Getting NV Profile Inspector to have an effect on games that use Deferred Rendering (Destiny 2)?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Phil Tuncap, Feb 28, 2020.

1. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I spent almost 20 minutes (roughly the equivalent of how much I played with the game in 2018 between purchasing and uninstalling it) to search through my accounts and migrate my Destiny 2 license to Steam just to see for myself this can not be true because I remember using FastSync for pretty much all games back in 2018. I will report back once the download is complete (it's huge!).

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    from my testing its just standard vsync unless you have a gsync monitor.

only way to test ULL is with a high speed camera "feeling tests" don't cut it.

3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    FastSync indeed seems to be overridden to standard V-Sync (judging by the in-game fps counter, lack of judder/stutter/tiering and perceived lag increase at 60Hz).
    G-Sync+V-Sync+LLM:Ultra (my global defaults) seems to work as expected (I obviously can't tell anything about the render ahead queue length but the auto fps cap part is engaged according to the in-game fps counter).
    As for AF: Driver 16x and in-game Off seems to be better than driver application and in-game 16x (this might be placebo though, I couldn't care to figure out how to take screenshots). But with in-game AF kept at Off and driver AF flipped between application and 16x, the difference seems to be obvious (the driver setting seems to be honored).
    And yes, there is plenty of aliasing with no AA and 100% render scale at 1440p. Native 2160p looks nice though (but then I am limited to 60Hz).

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    assuming D2 is just requesting AF from the driver and not running an AF shader in a post process (as has been known to happen lately), the driver setting should just be interjecting the games request and substituting the AF sample count. The in game setting might be applying AF sample optimizations though.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No Fast sync works, I saw it. With it off and forced driver vsync there was noticeable mouse lag.

EDIT: WORKED, Im sure.. But it doesnt anymore..

driver AF still does though, if I forced both, happened one time forgot to disable ingame, it broke it and rendered trilinear. And yeah just ingame AF is worse, less sharp filtering. Similar to GTA5 or Assassins creed, Elder scrolls and few more.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Fast sync should judder in any game it can work with so long as the framerate is less than atleast double the refresh rate, what are you looking at to confirm it?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Mouse lag.

I use 144fps limiter on top, always have.

Newer fast sync versions have almost no jitter, i remember daying light, there it was really bad at first, still kinda is if i dont use any fps limiter.

8. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I used FastSync for almost every game (except where "low latency V-Sync" was a viable alternative) for about 2 years, until I recently graduated to G-Sync Compatible. And I just tried FastSync with Destiny 2. I think I know what I experienced: zero indication of FastSync working (with G-Sync set to "fixed refresh", of course --- although I didn't fully disable G-Sync for the display, just the "technology" in the game profile, so I guess the display was still in G-Sync mode): fps limited exactly at the refresh rate (even though >=2x was possible before), no judder, high lag, etc.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  9. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    the old Print Screen button grants you a screenshot lol...

And wait, yall are saying that driver v-sync options are working...they aren't working for me now. I just updated my driver the other day so I can't recall if they worked for me before or if I couldnt' tell because i had the limiter on. But I tried 1/2 refresh rate and fast sync, neither worked from the profile inspector. I'm just using the ingame vsync and limiter with both set at 72

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    On another note; does these launch commands have any real effect

-high -USEALLAVAILABLECORES

Im using them for a while, but dunno..

11. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I saw something while trying out Thief and reminded me of you saying this. In the game's settings for their V-sync, it's either off, double buffering, or triple buffering, yet the game is running on dx11. Like you said, triple buffering forced from the driver only affects OpenGL just from Nvidia? Or all triple buffering in general? And it's weird when I force 1/2 refresh rate vsync option because the game will try to hold at ~72, but sometimes shoots up to 78. When i disable exclusive fullscreen option (but still "fullscreen") it jumps up to the 100s so it seems that it wants to work correctly in fullscreen, but doesn't fully comply. Using RTSS's limiter tho makes sure there's no jump past 72.

Edit: I went ahead and lowered the refresh rate in-game and tested both the double-buffering and triple buffering vsync options and they work, but I don't get why it work correctly thru the profile inspector. I'm starting to notice that these little issues i'm running into, a lot of them are using the Unreal Engine...

12. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just opengl, it will not prevent you from changing a directx games vsync type.