GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Could it be that people are using underpowered or old worn power supplies ? that can cause instability

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    AMD right now...
    tenor.gif

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I won't blame the cards just yet, need more info. It's just like games, a lot of people with faulty computers always jump to blame the game. This may or may not be in the same class, bad computer or computer habits, but blame the card anyway.

4. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No problem :) I had Evga GTX 780ti classified in SLI with Evbot, and they drew 650w per card. System drew a total of 1700w from the wall. Used 2x 1200w psu's. I am ready :D

Living in Norway, so cold enough outside. The house need som heat 10 months of the year. Atleast!

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I think a 650W is enough if you have a 3080 and 95w or less cpu not ideal mind but it shouldn't be a cause of issues or crashing.

Having only a single wire for both 8pins is bad i'd say but that too shouldn't matter if it's a single rail with enough amps. Hopefully it's just driver issues.

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-oc-problems.18899764/
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1248333-rtx-3080-crash/
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...x-3080-hitching-and-crashing-across-all-titl/

Traditionally, the cards nVidia sends out for review are cherry picked and often cherry configured, too. Their review cards are not supposed to crash and of course these cards receive a lot of time and attention beforehand to make sure they don't. The best reviews of the hardware come from off-the-shelf retail cards by AIBs, or standard production FEs. Probably in a couple of weeks or so results from mass-production cards will be showing up. Looks like nVidia is pushing things.

Also, it could be the new architecture is going to require a lot of time, like RTX originally did, before the drivers become stable, etc.

@ Netherwind I agree with you--shouldn't ever daisy chain 8-pin connectors. Even my AMD 5700XT uses a separate circuit connector for the 8-pin and the 6-pin connectors. I was surprised to find lots of people do this as well as use *extensions* even!

So many times people report problems with a new GPU which they blame on "drivers" when the culprit is a poor configuration of some kind in their systems.

7. Meathead01

Meathead01 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080
    I have learned to not buy on release. Its luck of the draw when it comes to the first release. I have had some great FE cards while on the other end I have had issues for months and having to send them back. 6600gt, 8800gtx's, 780's 980's,1080's and my current 2080. I am going to wait this one out and see what AMD brings, if its close it enough it may lower the price :)

8. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I do have the feeling that - at least in part - this situation is caused by a portion of the 3080 buyers not having a good-enough power supply for it. But it could also be related to drivers, this card has been out for barely a single week, the drivers might have to mature a bit (and I suspect that when it comes to drivers it'll be the same with AMD's cards as well for 1 or 2 weeks after release). It's really a case-by-case scenario.

Imagine NVIDIA trying to troubleshoot any potential problems internally when all they see are 'reports' of users saying "My games are crashing!".

Hum... ok, where do we start...

Is your system 100% overclocked to start with? CPU? Memory? GPU?
    Enough power? Good enough PSU? Do you meet the PSU recommendation?
    Have you installed the latest GPU drivers?
    How many games did you test? Have they ALL crashed? Or are the crashes happening in 1 or 2 particular games out of your 300+ games library?
    Did you re-install your previous GPU to check if everything is suddenly back to normal? (stable)

I mean, I can keep on going. It's typical troubleshooting with a process of elimination of potential scenarios that could take an entire day for each individual persons reporting the crashes.

The best thing to do right now is to wait, for sure. Come mid or late October the dust will fall and things will be much clearer as to potential known issues, and the 'right' cards to get based on performance and price ratio when both companies have their cards covering all the ranges (low, medium, high-end) on the field. For now it's a baby, new-born 3080 that is not even 2 weeks-old with people buying this thing in a rush just to get it, without necessarily making 100% that their PSU can even cope with it.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia said 750 for a reason, whatever you think on the subject is irrelevant.

Maddness likes this.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    some idiots are claiming the studio driver is more stable.

its the same driver code.

jura11 likes this.
  11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Generally agree re the PSU. A quality 650w is actually enough and has been tested with an i9-10900k OC'd to 5.1ghz (Corsair SF600). The reason Nvidia states 750w is when some users do not have quality PSUs capable of running at continuous rated power, so extra margin for safety understandable.

carnivore likes this.
  12. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB Gaming OC 3080
    Well, nvidia DO have a huge amount of tech people doing this every single day - I think its safe to say that they know what they're talking about when recomending a 750W PSU.

The fact that it's neccesary is a another subject.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Peaks from high spikes or transients could hit a lower wattage PSU although if it's short enough and the PSU and cables can handle it then it should be less of a problem but I don't really know how the GPU's look like if you were to push the wattage and power draw to where it could sustain a ~2 Ghz GPU clock speed for a longer sustained period of time.

NVIDIA has 1750 I think and review samples with the Founder Edition cards also being binned did around 1900 in boost clocks but some of the third party designs could aim for a somewhat higher power draw and that would then be possible to extend further with GeForce Experience even if it caps out at a lower 15% or so.

Think that's what TechPowerUp did for the 3090 in some cases so it was less power throttled and the resulting up to 19% performance lead instead of a 8 - 10% gain on the 3080 :)
    Binning and what the voltage scaling on the GPU then looks like and total power draw so 350W transients around 2x so 700W momentarily and quick millisecond shifts in fluctuation between low load and high load cycles for the PSU to handle.

EDIT: I need to read up on this a bit more though, AMD had this little issue with Vega going into 600W and then the ampere also at a high total for these transients but NVIDIA's had a more efficient design for Pascal and Turing.

AMD matched that of sorts with Navi though the default settings push this card pretty hard and some of it's third party custom models go even harder on the power delivery so it loses most of that efficiency.
    (Spikes upwards of 350 - 400W in any case, bit higher for custom settings of course including Wattman.)

EDIT:
    https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-step-ahead-and-the-gravestone-for-turing/12/

Short peaks at around (but a bit lower than) 500W so quite a bit better than my assumption. :)
    [​IMG]

But how would this shift with a higher power draw limit and a higher sustained clock speed.

Although if it hit the PSU like that then over current protection and other measures (There's a few of these on modern power supplies.) would be a system shut down not just a crash at least in the worst case.

EDIT:
    And then a lower quality less efficient PSU maybe a bit older so not quite peak performance as another factor.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  14. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB Gaming OC 3080
    The number of posts are also irellevant, as long as the tone of the matter is ok.
    I have 1300 posts, but have been around this forum for 16 years - so not new to the game.
    Who scolded you?

Deviating from a topic is fine as long as its done the right way and not lashing at people (not saying you did that).

15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    The crashing to me seems like the card becoming unstable at higher clocks, perhaps Ampere just doesn't like running at over 2Ghz for whatever reason. The PSU could be a problem if someone is using a pig tail 2x6+2 pin and not using separate cables but looking around I'd say the cards are not liking running at high clocks.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, I called it. A lot of people with poor cooling and/or weak power delivery.

nizzen likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Isnt it the AIB fault for pushing these to unstable clocks? They should've known cards cant reach 2ghz without crashing. FE is cooler and more stable, fail.

18. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    My understanding of the situation is AIBs didn't have a lot of time to get their cards out, perhaps they were rushed and GPU boost 3.0 being what it is the card will try and clock higher given the thermal and power headroom? I briefly had a MSI 2070S that was more annoying to work with because of that, and would crash because it was trying to boost at over 2100Mhz. BIOS updates will likely fix these problems.

19. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Yep, noobs tend to have more problems than others.
    People with no cards, tend to have even more problems with 3080/3090 :D

Maddness, Caesar and Dragam1337 like this.