Germany

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by proFits, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    I am a pedegree German. Born in Germany an moved to England at the age of 4 years old. Both parents German, step father English.

My mothers side of the family live in Barsinghausen Hannover. I visit them every few years and love the experience. Germany really is a lovely place to visit.

Fortunatly my family speak english as I have lost all my deusch language. I really should re-learn my native language.

2. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Everything pretty much, obviously it's specific about each region of Germany.

But what's the food like, the music, the people, poverty and crime, public transport , network connection, employement level.

Basically would you recommend moving to Germany and why :p

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    I lived in Germany for 3 years near Freiburg. I loved it, has to be the one of the cleanest countries I've ever been in. I'd go back for the food alone. Living in the Swartzwald is pretty country too.

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    :eek:

That's quite a bit. :D

Well, crime rate in general is very low I'd say - especially compared to the USA, for example. Bigger cities like Berlin or Frankfurt of course have quarters you shouldn't visit alone at night but that's pretty common all around the world I'd say. Almost nobody owns guns in Germany. The German law is very strict in that regard - as a result of the second world war. Yes, of course you can get a gun illegally there as well and hunters and rod and gun clubs exist, too but it's nothing like in the USA.

Poverty isn't that much of a problem in Germany either since we do have a very good social and health care system. Scandinavian countries are better but they're also paying substantially more taxes. Germany also has a social market economy and not a free market economy like the USA has. There are quite a few and important differences like better job protection, lots of vacation time (24 days minimum per law + holidays), mandatory health insurance if you're working full time, etc. Currently the unemployment rate is around 7 - 8%, iirc. Germany has around 80 - 85 million people. The "green movement" is also quite big in Germany. It even has it's own party called "Die Gruenen" which usually gets around 10% of the votes. Generally speaking Germany is a very wealthy country.

The public transportation system is one of the best and important in Germany. You can get almost anywhere just using the public transportation system. It's reasonably priced.

Food in Germany is quite diverse I'd say. You can definitely get your burgers and fries, steak, Italian pizza, Turkish Doener Kebab (http://foodphotoz.com/wp-content/pl...fdd70d5.75cca78afd278ab9fe6de0cb51928dcb.jpeg) but also your Wiener Schnitzel (http://images.google.com/images?q=wiener schnitzel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi), Sauerbraten (http://umami.typepad.com/umami/images/2007/07/31/sauerbraten.jpg), Bratwurst mit Sauerkraut (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Bratwurst.jpg), Maultaschen (http://blog.rezkonv.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/gebratene_maultaschen.jpg), Spaetzle (http://postbulletin.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451cc8269e20120a60d915f970c-320wi), Knoedel (http://www.pfitschtal.de/images/knoedel.jpg), noodle dishes, Greek and other close countries' food since Germany is situated centrally in Europe. Its meat, cheese, bakery and pastry selection is quite broad as well. A healthy selection of fish dishes can be gotten as well, of course. :D

It has four distinct seasons and a moderate climate. During the summer you can expect to see temperatures between 77 and up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. During the winter 5 degrees Fahrenheit or less can be expected although usually it's warmer - more like 23 degrees Fahrenheit.

Germany has a lot of history and world heritage buildings/sites but I'm sure you already know that from doing a bit of research.

Here's a pic of my home town, for example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    The only thing I'd worry about when going to another country, is not being able t okeep my current ISP.

6. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    ALOT of Germans speak English fluently, especially the younger ones. Last time I was there for the world cup I had no problem doing anything, people are generally friendly and the country is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to live there for a part of my life. GO FOR IT

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Very true. No matter which route in the German school system you're taking, English is always a mandatory part for a few years.

I had for example nine years of English in school. (5th to 13th grade)

8. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080

Yeah the main reason to move would be the architecture I'd like to visit the country, one thing I forgot to ask maybe is is stuff opened 24/7.

and what's the rent like in big cities ?

(also the temperature in F I don't understand but that's the kind of thing I can look up on wiki)

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Only gas stations and maybe a few little stores in Berlin are open 24/7, but usually everything's closed on Sundays, for example.

