GeForce RTX 3090 prices are starting to list at etailers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    13 months..... :D

Undying likes this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    I found a great direct-from-manufacturer outlet on ebay through all this, if they list a 3090 with offers available i'd for sure consider them again.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I'm sure it's gonna be 1000-1100.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Why overpriced?

RTX 3090 10GB would cost 1000, add 14GB more and that makes 1500.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Why so serious?

6. AuerX

AuerX Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX2070 OC
    It will sell well, as it will be the best gaming card available.

$1500 aint bad, if you have a job.

DeskStar likes this.
  7. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    @AuerX

You can buy and assemble a full desktop PC with 1500 USD, and not a bad one either!
    Even considering you're a rich kid, buying the 3090 is just a bad thing to do imo.
    Just get the 3080, if you can, or wait for a version with more vram of said card.

Personally I'm really interested to see what Nvidia made with the 3070 and how it will stack up with the Navi2.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    The price premium for the Strix OC almost exactly equals the price I paid for a brand new GTX 580 back in 2011 where I live. A different design and slightly better cooler isn't quite worth that much.

9. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    ROG-STRIX-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING
    $ 1,799.99

Absolutely crazy prices.

Some idiots are going to pay over $1,000 more for 10% over a 3080.

The old saying is apt here: "fools and their money are easily parted"

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Or they just don't care because they have so much money, or they are doing video editing and the 3090's performance is like 30-40% higher than $5000 Quadro's from last generation and VRAM actually matters.

11. AuerX

AuerX Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX2070 OC
    People's attitudes about the 3090 seems to reflect their financial situation.
    Everyone is different, I don't see what the big deal is honestly.
    Most people I know that can spend this kind of cash comfortably didnt get there by accident.
    Not exactly "idiots" or "rich kids".....sigh..

12. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    They should have called it 3090 Titan. I think people might view it a little differently.

Or maybe a Gaming Titan.

Lily GFX likes this.
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    2x overpriced by already hyper-bloated prices that we've been sadly accustomed to. Just to remind you guys of prices in ye olde days... a 6800 GT which performed not too different than a 6800 GTX/Ultra (the full blown chip IIRC) was $249.90 CAD. In terms of how many times it's cut down, that puts it at either Titan or 1 step above a Titan.

It's sad to see people praise Jensen for these crap prices and performance increases over a generation that practically had no performance increase and prices that were a joke to the point that they resulted in lower total profit vs what they wanted. Then again, for someone like Jensen it was probably worth losing whatever amount of profit that was in exchange for getting people even more used to insane full-retard pricing.

Gee, who would have thought that a monopoly over the high-end of any market would result in horrific price-gouging. Just because you can afford it and don't care, doesn't mean you're not an asshole.

Silva likes this.
  14. AuerX

AuerX Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX2070 OC
    Why so emotional over other peoples spending habits?
    Lots of people out there that can afford nice things that are not assholes.
    Maybe you want other people to abstain just so that you can get a price you want?
    That's not how the world works, sorry to say.

pharma and Lily GFX like this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    While I think things are overinflated pricewise (to increase margins) you're also giving a relatively simple take on it.

You can't compare a 3090 to a 6800GT. No one is going to take you seriously if you compare it to a 6800GT. A modern GPU is at least 120x more complex than a 6800GT. It's build on a process that costs an order of magnitude more to develop. It's verified by a machine that costs more than the entire development cost of the 6800GT and they are simulated by design systems that cost more than the entire 6800GT. Nvidia itself had 1800 employees in 2004 - it has 13,000 now to support the massive hardware/software stack it needs to build out for each GPU.

Even if Nvidia maintained the same margins the price of cards still would have significantly increased.

pharma and AuerX like this.

16. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Only about $1000 overpriced (relative to already extremely high prices from a few years ago). This price gouging crud is insane! This is comparable to if a loaf of bread went to $49.99 to me. That's how over the top it is. I absolutely cannot believe anyone would pay anything close to these prices, but I guess they do? That sh** is more than I ever paid for a used car.

I bought a brand new 1987 (Long time ago, I know, but they don't cost $60,000 now) 750cc Kawasaki Vulkan motorcycle for the price of 3 of these cards.
    Would you trade this for 3 Video cards? INSANE!!!

kawasaki-vn750.jpg

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    You've never paid more than $2000 for a car? Bike is nice though, recently got a Street Triple RS but I think in hindsight I would have went for a cruiser like the Bolt/Vulkan or Bobber

XenthorX likes this.
  18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Nope. Never could afford a new one and most I paid was $1200 for used (priorities ;)). I road the $h** out of that bike though!

Ride.jpg

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    I have a job....but i also have rent to pay aswell as other bills oh and not to mention...eat, also that $1500 will turn in to 2500 by the time the scalpers get price bumped up.

20. AuerX

AuerX Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX2070 OC
    Scalping is a completely different matter, that can largely be avoided with patience.
    Obviously, no one should buy anything they can't afford.

TheSissyOfFremont and Lily GFX like this.