Getting a new Harddrive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W@w@Y, Dec 24, 2010.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    I currently have 1x 500Gb Seagate 7200.11 and 1x320Gb Seagate 7200.11. I use the 500Gb for my OS and Program files as well as my documents..This drive holds everything except for my page file, downloads and my videos which I store on the 320Gb drive.

This week I have had 2 checkdisk prompt for the 320 Gb Drive and so I realized maybe its time for a new harddrive (both drives are from my old build anyway and are more than 2 years old)

My plan is to get a samsung spinpoint f3 1 Tb..this should be more than enough for my needs anyway as my 820Gb total for the old drives never got used up and always had about 50% free space

whew..what a long introduction but these are my questions

1. How much power do these drives consume? Coz my PSU is quite loaded with my current components and I dont want to add much stress to the PSU.

2. I plan to totally remove the 320Gb drive from my system (throw all my backups there and just unplug the Sata and power cable from it)

3. Is it wise if I buy 2x500Gb F3s and put them in RAID 0? then make the 500Gb drive as my backup? (So im keeping 3 drives..I will still ditch the 320Gb drive because of the bad sector/chkdsk annoyance)

4. Velociraptor 150Gb instead of the SPinpoint F3...Is it worth it? :D

5. No SSD recommendation pls :D I not now..haha maybe next year as its too expensive for me for now..

Can annyone on a RAID 0 setup please show me the "my computer" screenshot? I can't imagine how it works..in theory RAID 0 means having the 2 drives work as 1 right?, Can you still partition it?

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Argh why do I always open up threads a few hours before I leave for the IT mall? :wanker:

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If it's a storage drive, I recommend the SAMSUNG F4 2TB drive. It's sold for C$99.99, so I have no clue the price in Singapore.

deltatux

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    its for my main drive..will use it for OS and apps

RAID 0 worth it? the F3 1Tb sells for S$75 each so buying 2 is quite affordable

I just dont know what to put in 1tb let alone 2tb though haha.

going back to my original concern, how much power do hard drives consume?

and if i buy 2x1tb RAID 0, should i just remove my old drives? will they slow up my system if i keep them?

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Then get that SAMSUNG F3 1TB ... never say too much, you'll soon find out you're out of room. Even with all the drives I have, I'm barely scraping by.

deltatux

6. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    1 drive or is RAID 0 worth it? Im curious to try getting 2x1tb and RAID 0 them. When I do, is it ok to keep my 500Gb as backup drive? How about the power consumption of these drives?

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    OK

OPTION A - get 2 1tb F3s, RAID 0 them and keep the 500Gb as backup and remove the 320Gb from my system

OPTION B - get 2 1tb F3s..use 1 for OS, 1 for backup and remove both 500Gb and 320Gb from my system

OPTION C - 1x1tb F3 for OS and apps, 1x500Gb caviar green for backup and remove both 500Gb and 320Gb from my system

my rationale for wanting to remove the old drives si that they may consume more power (i dont want to load up my PSU further) and being that they are old, they might slow down the potential of the new ones..are my concerns valid?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  8. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    you need to calm down about power consumption, it's barely 8W man :p

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    I didnt know lol..like i said, im using an old 600w PSU and I didnt want to load it further..

does the HD use the 12v rail or what?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    They use both 5v and 12v., 5v for the circuitry and 12v for the motor.

Power consumption isn't on any scale you need to worry about though, plus you can always enable power save in the Power Options menu (Control Panel).

T

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    I ended up buying just 1 F3 lol.. I realized my PSU only has 3 SATA power connectors and going RAID 0 means I cannot have a backup harddrive since the third power connector will go to the optical drive...sheesh..

so my next plan in a few months will just to buy an SSD and use the 1tb F3 for storage..in the meantime I will just use the F3 and the 500Gb for backup and remove the 320Gb from my system :D

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Good plan ;)

13. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Samsung F3's in RAID 0 reportedly give Sandforce SSD-class performance (250MB/s+ I/O throughput). Even alone, it's fast enough to do 100MB/s+ in real-world usage. You can't really stand the 20 minute 6GB file transfers on cheap USB 2.0 flash drives after experiencing a "fast" drive like the F3 :)

14. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    Power consumption isnt gonna be anymore then your current 320gb hdd lol, As for raid0 yes it generally consists of 2+, As for the f4 hdds delt mentioned i'd go with the f3's 1tb as they are actually faster then the f4's.. Just remember RAID isnt a backup and the array can break at any given time so keep that in mind, I run a raid 0 with ssd's but my backups are on single drives..

15. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Boy are these F3,s hard to find..even on an IT mall with 2 levels dedicated to stores selling PC hardwares..lol..I was lucky to find one in a small-ish store..they had only 10 in stock lmao

16. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    lol yeh they almost EOL haha.. Bad timings i guess seeming as its christmas and all :)