GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Before we write this news item, I want to make it clear that we have yet to see an RGX 3080 crash ourselves. We did initially have an issue with F1 2020, but that was fixed with a driver update and a ...

GeForce RTX 3080 users report crashes while gaming

Evildead666 likes this.
  2. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I am not sure is such a better idea with the 3080
    link removed

Fediuld likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hmm, doesn't sound like a driver issue.

4. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    My last 2 nvidia cards have had the same issue. 970 / 2070s, in some games/certain engines the factory OC wasn't stable.
    Sounds like this time with the very limited headroom the factory OC cards have a high % of crashing as they are too close to the limit even without OC.

Either that or it's just driver issues. :)

5. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    what a shame with such an expensive card, also Zotac and EVGA are a crap partners, i advice to buy : nvidia ( gigabyte or the powered MSI); amd (sapphire or gigabyte or powered msi) all other partners are trash, and founder edition always comes with bad cooling system, i think that underclocking is not a good idea also overclocking is just a fast way to get artifacts and such problems, don't listen to those people that pushes us to do such a dumb things, and Guru3d should not suggest to people to do that.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That is a bit concerning really but then this is a power-hungry card and the first consumer card, I believe, that requires 2x8 pin connectors and 320W of juice.

Kind of glad that I was unable to buy an RTX 3080 at launch now as these people will now be beta testing the product for NVIDIA. I was going to purchase the Founders Edition card until I read the reviews of the ASUS TUF Gaming edition and its low load temperates of 62-65 C then decided that might be the more ideal card for me, especially as it was selling for £649, the same as the FE card. Problem is trying to get one of them.

I think I will wait before purchasing one, although I do have an 850W Corsair PSU, and see what the outcome is over the coming months. It is possible that the cards have a hardware flaw that only becomes apparent with heavy continuous use rather than just running dozens of relatively short-in-comparison benchmarks like what reviewers typically test when reviewing these products.

Turanis likes this.
  7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Well supposedly Nvidia didn't give the AIB's must notice to build there cards. It very well could be some sort of hardware issue, factory overclocks, unstable machines, drivers, under powered PSU's. Any number of those things.

Embra likes this.
  8. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    No probs, people still killing each other to get one of these cards.
    Turing 2.0 alias Ampere I mean Alpha test 0.1

9. urbancamper

urbancamper Member

GPU:
    RX 5700xt / 8gb
    Wow, sounds like a lot of people including me, where lucky we couldn't get the card yet. Not to say I don't still want one. Maybe it's time to wait a while and see what the rtx 3070s and AMD bring to the table. Kind of looking forward to moving to 4k.

Solfaur likes this.
  10. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    FE
    Screenshot_20200924-103737.jpg IMG_20200924_104239.jpg

Silva, sbacchetta and Fediuld like this.

11. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    If dropping 50-100mhz helps - What happened to safety margins of 20%? Or what we've come to take for granted as overclocks / Turbo?

At default clocks the GPU should be able to run 24/7 for 2 years especially in the EU as it's law (last time I looked).. even if your an 'anti climate' mining monkey.

Tesla's, Quadro's and GRID's all run lower clocks as they really can't crash even with air inlet temperatures of the server reaching @40c (to be honest none of the servers I worked on were never stable 40c at inlet but that's what the OEM's 'environmental specifications' say, so the customer should expect).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    JonasBeckman and carnivore like this.
  12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Who has the card has 2 choices, RMA or underclock. Underclocking is also part of a decent debugging of the problem, i m not sure why you say is dumb.
    You may want to wait a new firmware and not RMA yet figure out if is your PSU at limit because is or isn't a monorail and this kind of things.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they had months to design their cards based on the reference schematics.

14. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Could be related to windows power plan. My VR headset would set PP to high performance (which had power down HD after 20mins by default). Once the hard disk power down kicked in my pc would lock up and black screen. Turning the setting off fixed it.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Phew, hadn't had that problem yet but on the other hand the card only boosts over 2GHz occasionally and doesn't really stay there for a long time. Tried some OC while running FS Extreme and the card had no problem boosting up to 2070MHz for a short while but on the other hand such tests only last a moment.

Played Control yesterday which is quite demanding but I'd say that my clock average was 1950-1980. I'd check with HWInfo but since the card clocks down completely when entering menus or inventory it wouldn't give an accurate reading unless I just fool around for 2-3 minutes.

16. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    AMD blackscreen got enormous mount of backlash, lets see how Nvidia does....

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Guess you got one of the good ones ;)

The blackscreen isn't a crash as opposed to AMD's.
    It's literally VRR/Freesync displays going out of range and can be mitigated by turning the feature off screen side.

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Nvidia also got roasted over the space invaders on the 2080Ti. So they each get there fair share.

toyo likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah :) But I'm also wondering if it's due to people using one PSU PCI-e cable for both 8-pin sockets (if they have a dual socket card)? Seen 3080 videos where one can clearly see those daisy chained solutions. I always thought it's safer to use individual cables for each socket.

chispy, Kaarme and Maddness like this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    with all the talk about it, if they are they lose their rights to a pc :mad: