Fermi to outperform their cards, but not for much difference.

But if that french site is correct, then Fermi will be an EPIC FAIL!!!

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
  19. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Why can't someone just have told us that weeks ago, when everyone was hanging out for them... nvidia broke my heart :'(

20. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X