Getting XP-64bit today!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CaPtAiN_InSaNo, Sep 8, 2005.

1. CaPtAiN_InSaNo

CaPtAiN_InSaNo Active Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640/900
    I'm getting windows XP-64 bit today!! Any reccomendations? Such as driver versions?

Here is my system:
    A64 3200 winnie OC@2.4 1:1
    2gb OCZ PC4000
    BFG 6800 GT(first generation with single fan)
    DFI lanpart UT NF3 Ultra-D
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Seagate Baracuda 120 GB SATA
    LG DVD burner(this thing is amazing, it burns absolutely EVERYTHING)

I was thinking of using the Forceware 78.01(64-bit edition obviously) from nvidia's web site, Nfroce 6.56 Beta chipset drivers package, and creative's only 64bit driver. I'm looking for the smoothest running drivers.

Any input would be appreciated. Also does ventrilo work on XP-64bit? And Xfire?

2. binici

binici Member

GPU:
    eVGA 256-A8-N349-AX Geforce 6800GT
    Nice... hope you enjoy your new toy!:D

3. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    One suggestion (unless it has finnally been resolved) do not install nforce firewall software under Win-xp 64 bit. Doing so caused all 32-bit apps to lose network connectivity, that means 32bit browser versions, client software, multiplayer games and such. Otherwise most 32-bit apps should work just fine in XP-64bit.

4. Sh@rK

Sh@rK Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D 6600GT 128 AGP {watercooled}
    XP x64 work great 4 me... 1 thing i don't like about them is that there is no program like alcohol 120% or deamon tools to create virtual drives :(

5. Jimi-101

Jimi-101 Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor X1900 CF Edition
    It's pretty much the same as XP, but it's 64 bit obviously. I've seen no performance improvements over XP. Should save your money and buy something usefull to be honest.

6. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    At the same time you probably haven't seen many or any native 64-bit apps. 64bit support has speed advantages over 32bit in various high-end tasks, and the industry is going to shift to 64bit as the standard sooner or later (more likely within 5yrs or less). It's only the software devs at this point holding things back, as all the major CPU's Devs make 64bit capable cpu's. Apple's/IBM's G5 is 64bit, AMD only manufactures 64bit cpu's now, and Intel, which controls the major OEM's (along with Microsoft ofcourse), will likely phase out non-64bit supporting cpu's in less than 2 years. Vista (almost still called it Longhorn) will likely fuel more 64bit development, and apps supporting Vista64 are definitly gonna run on XP64. So I wouldn't say that XP64bit isn't a waste for those willing to pay for it that have the supporting hardware.

7. Burgurne

Burgurne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980Ti
    That is all right what you wrote, BUT the games don't support nor use the extra power in XP 64bit, so ABSOLUTELY no extra is to expect in XP64 vs XP32 as long as it comes to gaming (with the only except I know about namely the 64bit patch to FarCry to make a SMALL difference).
    For now (in gaming) there are no benefits in WinXP64. I have tried it, but missed a coupple of utilities, so I'm back with WindowsXP SP2 again.

8. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Well certainly if your focus is NOW, then yeah that makes sense, but not much in my previous post really refers to NOW. Having xp64 doesn't adversely affect your 32bit games, and games that are natively written in 64-bit later can potentially be benifited. I certainly wouldn't look at Farcry to determine future 64bit games as it's nothing more than a few new texures with a a 64bit executable. They didn't put any real effort into optimization. Even though there is currently no real benifit neither is there a real hinderance (except for maybe some games where the installer won't install, but there is a work-around for that). As I've said now it's up to the 3rd party software devs to start developing for xp64 or rather 64bit in general.

It's a similar situation with PCI-e, there aren't hardly any add-on cards (yet) other than video, which currently has no advantage over AGP (other than SLI), and maybe some controller cards (what pci-e is really about). It was designed to replace the PCI bus since so many devices would use it's limited bandwidth. A 1Gb NIC would use 125MBs out of the available 132MBs operating at full speed alone. However many a 1x Pci-e lay empty and few if any motherboards even have slots other than 1x and 16x. The bus has a potential that it is not hardly being used for.