GF100 Rocket Sled Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Dictator93, Jan 8, 2010.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    what a retarded video, smoke was ok but rest pos + that phsyx nonsense :bang:

And they need 3gpus to run it smooth? lol FAIL. That's like 6-7 285gtx..

2. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    There was no fps counter, they could have been running it at 300fps for all you know.

3. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Such a heated discussion over a demo....wonder why that would be.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    No offense but I wonder if it was ATI showing off a demo like this would you guys still get pissed off at it.

But seriously note you guys need to take a step back and realize your steaming over video card hardware. I understand if it was a job that let you go or someone left you. But its hardware it not like your gonna die if it isnt ready or see results you dont like. KCjoker alot of them woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decide to have a go at each other instead of drinking that cup of coffee.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I liked it. It's like something Pixar or Disney would do, but, folks...it's real-time!

Ah-well. Can't impress every generation. I do realise there comes a point when we do need bigger jumps in processing power to see more clearly the benefits.

Each little bit of info so far does give us clues;

1. Working fermi silicon.
    2. DX11 working including tesselation.
    3. Unfinished drivers, w.i.p. please wait as clock-speeds aren't final either.
    4. Video player software integration.
    5. Similar power-requirements to GTX285.
    6. Devs should have (e.g. Crytek, Rebellion) or should be receiving their cards soon.
    7. Demo is only 1 of at least 2-3 judging by Nvidia's demo history. Theres more coming.
    8. Triple-sli being worked on (more).

6. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I agree. But this was with 3 of their flagship cards. It gives us no clue as to how well it'll perform, as I'd imagine that IF ATI cards ran PhysX as well, 3x 5870 could have pulled off the same thing.

7. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Yes, it was with 3 flagship models, but, this demo was to show the raw physics computational power, not how well it can play a game. Also, it was a simple test designed in house, most likely very hurried, with no time for testing and optimising.

It was a working physical engine in real time. Not a barrel falling onto a sheet. They were actually calculating every working component in the engine, and if that doesn't show raw power, I don't know what does.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I also think it's funny that everyone's assuming that just because the gaming grade cards may be in production now, that those are the cards that they HAVE to be using in the system. He does say "BASED" on the Fermi architecture. For all we know this could still be mostly the Quadro equivalent.

And like everyone said.... nobody hinted at the idea that 3 cards were REQUIRED for the tech demo. Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe they used three cards just so it would be running as fast as technically possible? Would you be impressed if you were looking at a tech demo for a brand spankin new type of card that's not even released yet, and a tech demo they designed for it had to be tweaked down, or runs choppy at parts? i sure as hell wouldn't.... and i'm pretty sure the people who probably had to pay quite a nice chunk of change to get into CES wouldn't be too pleased, either.

On to the temperature issue..... i may be mistaken, but the mesh spots on the top of the case..... they seem a little TOO black in the middle for it just to be a fan in the top. I'm assuming it more than likely is water cooled with all the hardware inside the case.

As for everyone saying that the tech demo looks rather blah...... it's a TECH DEMO. it's not the next latest and greatest game. It's also not a "Benchmark" of the typical sorts that's primary function is to increase the size of one's e-pen*s, while simultaneously draining one's bank account. It's just to demonstrate how well a certain piece of hardware can perform a certain action. And if you ask me.... having all of that stuff done completely in PhysX.... that's freakin nice.

Omagana: No... i think he's about right. he made "points of observation" about something we have no idea of the technical details of. Downplaying the fact that three Fermi-based cards probably aren't needed just because of the fact that the system they used to show off the tech demo happened to have three such cards in it. Apparently seeming to disregard the possibility of water cooling even though (in my observation of the video) it seems water cooling was at least moderately likely. And the worst part is asking for benchmarks long before release. Seriously? Yea.... show EVERYTHING they have to offer 3 months before the cards are due out.... giving ATI (pretty much their ONLY competition) the time to adjust accordingly. Not to mention the fact that even if they DID bench... as we all know, drivers are almost never perfect upon launch (i.e. ATI HD 5k series being the most recent). He really does need to pry his fingers from the "Fail" button.

9. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    These cards have been constantly delayed which normally means one thing-they've run into problems, and judging from this pos demo that could of been easily made 2 yrs ago that's exactly what's happened.

Nvidia are getting left behind big time.

And beta drivers or not of the cards R in mass production they know exactly what's on them , yet they haven't bothered to release it : it's all bollocks and by the time these rev 1 dx cards come out ati will b preping it's no doubt mSsively better rev 2 cards

10. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Everyone here is making observations on a tech demo we know nothing about, thats the point. No one has the right to act as if their opinion is any more valid than others. It's a discussion.

It is NOT however, an excuse to be rude and insult each other - which was the point of my comment to Ieldra.

No idea why part of your rant is aimed at me...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

11. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, i think it sucked....so whatever

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    ati fanboy buhahahahaha

13. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Is this a joke?

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    hahaha me too

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    it was almost as disappointing as the entire nvidia CES showing...almost, between this clip and the fact that after months of B.S they didn't even show how the card performs...

16. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    lol i was thinking the same thing.

17. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    No, no I got annoyed cause the milkman-guy was just acting like a little kid and just kept typing fail without even thinking about what he was typing. I'm sick and tired of people massively overestimating Fermi and saying stupid crap like 'it's twenty times faster than GT200' and others just acting like it's some sort of giant corporate joke.
    Fact of the matter is Fermi is far more interesting than ATi's current lineup, it's innovative, it's new, we don't know how it will perform. The tech demo was running on three cards, they never said it needed three cards, it could be that the three cards were needed for another demonstration. WE DONT KNOW.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The hype surrounding Fermi is a bunch of people who don't know anything and think that 8x DP performance means that Fermi is 8x faster than a GTX285. Regardless, you can't extract anything from this demo because you don't know anything about it. For all you know they could have been running the simulation in CUDA's double precision mode. They could of have been getting like 5billion fps. It could have been a ****ty demo some nvidia intern cooked up at the last minute. It could have been anything.

As for people looking for numbers, you probably won't get any. Nvidia has never shown performance numbers before the launch of their cards.

19. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I learned one thing from this demo.
    nVidia should not get into the transport and rail markets.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Why not? They're just hardware vendors. With the addition of virtual c++ support, a lot more has become possible. There are many ways to utilize that power.