GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For purchases made online, you have the right to return the item without even providing any explanation for return. You shall be given full refund, excluding special circumstances.

GOD BLESS European Union
    :)

-Tj-, XenthorX and Undying like this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I am often speaking to someone in the US so was being cautious.

I'm going through a return to BK electronics after under 2 weeks of owning an Antimode atm, they stopped responding since I sent it back.
    I bought on a credit card so they get a bad record if they dont sort it and I get my money back regardless.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    It's the same here but only for unopened items. If you want to return something you opened than there has to be a problem with the product.

4. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    My Palit 3080 gaming OC is still working great without crashing. Looks like this card has one "MLCC". Max boost is pretty high without instability:
    2145mhz max boost

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/14029645

I love to be early adaptor :D:cool:

XenthorX likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Depends on the workload. Games stress cards differently you should try some of those instead being a 3dmark gamer. ;)

6. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Playing Hell let loose and the new Serious Sam 4. No crashes yet. Also played Battlefield V a few hours. Maybe I'm lucky ;)

XenthorX and Undying like this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I though you just enjoy all that hardware without some serious gaming but i guess i was wrong, sorry. :p

mohiuddin and nizzen like this.
  8. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    Are you sure about the boost stability???
    Considering the mild overclock if it really goes to 2GHz + stable then Palit made a really great job with these cards - I was not considering them to be a top quality brand - more like value...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Hey Jura, I didn't buy a card yet, but I just wondered what else there could be to worry about. You buy a card and get crashes, and apparently "nobody" messed up (except we now know AIBs probably cheaped out to some extent), and you just regret your purchase.
    I'll wait for the next lineup, TI card or 3080 20GB if anything. But usually I do well with the watercooled reference board ;)

10. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Friend bought EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 for his build, will be testing that GPU probably in October and let's hope and see how it performs and if it will be crashing or not

I'm not sure which one I will get, Asus RTX 3080 or 3090 TUF or Strix are GPUs which I will probably get, EVGA FTW3 are another one which seems are best with Asus

Same applies for me, will be waiting on RTX 3080 20GB and then I will decide

Who messed up this, looks more likely some AIB and Nvidia as well, who I will blame not sure

Early adopters been mislead by some AIB which is sad

If I will be getting one then it will be through the Amazon, their return policy is best and doesn't matter if its used or opened or not

Thanks, Jura

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I mean, I don't have a card, and I hope fellow gurus here suffer from such circumstances the least of all. No rights to complain here, just trying to show sympathy.
    But if I'd run into that I'd probably run up and down the walls by now, with the only solution being a downclock and / or undervolt. Not really what you want to do first after buying a brand new kick ass GPU.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    --
    OK, finished seeing the rest of the vid. He is not arriving at a final conclusion because he doesnt have the cards to test himself (with an oscilloscope). And yes, he is not in a position to blame any one without all the facts in hand, but he does rant quite a bit and repeats his thoughts that Nvidia is to blame more than once (other interesting notes too):

19:03 - I blame Nvidia for this. Nvidia should know better...
    26:20 - I blame Nvidia for this, just straight out, I would blame Nvidia
    34:03 - I'm surprised Nvidia has such loose design specifications that this can become an issue
    34:48 - If its getting unstable at stock because partners are shipping too high overclocks out of the box, then partners need to properly stress test their cards, like that I would blame the actual board partners for that in that case. And if its a case where Nvidia didnt give clear enough design guidelines then its Nvidias fault.
    35:25 - Theres a lot of GPUs where if you remove a bunch of capacitors behind the core they will still run stock fine. So I'm really surprised that this is an issue
    37:45 - If you're really on the edge of stability, very small differences in voltage regulation can make pretty drastic differences in terms of artifacting, crashing and that kind of thing. (other variables discussed, incl PSU irregularities, unclean power, which all in combination can contribute to this)
    40:50 - I'm really surprised this is an issue

AuerX likes this.
  13. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Coil whine is not a valid reason to send a card back. My friend has the same card and does the same noise.
    It's due to manufacturers choosing to cheap on VRM design and being pushed to the max the components vibrate. If the card had 2 more phases it would be silent, but it would also cost more.
    By undervolting it 100mV the whine becomes almost silent.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Are you sure about that??? I had a Corsair PSU that "developed" coil whine after 2 or 3 years of use, sent it back under the 5 year warranty and they gave a new and better one without any problem. I assumed the same applied to video cards.

southamptonfc likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, most will send you back a refurb.

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
  17. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Not at all. Could easily be a race condition that only occurs when operations take a very specific amount of time to complete, i.e. in relation to gpu speed compared to memory speed for example.

18. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I am sure about it. If I go to the shop complaining about coil whine they'll laugh in my face.
    They'll put the card on the test bench and test the VRM and other technical stuff. If the card passes all tests, they return me the card and send me home.
    It's just a noise that naturally occurs from electricity flowing through components. I had RX560 and it made no noise, because it was a 75W TDP card.
    If the card VRM is over engineered, the card will probably do less noise than it's fans. If not, it will be loud as hell.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Coil whine is caused by slight separations in the coil plates of a transformer that vibrate as AC passes through it.
    It is frequency dependent and current strength dependent.
    A high quality product will have either no gaps that respond in the operating frequency range or have good enough dampening to prevent it.
    It is not something you should expect as it can be very annoying.
    A warranty claim can be made, part of the card is sub standard.
    It is classed as a fault because it is not part of the products design and is detrimental to the enjoyment of the product.

20. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti