Getting to 1920x1200 over VGA

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools' started by colin_e, Sep 13, 2008.

1. colin_e

colin_e New Member

GPU:
    ATI/Radeon x800PE/512Mb
    I have an HP Compaq nx9420 laptop with an Radeon Mobility x1600 graphics card. I also have a Dell 2407WFP 1920x1200 widescreen monitor.

Initially, when I plugged the Dell into the VGA port and set the resolution in Windows display properties, every setting over 1024x768 resulted in a "letterboxed" 1024x768 display, (where the screen scrolls when you hit the edge of the display with the mouse). Updating the display driver fixed this.

I also installed ATI Tray Tools, and set it to make all the screen modes available. However, I still can't get up to the full resolution.

1600x1200 works fine, but anything above this causes the monitor to say "input out of range, set to 1920x1200@60Hz", which is exactly what I HAVE set!

I have read somewhere that the Dell needs a special tweak, something like "reduced flyback time" to enable it to reach the full resolution over VGA.

So, the question is, does the X1600 support this, and will ATT let me get to this setting (and how?!).

Any ideas would be great, because at the moment I have a big widescreen display with two 3" black bands down the sides :-(