GF100 Rocket Sled Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Dictator93, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    You either misunderstood that, or didn't understand at all...
    Does that sled/train/thing seem safe to you ? :p

2. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I thought it wasn't too bad for a tech demo. Most of the tech demo's over the years have been pretty boring as they are just designed to showcase different graphics features. The volumetric smoke and physics effects are a lot more impressive than what has been shown in the past.

I definitely wouldn't get on that rocket sled though! ;)

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    wooosh!

4. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI

5. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Wooosh indeed.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    its still a fail. Even those dx10 tech videos looked better than this crap, not to mention dx9 ones and what now 3 years old..

7. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    DX10 and DX9 tech demos were just showcasing graphics...
    This tech demo needs to be in goddamned wireframe mode to impress. Did you not see the sheer number of cogs in that engine. Now imagine all the calculations need to simulate that. The friction on the touching parts of the cogs, the resultant force on each object in that engine, and this was all done in real time.

Someone in the thread mentioned Pixar, it definitely reminds me of Toy Story, the guy on the sled looks a bit likw Woody. :p

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    meh

They should make a life like character with physics effects in cloth and hair and a whole scene like in debut game trailers, not this moving parts in the engine sheit i couldn't care less about it (and they use physx2 or something still same crap as before)... yea its interactive and its suppose to have numerous calculations but so what that doesn't prove allot or its capabilities its just some lame code and phsyx glued on it... and it crashed at the end lol, even that froggy demo that uses geometry shaders was more convincing that this or Ati's Rubi..

9. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    Some people have made claims that Fermi will be much faster than the 5870 and yet show no proof... We call these people Nvidia Employees. I do find the things that nvidia say to be very interesting. Things like 3 Fermi's wont work in SLI without thermal issues and then showing 3 Fermi’s in SLI. I'm sorry that this makes me think fail but when I company says don't do X, then they do X, I think that’s some sort of fail. Communication fail, logic fail, honesty fail, take your pick..

It would seem that many people feel that this Demo has Failed to show us what Fermi can do. I would happily eat a piece of humble pie if Fermi ends up being 20-40% faster than the 5870. Remember that Nvidia also said that there would be 512 cores but then that changed too. Does this mean we will get less performance? No one knows… What we do know is that we have seen some doggy demo that contradicts what nvidia has previously told us about Fermi and Tri SLI.

There is a lot of mystery and controversy surrounding this upcoming card. I think what’s really innovative here, is the way that nvidia is spinning this card without providing numbers…Hence the skepticism.. You do recall reading how Nvidia faked Fermi boards at a GPU Technology Conference? This is a discussion, none of knows all the facts but we can discuss what we do know and what we think…. No need to get angry or take things too personally.

10. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    3 Fermi's won't work in SLi without temperature issues. Did you think that if you stuck an LN2 pot in there they would still have temperature issues ?
    Those cards could have been watercooled, hell they probably are judging from the pictures.

nVidia lowered the SP count on the TESLA unit, nothing confirmed on the GeForce side. Are YOU going to buy a TESLA unit ? Did they ever say with certainty that the TESLA unit would have 512 SPs ? No. The white paper simply said up to 512 Cuda Cores.

For the record, I'm not saying Fermi is faster than anything. I'm just stating fact and trying to widen some points of view here.

I got annoyed because your post was;
    A). Useless, uninformative and childish.
    B). Devoid of statements backed with any kind of evidence.
    C). Extremely shortsighted.

Edit:
    One last thing, who told you those three cards are GeForce ?

11. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE

12. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    I got annoyed because your post was;
    A). Useless, uninformative and childish.
    B). Devoid of statements backed with any kind of evidence.
    C). Extremely shortsighted.

Edit:
    One last thing, who told you those three cards are GeForce ?[/QUOTE]

A) Your posts seem more like fan boy personal attacks, than a rebuttal with facts. You haven’t even bothered to check it out for yourself. It seems like it’s news to you that nvidia has publicly stated that there are thermal issues with tri Sli and Fermi.

B) Must I give evidence for common knowledge if you read the posts, you will see GHostXL backed my tri Sli statement. I don’t see you yelling at him

C) Yes shortsighted is generally when people refuse to take accept new ideas or points of few. You really wont even consider that nvidia did say there was a problem with Tri-Sli and Fermi? You don’t think they would look into solutions for that problem before making a public statement?

Your edit makes no sense are we still on the same page here? Can we all watch the video in question and agree that’s what we are talking about? Why must I prove what was said in the video too?

13. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    nVidia claims there are thermal issues with Tri-SLi Fermi, the cards are watercooled. I don't see the flaw in my logic at all. I'm just commenting on your 'F A I L's

Can't answer any other questions you might have asked, your posts are very damn hard to understand. As far as I can see you're claiming I am denying something to do with Tri-SLi which makes me short sighted.

Yes I did watch the video, when did he specifically say he was certain it was a GeForce card ? The demo looks like Quadro work to me

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The GF100 is the internal name for the new GeForce cards, Quadro and Tesla cards are coming at later days. Fermi is the name given to the basic chip architecture, this CES preview was for GF100 based cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMSC2iUAa28

At 1:50.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    They also said they may use a different cooler because of the problems with Tri SLI , they said single and SLI would be fine.

Most of the stuff people are crying about is just so they can justify buying the 5870, fans of Nvidia could care less what you have or dont have, I know I never go to ATI forums and say any thing about your cards or lack of over the past 12 years.
    I wish I could say the same, about ATI fans who always jump into any Nvida thread to try and put them down in some way, half of you are now ignored thanks 3dguru for that option.

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its called being a PC fan. You see I have almost two identical PC, the one in my specs and another with a 8800GTX and 4 gigs of RAM.

Ignoring people because of this, good God, you can't take banter and speculation.

boo hoo

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'd have to agree with MAD-OGRE. If I do comment on Ati I try to be positive unless it's about drivers in which case I'll jump on that band-wagon anyday if it gets Ati making better drivers for you guys.

As for Nvidia, I have full confidence in them. If theres anyone doubting Nvidia's card vs 5870 then lets make a bet. I'm betting that using Guru's current review benchmarks system that the first consumer fermi card will win most of the benchmarks vs Ati 5870. I'm offering one £30 steam game per bet and I'm willing to take the bet from 3 people. If I win, you buy me a £30 steam game per bet instead. Come on, any takers? :)

18. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    If high end Fermi doesn't outperform 5870 I'm going to get seriously angry. Long wait and no prize. It'll be 2900XT all over again

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I'll take your bet! On one condition you agree that it will beat the 5870 but will cost £100 more :)

(at a guess).

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, all we need is the benchmarks for this bet :)

But, I agree it's likely to cost more. I'm expecting a price of around £400-450.

You're on though. Can I have my game now? :p