Getting my first Smartphone! Need help!

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by mf2385, Aug 2, 2012.

1. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
  2. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    It probably just needs to be tuned and updated or something. The web search voice works on Siri for Android.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Don't say that if you haven't tried Google Now ;). I use Google Now all the time to set reminders for me. Usually to set alarms and add Calendar events.

deltatux

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I have tried Google now. You can set alarms and add calendar. But, specifically, "Remind me to go to the store tomorrow."

Or "Set a reminder for tomorrow to go to the store" doesn't work. It tells you it isn't supported.

5. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Maybe doing something wrong ^ idk

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I'm gonna load the thing now and prove it.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ah, seems like it can't set things for days, but only if there's a time attached to it. Guess it is indeed something that it can't do right now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

deltatux

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Hah, that's ok I mean it still can use Siri for other simple tasks, voice web searches, etc. So most of the overall usage is still there.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Who knows why, when I tried that, and it didn't work, I didn't even explore it further.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It doesn't work with dates it seems, but with time, check my post you just quoted for a new screenshot.

Guess this is indeed something Google needs to add in the next iteration or whenever they decide to update the engine.

deltatux

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's an alarm, which kind of works, I guess.

There should be three levels:

Alarms: Things like waking up, remembering the stove, etc.
    Reminders: General things. Things that don't really need your calendar, but you need to remember them at a later date.
    Calendar Events: Things you need to remember, big, important events. birthdays, interviews, meetings, etc.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yep, guess it just needs more refining, though stuff like asking statistical things or anything informational (like flights, CEOs of companies, addresses, direction and etc.), Apple is no where near it.

deltatux

13. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Ok so basically, I am either getting the Google Nexus 7 or the Samsung Galaxy S III now. See what happens. But they're both really good been looking at reviews and a bunch of posts on the forums and can't go wrong with either for now.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yep, to be honest, a phone does everything a tablet can, just that tablets are just bigger versions of phones lol. The main reasons why I have a tablet is reading books, taking simple notes in class and showing documents to my professor on the go when asking questions (having your professor holding your laptop while both of you are walking is very awkward).

Other than that, for everything else, my Nexus S can do in its own, so for now get the SGS III first then think about the Nexus 7 later.

deltatux

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Make sure you check the screen for flaws as soon as you take it out of the box. As I posted Samsung literally do not have a policy regarding screens on cell phones so they will simply not replace the screen so long as it technically functions no matter how defective it is.

I'm kind of surprised you'd take such a gamble after I shared my experience, good luck.

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I have a Kindle Fire (Rooted, with Jellybean, so basically a Nexus 7)

I don't use it, at all, anymore. An S3, with a screen at 4.8 inches, is just perfect for everything.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have a several Samsung devices and personally never had an issue dealing with them. It's unfortunate that happened to you. Rogers (Fido is part of Rogers) should have taken care of it the entire way to be honest, I used to send my devices through Rogers before I ditched them for WIND and they usually fix it for you (regardless if it's covered under warranty or out of warranty repair).

deltatux

18. mf2385

mf2385 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Well for now I am probably going to pick up a 16GB Google Nexus 7 and probably in a month or couple of weeks a Galaxy S III, see what happens.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Did they ever replace a defective screen for you?

Also does Wind just replace the item or do they have their own authorized repair centres? I would have considered Wind but their signal is a bit weak here.

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, but not for a Samsung device, had battery issues instead. They just replaced some internal components and the battery for me.

WIND used to give you on the spot replacement but like Rogers, Bell and Telus now, they just send it to repair centres.

deltatux