GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. mihai_m

mihai_m New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio X
    Hi,
    These are the facts:
    yesterday my new card MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio work perfectly in with 456.38 nVidia driver, no CTD in CoD MW,
    today with the new driver 456.55, after 30 sec, in CoD MW, at 60Celsius, CTD pop in, after restarting the game CTD again, after 2 min! :(
    Any thoughts!?

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

Say the driver told the cards to boost to 2.5ghz. Would it still be hardware? What if it was 3ghz? At what point would you say "okay the driver is just boosting too high and the hardware requirements cannot be met" ?

The AIBs perspective is that it already crossed that threshold. Also you're ignoring the fact that the AIBs couldn't test the cards prior to the initial launch driver. So for all we know none of them experienced this issue with Nvidia's test kit software.

AuerX likes this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Well I don't want the new driver to limit overclocking, perhaps I don't know enough about the new driver implementation.....it's not placing an absolute ceiling on the frequency is it? I mean if you overclock with an offset is it artificially limiting it to a max of say 2100Mhz no matter what offset you put in? If the driver is not implementing a ceiling then I suppose I don't mind.....like with the new driver perhaps you just need an extra 13Mhz offset or something to hit the same boost frequencies as the previous driver for example?

HARDRESET likes this.
  4. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    The video answers what I have wondered, swapping out some sp-caps for mlcc's did indeed yield extra headroom to the card.

Someone with a lot more knowledge will need to tell me any cost difference between manufacturing cards with the 2 SP caps vs 20 mlcc caps as seen in the video as I believe at least 1 manufacturer has claimed there is no saving.

DeskStar, jura11 and HARDRESET like this.

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Louis Rossmann must be licking his Iron :D

6. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Because if it only happens when OC'd past the factory clocks then sure its an end user issue.

If it does it right out of the box then it is a manufacturer issue.

"MESSAGE"

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Some manufacturers actually did ship different cards to reviewers prior to the NDA (obviously) and that was spoken about as well.

"Different" cards being that they did have a different "CAP" layout than what was actually on their production/shipped boards.

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I wouldn't use Doom@ 1440p' thats a serious CPU bottleneck right there.

alanm likes this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You didnt present evidence and are trying to change your safe "MESSAGE".
    Your original safe "MESSAGE" defined it an end user issue due to overclocking:
    This is not true.

As its the most heavily discussed topic on hardware forums, safe information should be easy to come by if you can filter out the fake posts.
    Read ahead a little, they are often corrected.
    ;)

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

you can't bios edit anything beyond pascal

since 2012.

As high as the bios allows them*

COD can get crashy just because its wednesday (and what maps you're on)

The driver doesn't set frequencies
    It works in tandem with the specified clocks in the card bios using algorithm that determines if the voltage is safe within the context of the current tdp and thermal situation for the steps on the table.

Wrong, can we get an answer from someone who has been paying attention?

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I never liked boost and never will dont like on the cpu like it even less on gpu, atlest on cpu it can be disabled

Maddness likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The cards biggest selling point is 4k performance. There it leaves a bigger margin over the 2080ti. Not to mention the RT improvements.

Lily GFX, Maddness and AuerX like this.
  13. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    The importance of boost clock in this argument depends on how Nvidia presents it to the customer. If it is advertised as a feature of the product and expected to work a certain way, failure to do so could be construed as breach of contract. I'm sure their legal teams have employed the same "up to" definition of boost clocks and their implementation to absolve them from responsibility though

14. kieron fleming

kieron fleming Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Gotta love nvidia new it would a simple driver fix bunch of trolls on the internet early adopters lol blah blah we back gaming no probs eat a peen to the ones who wasted their money on a 2080 or 2080ti keep staring at benchmarks oh the 2080ti runs 15fps slower if the wind is blowing east and the sun is set in the south trying to justify you wasting your money hahahahaha big peen in your mouth nom nom nom.

15. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Do you get charged for punctuation?

16. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    It's funny how these "sold out" rtx 3080 cards have these problems and I as a human of course did not even had a humanly chance to get one at release day.

17. brogadget

brogadget Active Member

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    With the driver update, nvidia seems to fix the caps issue by reducing boost frequencies a bit, so it may not be a problem for "normal" end users anymore. On the OC´s side, caps still can be a problem, but only in conjunction with shunt and/ or volt mods in a watercooling enviroment. I am not sure about PCIe 4.0 specs but max power draw at PCIe 3.0 bus is 75W and plus 2x (3x) 150W approx. from the PSU. When overclocking a RTX3090, I believe the card could draw almost up to 400W (even more with LN2). I have already seen AIB cards with triple 8pin connectors. In stock condition there is almost no headroom for overclocking, as it was in the past. The chips do not "spread" this much anymore due to high production quality. If you really need to OC an 3080/3090, I think, today, it is only possible with more power from the PSU and then the caps can be an issue again. I am not sure about the new 12pin connector specs regarding the power draw, therefore, for heavy overclocking and modding, it may be a good idea to buy an AIB card with 3x 8 pin power connectors AND 6 MLCC clusters. IMO the "normal" end user doesn´t have to worry about the card quality. I bet, at youtube there will be heavy modded 3x8pin RTX30 cards videos pretty soon, runnig more than 2100Mhz boost.... btw: anyone knows if there is a 12pin to 3x8pin PSU cable already? Anyway who cares? You even can´t buy the new cards, everywhere "out of stock"....

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia is not reducing any frequencies.

19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    Wonder if the boost reduction will affect 20 series and below too?:D
    I've only seen 2x8pin to new 12pin adaptors.
    And about the 30 series OC headroom, IMO it's a shame they run the same speed as 20 series thats for sure but no-one was expecting the cores to double. JUst sayin but yes i feel the 30 series has a little tarnish now and i'm sure its put folks off these two particular cards a little.

Hope not.:mad:

20. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Often corrected. Like this issue with the supposed caps. And Nvidia fixed it with a driver update.

Amazing how software can fix a hardware issue...

Or is it that people couldn't get their own shite straight and we're upset at their new expensive toy not reaching the "clocks" they liked to see...

It was (sounds to me) like a non issue from the beginning.

But if what I said doesn't make sense to you.... I said it is an end user issue if it happens when overclocking.

It is a manufacturer issue if it happens at stock...

"MESSAGE!!".

It isn't rocket surgery...