Also: in the end it depends on the stores themselves how long they want to open their doors but they have to follow these rules:
    - the store has to be closed on Sundays and holidays
    - the store can open 24 hours from Monday to Saturday if it wants to in quite a few states (6 or 8 am until 8 or 10 pm is common though)
    (There are certain exceptions to these rules, too, though. Special holidays, fairs, etc.)

That always has to be seen in relation to your income of course but it's definitely manageable.

Here are a few examples for different cities (I selected 1 - 3 bedroom apartments):
    http://www.immowelt.de/Immobilien/I...=1&RooMi=1&RooMa=3&ESR=2&Sort=createdate+desc

http://www.immowelt.de/Immobilien/I...=1&ESR=2&RooMi=1&RooMa=3&sort=createdate+desc

http://www.immowelt.de/Immobilien/I...=1&ESR=2&RooMi=1&RooMa=3&sort=createdate+desc

And I thought you only know Fahrenheit - hence I converted it from Celsius to Fahrenheit. :bang:

Well, the temperatures can be up to 35 degrees Celsius (hottest ever recorded was 40 C, iirc) and minus 5 to 10 during the winter.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My 18 yo stepsister is in Germany atm workin as An Au Pair - she loves it. Maybe I could hook you two up..(j/k)

Also my ex gf girlfriend is from Stuttgart. And damn she was hot.

I think tried to post this earlier, but my body and my brain weren't speaking to each other at the time......

Any way what I'm saying is that German girls are really hot iirc... That's all.

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I lived in a town named Kitzingen, not far from where Cybermancer is from, for three years from 93-96. I think it took me about a day and I absolutely fell in love with the country. The adjustment process was a little rocky but not hard at all. The food, the sights, the culture, and especially the people I found to be absolutely fascinating.
    Agreed, the sights of the Bavarian Alps near Berchtesgaden are extremely beautiful and also are permanently engraved into both my mind and psyche. The experiences there and the time I lived there, I would not trade for anything. I cannot say that I had a single bad experience there either aside from the rig-a-morrow of dealing with Army stuff. There is a part of me that yearns to be back there as the general mood and ambiance had a flavor both thick and rich in it's structure and perception. I also found a "warmness" in Germany that has never been found anywhere else in my travels. However, the only regret is that I did not learn the language better more solidly. But if that is the only regret, then I'd say the time there was nothing but positive and the country as well as the people have left an everlasting positive impact.

I've been to these places!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  12. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    It's funny that the Marshall Plan that Truman instilled bore fruit, when he tried the same policies here they went nowhere......

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    He lived there for 6 months and said that's what he found, most were rude and unhelpful, and unless he was with a German girl, he would be refused entry to a club etc.

14. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    What city is that, cyber?

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ill just leave this here

[​IMG]

German people are very friendly, never had a problem with a german in my life. am visiting the country since a was little. my parents have allot of friends there now. (they live around Kochem somewhere, its a beautifull place).
    Too bad about the game banning though, thats the only downside of germany.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The Aussies & Kiwi's are pretty biased towards the English...so are the Welsh IIRC (my ex brother in law is Welsh)

But it's only because they're always whinging about something, and never tip at restaurants :p

17. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    Cybermancer, your home town looks amazing!

I must admit I dont think anyone who hates Germany has ever been there / met anyone...all the young people I met over there spoke English great and were good guys.

Which makes the politics of the last few hundred years seem even more unbelieveable - just look at the last photo, a palace in which Napoleon stayed.

18. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Hey if you come to germany make shore that you go to Munich so we can meet and drink a few beers:banana:.

19. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    Start training with beer and bradwurst.... achtung

20. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    And about traditional German food.. Ehh.. It kinda sucks tell you the truth. BUT! *:)* there are huge Italian, Russian, and Turkish communities in Germany and their food is great! I loved all the doner there and all the pizza restraunts and the abundance of great street food. They have BBQ everywhere! I went to the supermarket in Tubingen near Stutgart and there was a BBQ fast food place in the "REAL" *supermarket chain* and it was GREAAAATTT!!!! *and a great price!*