General questions :D

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Archuth, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Archuth

Archuth Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD 4850 512mb@ stock
    Right have a few questions for you guys i am in the UK. so here goes :D:

1) First off i am looking into upgrading my cpu, i need something which is AM3, was taking into account the 550 720 or some sort of quad core? 940/955?

2) Cooling wise, i have a coolermaster haf 932 atm but the fans are wayyyy to slow for my liking, i was looking at investing in some Scythe Ultra kaze 3000rpm case fans, loud i know but thats my next point.

3) fan controllers those 3000rpm fans are not quiet pushing out 45db!, so i was looking at the Nesteq FanMax 8-Channel Fan Controller, controls up to 8 fans,

Right i have 4 case fans atm, a 23cm top front and side one then a 14cm rear fan. however the top 23cm can be replaced with 2 120mm fans and the side one can be replaced with 4 120mm fans, i was thinking of starting small with the ultra kazes and just buying 2 to see how they run with the fan controller and in my pc then working onto buying another 4 to replace the side fans then maybe another to replace the rear one :/

Any help is apprecieated

thanks

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you want a cheap quad core, the Phenom II 925, 940 or the 945 are the way to go.

deltatux

3. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    if going AM3, at the price they are, you cant really beat the AM3 Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4ghz 6mb cache. Not worth upgrading to anything less then that imo

4. Archuth

Archuth Member Guru

GPU:
    Ok thanks for the help am about to order those fans anyone have any opinions on them?

5. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    yeah either 955 or 965 . they are all $200 and below so if you don't mind spending 200 , the 965 , if you're more comfortable with spending $160 , the 955 will do.

in the haf 932 i would flip the top fan over to push cool air pressure downwards , leaving your front and rear fans as intake(front) / exhaust(rear) and leave the door and bottom chasis mount fanless .

try it out for a day or so if you havn't already . could save you some money ,noise , and dust build up from running numerous high rpm fans .

6. Archuth

Archuth Member Guru

GPU:
    Ok i am trying that now but surely, as hot air rises the fan would just help the hot air on its way rather then pushing the hot air back into the case? was just having a think :D