GeForce RTX 4080 benchmarks reveal it to be just 25% slower than 4090

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 10, 2022.

1. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I don't see why...there were isolated incidents normal if you think that it is a new tech.
    There is some kind of hysteria on the net nowadays with launch of new products: AMD launched the 7000 series and everybody was like: "O my god 95 degrees on the CPU!!! it will melt the motherboard, it will destroy itself" - nothing like this. The same with Nvidia:" It will burn houses, destroy neighborhoods!"...I also see that all the cards in question had been replaced no questions asked and it did not happened again.

[​IMG]

2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I used to have one of those too. The funny thing is people now complaining about the high power usage of 4090 going up to 600W.... I think the 7970 by default ran at near 600W all the time. I remember my electricity bill per month dropped a lot after I replaced that GPU

EDIT: I meant dual GPU 7990!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    mohiuddin likes this.
  3. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    True but in American money... but I just had a look there out of interest - an online site is still selling 3080 right now - Palit NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Pro - for £999.98 (1,144.54 Euro / $1175.15). This side of pond never had it as cheap as $699.

4. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There'll be a lawsuit, but it'll be nvidia against slanderous individuals without brains.

AMD's cpu's will be watched with scrutiny to see how often they fail after 3 years.

DonMigs85 and Why_Me like this.
  6. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB

Sorry, but I've never heard such a funny explanation, but great, I never stop learning!!
    If I needed a GPU to make money, a RTX would never cross my mind. Maybe this could be an option for a funny youtube content creator, or an influencer sharing his home videos.
    For work and I mean really work, I need a professional card that works absolutely reliably, especially has reliable drivers and works with my application software. For this I like to spend $10000.- if necessary.
    But I don't want a professional Nvidia Axx.. something card with a, mmhhhhh, lets say "unreliable 12VHPWR connector", where I have to be afraid that it may torch my office during 24/7 operation. Or maybe Nvidia tests its new products with the gaming comunity before they release the prof. cards?

Serotonin likes this.
  7. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Don't forget that the American prices shown are always prior to any sales taxes added (their equivalent of our VAT). At geizhals.eu the cheapest 3080 goes for 777euros which with today's exchange rate converts to 798 USD. Removing 19% VAT gives an equivalent price of 670 USD (to be able to compare apples to apples). Slightly lower than MSRP however in older times a card getting ready to be replaced by the next generation should be going for quite less than "just below MSRP". However this doesn't justify launching the next one with a much higher mark up.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I don't think anyone is supposed to upgrade from a 3090 to 40xx.
    Is just completely unnecessary.

Nvidia Maxwell was the 900 serie.
    900 to 1000 was a worthy upgrade,
    1000 to 2000 just if you loved to test RTX, unworthy upgrade
    2000 to 3000 seemed worthy, im still on a 1080ti because the price craze.
    3000 to 4000 seems unnecessary with current games.

9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Unless you actually need the massive frame buffers of the Quadro cards, or the higher precision floating point operations (that NVidia nerfed in consumer cards) - which it sounds like you do, then I think you are basically paying an extra $8000 for "Studio Drivers" and you can download and install Studio Drivers on any consumer card now for last few years. Previous to this, the Studio Drivers were kept exclusive to Quadro I think. Anyway all Studio Drivers are, is earlier, more used - so more tested for bugs - stable version of "Game Ready" drivers. Don't think there is such thing as professional Quadro drivers any more is there? Think they also might have slightly artificially tweaked them slightly to give slightly better anti-aliasing than consumer cards to give impression of better quality. And "works absolutely reliably" just means they run the GPUs and memory at a lower clocks to keep them stable.

Why_Me likes this.
  10. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    I think we both just have the problem that we have completely different demand or views of cost/ quality.

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Market segmentation 101: how to sell the same thing to two different people for very different prices and still make both customers happy

12. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Agreed, you are right.

13. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    Now if this IS true with 25% less and the 7900XTX rumor about being only 10% behind the 4090 (non RT) This card is DOA with that price. It needs 799$ max price point to complete.

