1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new Soundcard, X-FI Forte or Xonar DX?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Sparks, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy + KFA2 GTX 570 SLI
    Im considering getting a new soundcard, but im totally torn between an Auzentech X-FI Forte or an Asus Xonar Dx. Is the Forte worth the extra AU$50? Also does the X-FI Forte pop and crackle when combined with XP 64bit and 4GB of RAM? Also I will be probably getting a logitech X-540. Plz post what u thimk or suggest... other soundcard suggestions MUST be PCIe.
    Thanks.

2. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    go to xonar DX cause ur speakers and the problem od x-fi....im a xonar lover...so my advice is the stable and quality solution....if u wanna the best kinda perfomance in games go to x-fi,if u need something stable with more quality the way is strate to xonar! i havent any problems with games and etc...i prefere it cause i have more sound quality in every way!!!! ask me anything you need m8ty!:banana:

3. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    So looks like im heading for the Xonar... does the dx come with a full sized bracket? and how good is the drivers and what ever else it comes with? and one more thing, i'll be mounting it the top pcie slot above my gfx card and below the nforce 200 chipset, will i get signal interference stuff cause the card doesnt have an emi shield?
    btw thanks for the quick response :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No. You shouldn't get any interference for normal use.

5. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok thanks ROBSCIX. So i've pretty much decided im gonna get a xonar dx unless someone has a very good reason not to. however i have just seen the logitech z-2300 and it looks like they are much better. anyone use and recomend them? its either that or the x-540.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd back the Xonar DX as well. I'd also recommend the HT Omega Striker 7.1 as well.

deltatux

7. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks deltatux, but that is a PCI soundcard. I'm really looking for a pcie card.
    Do u have any other suggestions?

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't see how a PCI card is worse than a PCIe card. In fact sound cards don't need more bandwidth than what a standard 32-bit 33 MHz PCI slot can offer. I have a PCI sound card and it works perfectly.

Another card would be the Xonar D2X but I don't know if that goes over your budget.

deltatux

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  9. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Its not whats better but i just dont have enough pci slots. anyway, ill consider the d2x but i cant find any reason to spend so much more if i dont need to. what is actually better about the d2x? (apart from the lights lol)

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I have the X-530, basically the X-540, but an older model.

I've had them for over 4 years and they're great for me. Of course, any serious Audiophile or probably anyone on Guru3D will tell you they're **** plainly because:

1. They're PC Speakers.

2. They're old and very cheap

-----

Now sure, Klipsch or Bose would be a good idea, but they're expensive. Z-5500 are PC Speakers also, but I hear they're great. Close to 400$...they had a sale on them for 250$ a few months back, wish I had the cash then, it was a great deal.

-----

Z-2300 are 2.1, right? Pretty good from reviews I hear, but if you want 5.1, go for the X-540.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006

Good price.

11. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    i'm not sure. people say the z-2300 sound better, but ur right they are 2.1 i just dont know weather they are worth sacrificing surround sound for.

12. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It comes with clearer sound reproduction since it's an HTPC grade soundcard and a newer sound chip.

That and better surround sound.

However, the DX would still be good, but not as good as the D2X.

deltatux

13. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    So if I use mid range speakers (X-540 or Z-2300) will i be able to hear the difference? I expect I could on some proper HT Speakers but ill just be using pc speakers so im not sure its worth twice as much.
    Thanks

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Probably not worth twice as much, but it's future proofing, but then again, future proofing isn't really useful in these days when every year new tech comes out and makes "Future" proofing worthless.

15. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks m8. usually im all in for future profing but not when it cost that much more... ill try and keep the dx for as long as i can though (if i dont change my mind before i order it on monday)

16. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well Soundcards can last 6-7 years if you really want them to.

Onboard audio still isn't better than Soundcards from like 2003-2004 or so...so yeah. At least I've been told Onboard audio still isn't that good, not sure if it's a fact.

I know alot of people use cheap 30$ Audigy's for new computers if they don't have a Soundcard already, supposed to be better than even the most expensive mobos onboard.

17. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    My MoBo is cost me a small fortune and yeah the onboard sucks. It causes all kinds of trouble from lags in Assassins Creed to completely cutting out after 5 minutes or less in Cod4 Multi player. I wish the MoBo had been a little cheaper and therefore come without onboard. I have never heard an audigy before but it probably is better than my onboard.

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Mm, well, a mobo without Onboard sound is unlikely, as most consumers are fine with Onboard.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Really? No too many around here. Once you hear a quality add-in card you will never go back to onboard again. They have been getting better but still not up to the quality of even the cheapest add-in cards. For example, the Xonar DX is about $80 and the quality of the audio is about 32 times higher then your average onboard. Comparison made based on SNR/dynamic range etc.

If you want good speaker avoid the "PC" branded speakers altogether.

20. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I wouldn't say I wouldn't go back. I just prefer this sound card. I still run onboard on my media centre. Then again it has a "high quality" onboard audio chipset than what my desktop onboard is...

ALC883 (desktop) < ALC1200 (HTPC) by a long shot.

deltatux