General Question: Why?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by FalseTetrabyte, Aug 26, 2012.

1. FalseTetrabyte

FalseTetrabyte New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5870 (x2)
    Why do you fold?

I'm not trying to troll - just curious.

I used to, but having to pay for the power usage of my system(s) got to be a concern, so I stopped.

Yeah, I know there's a feeling you can get from contributing spare CPU cycles and such - I'm not totally ignorant, I'm just curious to see if anyone has any interesting ideas/ideals behind why they fold. :)

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ever had family with an incurable illness ? Or even worse, say you got diagnosed with a terminal illness that may have been treatable with enough research?, would you then ask the very same question again ?

The point of folding is abundantly clear ...

3. pieisgood

pieisgood Master Guru

GPU:
    4870 512mb
    Is there any information on what the project has acomplished? its been going on for years now but i havent really heard anything about it outside of scores.

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    have a look through this thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322785&page=7 folding will help create better drug designs and have fewer negative affects when used it will also help us understand what is going on that they cant get from just doing clinical trials

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Diseases
    Probably not the latest, but you'll get the gist of it.

As for why I fold, it's because I personally think it's one of the (probably) many practical ways to donate something.
    My monies are 'donated' through the electric bills I paid for folding, so to speak.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you look at the facts, data obtained by Folding saves more money in research, than what we all spend on electric bills. It benefits society and gives (at least some of us) the satisfaction of knowing that our money is going exactly where we want it to....the research. I donated money to various "charities" for years just to find out that the majority of the money was being used to pay greedy "researchers" and "scientists" and cover lobbying.... It sickens me to think that people donate money to what they're told and believe is a good cause....just to find out the stated cause is only getting a fraction of the donated money.

7. iancook221188

GPU:
    ive always said it to be a more active than a passive way to give to charity like sykozis said you don't always know where your money is going, at one point the folding distributed network was larger than any super computer in the world by quite some way no university could of bought that sort of power at that point

8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    because rather than donating money to stuff you are not sure of, at least here there is technically no monetary donation, you are more active in giving donations because your pc that you build/bought actually is part of something bigger, so you are contributing more than just giving a buck to a stranger, also you are sure that what you donate is going to the correct people who know what they are doing and are actually trying to achieve something for humanity.

when it's about giving away money, people will shy off, well most common people who can afford a decent living, but if you tell then: hey you can use your PC when you are not doing anything to it, it motivates them more to participate, the fact that the electricity bill will slightly go up is another problem that they might or not consider when doing it, but again, it's up to them to use the f@h clients, so they get a sense of control, when you donate money to stuff you cannot control them that much like you do when folding.

offtopic: one of my best friend died of lung cancer this year, that is why now im folding, i hope Stanford will do something with our data someday

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  9. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I happen to think folding is great way of serving charity but just like the mention of the majority of funds not going to the charity you specified . Folding could also somewhat of a gimmick you may think you are folding for a cure for cancer but in reality are working out calculations and formulations for advanced new super weapons and what is worse we would be non the wiser.

edit sorry for off topic

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    We're not looking for specific cures to specific diseases...we're doing protein folding simulations... A college wouldn't donate such a system to weapon development.

11. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    We fold so you don't have to!

12. Indigo

Indigo Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5870 x 2
    I used to fold often - I had every PC in the house set up to do it, but that was back when Athlon 800's were the rage.

I stopped because I wasn't really seeing any tangible benefits, the research info just wasn't making it to my inbox / line of sight apparently. You guys make some good points though - i'm considering jumping into it, but I need to see how the power bill looks at my new place - then maybe I can throw some hardware at it.

A former coworker of mine had F@H installed on several of the servers at work - nothing like running them at 100% - it was more like a background process to tap 10% of a system or something. It's tempting to do that again, especially since the upper management wouldn't give a squat.

13. iancook221188

GPU:
  14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    it's how i heat my room in the winter.:banana:

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    god i hope that's what it is really about.

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Lol, tru dat.

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    haha yer can they show us the result too that would be cool