14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    7970 used about 200watts?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...D 7970 - On your,power supply unit as minimum.

Even the ghz edition only used about 220watts

AlmondMan likes this.
  15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    many of the prices listed there even if they were the announced msrp were not accurate i got the 980 for 450ish usd and the 1080 for 500ish and everything after that was considerably higher than the listed msrp, 3080s were well above 1k for the majority of its exsistence even now the absolute cheapest 3080 is 850$ before taxes and shipping.

16. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
  17. Wault

Wault Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900XT 310Black
    What bugs me, is that there is leaks for this card but not even ONE leak for RX7900XT(X).
    For the RX6x00XT, as I recall, there were leaks months before release. That makes me uncomfortable because I really need them to have acceptable performance for their price tag.
    My GPU just died and, as I therefore use now my old HD58070, I'm, for once, in a hurry to buy a Linux-friendly, 144Hz wQHD friendly, card.

To not be totally off topic, I have the feeling that with this price tag and supposed performance, the 4080 should have been named "4080Ti", and that would have appeased the outcry with its price, don't you think ?

Perhaps the names should have been RX7900XTX => RX7950XT and RX7900XT, in AMD sides. But supposedly, they have only 10% perf difference, whereas 4080 and 4090 differences are somewhat more pronounced, Like 3080Ti<->3090 (if my memory is good).

18. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Honestly, I'd stick with that card till 50 series..

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Yes sir. I believe I may do that. Just save for the next year and upgrade the whole system. I have an 11900k, 32gb or ram and the 3080ti. I'm hoping that can just get me by until the 5000 series and then upgrade the cpu/mobo so I can move to pcie 5.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I look forward to the days when 12vhpwr connections are the norm for all cards, no matter the company, 6/8 pin connectors are a thing of the past, quality adapters have made their way to the masses, people have gotten ATX 3.0 power supplies, and no one scaremongers people about things that have nothing to do with the 12vhpwer connector, but rather the adapters, conveniently forgetting that all types of power connectors, including their beloved 6/8 pin connectors, have had countless melting issues, especially when dealing with adapters.

But alas, then there will be another thing for people to scaremonger everyone with, because that is societies favorite pastime, scaremongering.

Paying attention to a dollar amount rather then inflation will do that to you.

Not saying that inflation is the end-all in terms of this generations pricing, there's definitely an increase, but hey i'll do the correct math for you

Inflation adjusted to 2022
    GeForce 2 Ultra $863
    GeForce3 Ti500 $587
    GeForce4 Ti 4600 $660
    5900 Ultra $808
    6800 Ultra $787
    7800 $914
    8800 Ultra $1,191
    9800 $413
    280 $899
    480 $681
    580 $681
    680 $649
    780 $830
    980 $691
    1080 $743
    2080 $829
    3080 $804
    4080 $1199

So again while i'm not saying that changes the fact that 4080 is expensive, don't try and make things look worse then they are because you don't want to take into consideration inflation, something that legitimately matters. Random numbers with no applied value to them don't matter.

Then there's also the matter of, with all those numbers there, what has been the cost of every generation? what has been the markup of every generation? Do we know these numbers from previous years, vs now? You can't very well state that "well nvidia is making more money according to their earnings reports so yeah!" because the market has also gotten bigger (aka more customers). Unless we absolutely without a doubt know the costs of every generation of GPUs and then can tell how much profit is being made on each, we can't even give an idea of why cards are getting more expensive.

Heck, the 8800 Ultra was the same price, effectively, as the 4080. You could say "well that's the ultra! comparable to the 4090!" says who? the naming? there were no 90 cards (well, there were but they were a very different implementation, as they were the "ti" or "super" of that generation), there were no titans, and therefore that gets even more into a complicated mess of "well it's my opinion that (insert opinion here)" vs "No you're wrong my opinion is (insert opinion here)"

What i can say, with pretty good certainty, is that a RTX 4080, i am certain cost more then

[​IMG]

...The Geforce 2 Ultra to manufacturer, with an equivalent price of $863 today....by a lot.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    AuerX and xIcarus like this.