Getting this odd glitch with this red line showing up on my monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MrBucket, May 5, 2013.

1. MrBucket

MrBucket Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte 7970 Crossfire
    So I have dual Gigabyte 7970 Windforce X3 OC cards in crossfire (their model number is GV-R797OC-3GD and one is a little over a year old which is a hardware revision 1.0 and the 2 month old one is a revision 2.1) on my Asus Sabertooth X79 with 32gb of ram, bunch of hdd and 3 ssd, xonar essence stx sound card all in a corsair 800d case with very good airflow through the case as well as a corsair h100 cooler in a push/pull setup with some of corsair's high static pressure fans keeping everything running smoothly and cool. having the sp120 fans running at their least aggressive fan profile is able to keep my 3820 running at 4.5ghz nice and cool while being significantly quieter than the 2 stock fans on medium and cooler than them being set on high. but anyway this issue i'm having now is related to the 7970 and the 13.5 beta 2 drivers and running my dell u2711 on a mini display port to full size displayport cable, and also my old dell 2405fpw monitor (was my main monitor until i bought the u2711 and now the 2405fpw is in the place previously occupied by my 2001fp) running with a dual link dvi cable with an adaptor from dl dvi to minidp.

This glitch that I'm experiencing is only showing on my u2711 and only showed up after the catalyst 13.5 beta 2 drivers. It involves only the very left most column of pixels on my u2711 which along with every other lcd i've ever used, is running at its native resolution, which in this case is 2560x1440. Depending on what color is actually supposed to be, it can cause a glitch that forces the color to show up as red. It is not something that shows up in screenshots at all so its further down the line than when the frame is rendered. Because of this I had to take an actual photograph of the screen to show the phenomena.

You can see how the red line of pixels shows up when the color next to it is black, but that towards the top of irfanview, the red pixels disappear.
    [​IMG]

Anyone else ever experienced something like this before? I see those new 13.5 beta 3 drivers are out but it seems they are for mobile only at this point. Will be interesting to see if just a simple driver change fixes it. Never heard of anything like this before and it doesn't seem like theres any other posts on here regarding this glitch. It could be the case that hundreds or thousands of people might have the same issue but just spread out around the whole world, or it could be the case that its pretty much unique to me.

I have planned on reformatting my windows 7 enterprise (legit key) ever since I got my second 7970 but there are just a few things I want to get done before that. One of them is to get 100% on the new Tomb Raider game of which I'm currently at 98% and haven't been trying to rush myself at all in it. Theres just a lot of really odd errors in this current install I'm running that I did when I upgraded from my i7 i950 x58 build to my i7-3820 x79 build I'm currently running. Hopefully the issue will get resolved with that, but if it turns out to be more of a hardware issue with my monitor, I have either 4 or 5 years of warranty on it over the standard one that I got dell to throw in with it.

2. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
    I am having the same issue with the beta driver. I have gone back to the 13.4 WHQL and things are as they should be.

3. MrBucket

MrBucket Member

GPU:
    Oh yeah and another thing is, I moved my rev 1.0 7970 down to be the secondary card at the time it arrived, but I should probably switch them back as its just so so much better with overclocking and changing the voltage to stable it out and allow higher speeds over the rev 2.1 card, to the tune of 200mhz more in some cases :eek:.

Heres a photo of the setup if its of any help with diagnosing a problem.

[​IMG]

So I'm just biding my time until a newer non mobile driver comes out, or if I reformat first. Might want to wait for the driver first so that I'd have it from the very beginning before anything gets messed up in that particular install.

4. MrBucket

MrBucket Member

GPU:
    the 13.6 beta driver seems to have fixed the red line, but now it seems that my u2711 that is running off mini dp fails to wake up after turning my monitors off and the computer having disabled the video output for lack of use for an hour or whatever its set at. the 2405fpw that is using a mini dp to dvi-d adapter wakes up just fine. ive found that turning them on and off usually doesnt work with waking it up, but hitting ctrl+alt+del will bring it back without even having to go to the task manager. odd stuff

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    A few people have mentioned PC not waking from sleep. Me included.

6. MrBucket

MrBucket Member

GPU:
    Does it happen to monitors using dvi as well as minidp?

7. Desde1988

Desde1988 Member

GPU:
    VTX3D/Sapphire 7970 CFX
    I have always had that particular issue with my 7970s connected via DP. Switched to DVI and haven't had it happen since.
    U2711 as well here.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Must do as mine is connected via DVI. It's DVI-A though being a CRT.

9. MrBucket

MrBucket Member

GPU:
    how long ago did you make this setup? for me, the only issues began with the 13.5 beta 2 and now the 13.6 beta. I was running only a single 7970 from last march to this march when I got my second one, and probably halfway through that time period is when I got my u2711 and bumped my 2001fp out of my second monitor position with my 2405fpw taking its place. It worked perfectly since the beginning of march until the 13.5 beta 2 drivers came out and now have had 2 different strange bugs in each version.