Getting messages offering to buy my steam account.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Zooke, Jun 28, 2021.

1. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    I think in the early Steam days you could register the CD Keys for your Account.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Yeah. I was entering every CD key I had into Steam. Some were recognized (like the one for Prey.)

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  3. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    My brother and me had the same install from 1 CD, then i bought another HL1 so we could play multiplayer. My brother still has the very 1st CD key of the original disk from 1998 in his Steam acc. Lucky me. :D

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    That's how i activated my physical copies of HL, Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

DocStr4ngelove and fantaskarsef like this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I had access to dial up internet at the time, coupled with parents that believed the internet was not something you used for a "toy".... ended up going to a lot of lan parties back then just to get games working and the files installed :x

If you have a retail "Games for Windows Live" copy of Resident Evil 5 you can activate that on Steam, not sure if it will still work but that's how I got RE5 on Steam.

DocStr4ngelove and XP-200 like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Just checked how old my Steam account is. It goes back to May 2008. That made me think, because I remember having to sign up to Steam back in 2004 to be able to play HL2. It seems like I made a new account in 2008. Weirdly, I remember none of it. Whatever the reason was, I can't remember.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Obviously were an assassin and lost your memory and now live a different life and can't remember your past.

xD

Do you remember what email address you used or had in 2004?

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Mate, I'm old. But I think I only had the one email address back in 2004. And it's the one my current Steam account uses. But I could be wrong.

But I can 100% clearly remember buying HL2 on discs and trying to install it and I had no internet where I lived. So I put the case in the back of my car and drove to a friend's house to hook it up to the internet and get the game installed. Good times.

KissSh0t likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    If i remember correctly we had NTL cable tv and a 64k cable modem package meaning no need for dial up anymore, hard to believe what i once thought was state of the art is now as obsolete as a wax cylinder is to Spotify . Lol

10. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    I remember we had ISDN back then and it took 3mins to download 1MB.

A friend at work needed all sorts of quicktime exes and other patches but had a very instable modem so i downloaded the 30MB patches for him and burned it to a CD.
    He later told me he put the CDs in a box on his window sill and one day he couldnt use them anymore because the sun burned half of the data away.

Tough times dude. xD

XP-200 and AsiJu like this.